“Splashtopia Rocks!”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Tustin, CA
“Splashtopia Rocks!”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

First off let me say this is a beautiful resort. It’s very clean and up to date. The rooms are attractive, clean, and spacious.

We took our kids there primarily because of Splashtopia and we were not let down. It was a blast. They have plenty of rafts for the river and a good amount of life guards on duty at all times. I always thought it felt very safe for the kids.

Another person on here mentioned Splashtopia’s hours as being 10 to 7, but did neglect to mention the pool itself opens at 7 AM and stays open until 10 PM. So I’m not so sure why they had such a hard time finding somewhere to cool off. We were in the pool first thing AM and in there late at night. The pool was the perfect temp! The lazy river is a little warm, but still very nice.

There were two negatives we had during our stay. The first was the pool area wait staff. It was very short staffed as far as we could tell (this was a week day visit. W/Th/F). Waiters/Waitresses were far and few between. On the one time we decided to order lunch, it took 30 minutes to get someone to acknowledge our presence. When they finally brought us some menu’s, my wife asked if they would be back soon and the girl looked like we had just insulted her. Additionally the food is VERY expensive. Children’s menu items started at $10. Our lunch for 4 was close to $70 and not all that tasty. Luckily we found Sherman’s Deli right around the corner and had a number of meals there!

However over all I would say this we a very fun trip and would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

• Liked — Splashtopia!
  • Disliked — Wait Staff / Food Costs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Martin B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Korean first
Frederick, MD
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We could have booked just about any resort in the Palm Springs area but chose Rancho Las Palmas because of the newly renovated pool and lazy river they call 'Splashtopia". We were very disappointed with "Splashtopia". There was no shade, very little landscaping, mostly concrete, very uninviting. We have stayed at many resorts in the Palm Springs area and this one did not have that resort feel. On the positive side the room that we had was very nice. With the many places to stay in the Palm Springs area I would not recommend Rancho Las Palmas.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Pool area
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Horsenut47
Seattle
Reviewed July 10, 2008

My daughter and I went for a five night stay the end of June/first part of July. The pool area was very crowded, we had no problem finding a couple lounge chairs by the children's pool area, but I did see quite a few other families not so lucky. The lazy river was very warm in the hot sun, the larger pool was a bit more refreshing. The rooms are very clean, and the staff was always very friendly. As another post mentioned, the lifeguards do flirt with the teenage girls, but they were also very diligent in safety for everyone at the lazy pool/slide area. (a bit too lax at the large family pool, some questionable rough play going on and the lifeguard did nothing...) I think this resort should open another family pool, the family pool area's they had were way too crowded, it was hard not to bump into another person in the pool....yes, it was that crowded. We stayed in building six, perfect in everyway, not too close to the loud pool area, yet very close to the lobby and restaurant area. Overall I would not return, as it was just too big and crowded, and I tend to like the smaller properties.

• Liked — Clean accomodations
  • Disliked — Crowded pool areas
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank OliveK
California
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We just got back from a trip for the Fourth of July and it was the best!!!!!! Here is my take on this resort. If you have kids under 12-- it's a must! Splashtopia is fun but CRAZY! Be prepared, bring ear plugs and a good book, Fridays and Saturdays are busy but the rest of the weeks it's quiet. Saturday nights they put up a big screen around the pool and make it movie and swim night-- the kids love swiming at night!!! Make a spa appointment they have awesome deals and the spa and tranquil pool are soothing and regenerating! Food is expensive at the resort: $6 breakfast burrito, $7 beers, $8 hot dog, $11 Nachos, while we did buy there it wasn't cheap BUT don't worry because across the street is a spectacular out door mall surrounded by built in streams and waterfall/ponds and they have great dining!!! Baja Fresh, Cheesecakes, PF Changs, Pieros, Yardhouse, Flemmings Steak-- Our favorite to do was hit happy hour at the Yarhouse they appetizers were amazing especially their take on the California Roll!!!! Go between 5-6PM and order appetizers half price! We also loved Pieros Agua-- it was so delicious! Another quicky place that appeased my 4 year old was Marios Italian Cafe which is at the end of Bob Hope next to the resort. They serve authentic italian and the best cheese pizza--we went there 4 times during our 7 day stay. Don't miss out on the Palm Springs Aerial Tram. It's about 40 degrees cooler at the top and the view is incredible. Its fun going up and down as the floor rotates 360 degrees. We saw fireworks from our hotel balcony and hit up the outdoor market fest in down town Palm Springs on thursday night at 7pm. Knotts Soak City is great if you have teens too. All and all we will definitely be back! We will make sure we stay at the same resort and in our same room! We went and looked at other hotels and think Rancho Las Palmas is the best of all of them!

• Liked — Splashtopia, Scenery, Large accomodating rooms
  • Disliked — Key cards demagnetize easily.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank fultimevacaioner
South Orange County, CA
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My family of four (including 2 children ages 5 and 10) stayed at this lovely resort the week of June 21-28. I am very particular about hotel accommodations and hotel cleanliness, and I was very pleased with both the grounds, hotel room, and pool area. We stayed in the 600 building which was ideally located near both the main lobby and restaurants and the Splashtopia pool complex. Our family of four stayed in a room with 2 double beds. My only criticism of the hotel involves their choice in offering double-size beds versus queen-size beds. Though our children are young, I must concur with other reviewers who said they felt that the double beds were simply not large enough. That being said, I found the room to be tastefully decorated and very comfortable. We particularly enjoyed the lovely view off our patio.

The newly remodeled Splashtopia pool area is fun for both adults and kids. Though other reviewers mentioned having issues finding chaise lounges at the pool, we never had a problem finding 4 chaises together under an umbrella. This was the case every day of our stay, even though the hotel was "sold out" on several days during our stay. Additionally. we arrived at the pool at different times each day and never had an issue with seating. The pool area is a kid's dream, complete with lazy river, "squirty fountain area" and 2 water slides. This is all in addition to a standard pool. We spent every day, with the exception of the day we visited "Soak City" in Palm Springs, at Splashtopia and enjoyed each and every day. In terms of the water slides, as other reviewers mentioned, the lifeguards do enforce the 48" height requirement. My five year-old wasn't tall enough to go down the slides, but had a great time in the pool and the other water options. Food and drinks are available poolside. Both are pricey...typical prices for any resort food and beverage. My husband and I enjoyed several delicious cocktails poolside, but found the food to be adequate at best. After my first poolside lunch, I certainly was not re-ordering each day due to the delicious food. It was merely due to convenience. That being said, my children said they thought the food was great. I guess the chicken tenders and grilled cheese on the kids menu is quite good!

If you are traveling with young children, I recommend bringing a DVD player from home. The flat screen TV in the hotel room has easily accessible jacks, and we very simply plugged in a DVD player we brought along. This proved to be helpful when we needed a break from the sun and heat. We were regular customers at the video store located at Monterey and Country Club Drive. They had many rentals that were 99 cents. After a full day at the pool, we all enjoyed "movie nights" back in our hotel room! A side note for parents, the hotel does not have Disney Channel, and we found the "kids channels" offered to be sorely lacking in appropriate children's programming.

Aside from eating poolside, we did not dine at any of the onsite restaurants. You have several good options, such as Cheesecake Factory, The Yardhouse, and P.F. Chang's, right across the street at The River. Additionally, there is a Pat & Oscars at the Westfield Shopping mall about 10 minutes away. You will also find Mimi's Cafe and Ruby's Diner very close to the resort on Highway 111. Both are great choices for families with kids. If you are looking for a delicious, step back in time, don't miss a visit to Louise's Pantry located about 15 minutes away in La Quinta. Louise's has been a long-time landmark in Palm Springs since 1945. Customers would line up for a table at lunchtime. They still offer up homemade comfort food, and fresh baked pies and cakes. The original Palm Springs location no longer exists, but locals and tourists alike still seek out the good food at the newer location in La Quinta. For breakfast, try the breakfast quesadilla. Children will enjoy the Minnie Mouse pancakes. Don't miss their homemade jam, too. For lunch, their kitchen beef sandwich is both flavorful and very lean. Unfortunately, we never saved room for the famous pies and baked goods, but they sure looked good in their bakery case.

Rancho Las Palmas is a lovely resort that proved to be a delightful vacation spot for our family. We are all eager to return again next year.

• Liked — Great pool area, attractive room, good dining nearby.
  • Disliked — Onsite dining wasn't very appealing.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Luckymommy
DOWNEY, CA
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We usually stay at JW Marriot but we thought we would try the new Splashtopia for the kids. We loved it. The day we got back we were already planning our next trip there which will be in July. This resort is perfect. The RIVER is accross the street which has a Cheesecake Factory and other great restaurants. This place is PERFECT!!! I highly recommend it to anyone!

Stayed June 2008
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2008

My friend and I stayed at this resort for 3 nights in early June after finding an excellent deal on Orbitz. We stayed in two Vista King rooms. Mine was on the ground floor and my friend's was on the second floor. I would recommend requesting a second floor room for a little more privacy. They have balconies rather than patios that are right along the walking path. The rooms were very clean and well furnished. The bed was very comfortable with great bedding and a ton of pillows. The room also has a large flat screen TV, couch and a desk. I had a great wireless internet connection in the room. We went to the spa on our first full day there. The spa was great and the services were wonderful. I had a great massage and enjoyed lunch by the spa pool. The resort had a few issues. The whole time we were there the staff was telling us how busy it got on the weekends. When Saturday came they were completely unprepared for the amount of guests. The first couple of days were there the Tranquility pool was all set up with towels on every chair, extra towels and ice water on the side and the umbrellas up. When we arrived at the pool on Saturday they were cutting down branches, there was not a towel to be found and none of the umbrellas were up. Even after we complained at the desk about the towels it took about 30 minutes for them to show up. The food was VERY expensive and not that great. We ate breakfast at Blu Ember and the service was extremely slow. The café by the pool didn't have a lot of options and ran out of the healthy breakfast items very quickly in the morning. The waiters and staff were all very nice and helpful but it seemed like they didn't have enough people working at any of the pools or restaurants. Despite the service issues I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely go back. The time to visit is mid-week before the crazy weekend rush overwhelms the resort.

• Liked — Great spa, Adults only pool
  • Disliked — Slow service and overpriced restaurants
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!