“Ideal Corporate Destination”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
San Diego, California, United States
“Ideal Corporate Destination”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The resort has a beautiful hacienda style layout. My room was easily one of the best I've had the pleasure of staying in. The bed was perfect (and I am picky) and I slept beautifully. The layout of the property lends itself to privacy for the most part with 8-10 rooms per unit. Walking the grounds to the meeting rooms for the conference was easy and beautiful.

The rooms are large and had a good-sized with lovely views. I had a large king bed and the furniture was well appointed. The bath was a very spacious and accommodating.

There is a large shopping complex across the street with good restaurants & a movie theater, but the chef on property is well worth avoiding the stroll.

I did not indulge in the Spa, but I did stroll though and it looked very inviting had I had more time. Having said everything positive I can think of, and the 5M renovation they just completed, the staff is what really made the trip memorable. Each one I interacted with was super friendly and efficient. I would recommend this hotel over the other choices in the area for corporate events

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed 1 night, coming from San Diego. What a find! 2 hours door to door (so close yet so far). Came with 13 year old son. The resort is very large, clean, and beautifully landscaped. End of June is a perfect time to go; temp around 100.
Check in was easy; but we were early so our room was not ready yet. Here's service: they gave us our Splashtopia wristbands anyway, so we had something to do while we waited. Then -- the staff texted my husband when the room was ready. Another example of service observed: staff members were driving through a parking lot and a random guest asked for a ride to the front/reception area. No phone calls asking permission to drive a guest in the cart.. he just helped the guest and gave him a ride.
Our room was in the 900 building. For us -- not overrun with little kids -- this was perfect. Close enough... far enough... from the pool / lazy river / water slide area. Families with little kids might want to be in the closer buildings.
I did not observe ANY of the construction previous reviewer talked about. And as for birds.. well of course there are birds. I think I saw one.
The room (king bed with pull out sofa) was VERY spacious with a beautiful balcony overlooking the golf course. My husband and son played golf and the price was ridiculously reasonable. I didn't catch the name of the (what's the term?) golf helper but his service was excellent in ensuring they had a good time on the course.
The pool / lazy river / water slide area was PACKED with families so if this is not your scene; there is also an adults-only pool closer to the main reception area and restaurants. There are plenty of lifeguards but with so much going on, parents really need to watch their little ones of course.
The Lazy River was very nice but crowded: like "bumper tubes" on peak days. The water slides were fun even for this 50-something mom. Finding empty chaise lounges was a challenge; and if you want something in the shade you either need to get there very early (but no reserving lounges and coming back later), or rent a mist-filled cabana. Footwear and a hat is a must; the pavement is really hot. There is food / bev service at the chaises and the servers are very friendly and not pushy. The wristbands get you complimentary towels. You can bring your own floaties, etc. into the pool but not the lazy river.

For dinner: there is a nice restaurant on site: Blu Ember. Also a cafe for more 'grab n go' type things. BUT right across the street at the River (mall), there are lots of choices: We had lunch at "Five Guys" and dinner at The Cheesecake factory. You can walk there. There is also The Yard House, PF Changs, and Flemings. And.. Ben and Jerry's.
(the nearby area - short drive - has SO many other options as well; Olive Garden, Tilted Kilt, Johnny Rockets, Islands.. and more).

After a good night's sleep (the sofa bed worked out great and the King bed was very comfortable), we had breakfast in the Blu Ember Restaurant. (Our 'living social' deal came with a $50 breakfast credit and included the resort fee). For 3 buffets it was $75. They also have
plated options. The service was fantastic, and maybe because I just wasn't hungry; was not overly impressed with the buffet (for the price). One tiny annoyance was, the "tongs" you use to pick up the fruit, pancakes, bacon etc. from the chafers were very difficult to use. Seriously, even my husband couldn't close the tongs to pick up the pancakes so we used a fork. Akin to that 'grab' arcade game where you try to pick up stuffed animals. Minor thing but could be easily corrected.

Overall I would return here IN A HEARTBEAT. I'm already planning a group trip of friends / families.. or a family reunion...

Room Tip: upper level floor if you don't have little kids or accessability problems. No elevators. 900 bui...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as a three day getaway while the kids were gone. It was perfect. The adult pool is a nice touch to keep things a bit quiet, as well as the rooms that they hotel tries to keep fewer families in. The spa facilities and treatments were well worth it. And above all the staff was great. After walking around the resort a bit, my wife and I agreed that it would also be a great place to come back with the whole family and use the water park elements.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I had the opportunity to experience this amazing resort June 19-24, 2013 for a client meeting and I cannot say enough great things about this property. From its classic desert resort class & style to the exemplary service at every turn - this venue not only met but exceeded every expectation we had for our executive board of directors retreat for the MPI San Diego Chapter.

I would highly recommend this venue for any meeting/event planner looking for the next level up of service and accommodations, meeting space and food & beverage. The Conference Services staff were some of the best I have seen in years. Their attentiveness to our every need from the room set to the A/V, the food & beverage to flexible scheduling was simply amazing.

I understand that it will be managed by Omni Hotels and Resorts starting next week and I hope that a large national brand like this doesn't come in and take away its charm and beauty. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this venue except to say that if you are a meeting and event planner looking for a special place for your next meeting - you must consider this property - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I loved being on the ground floor (with a patio instead of a balcony) because it gave me easy outsid...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NYCWebDude
Irvine
Reviewed June 17, 2013

in it's hey day, this was the pride of the Marriott Resorts, but now its a changed, upgrades to the style are nice the quite tranquil rooms have been replaced with screaming kids and a noisy water park, the golf course is no longer a challenge but in decent shape. Resort fees and food and beverage are high and the quality is not the same.

The resorts like these don't give you value and the hotels which include your breakfast and other subtle amenities have more value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am a little late writing this review as I stayed here in October 2012 for a conference. However, I had a good experience and wanted to share. The resort is a sprawling complex with multiple buildings scattered about. My room was on the second floor in a building that overlooked the golf course on the western edge of the resort. There are no elevators so if you have mobility issues, request a first floor room. The bellman drove me and my luggage in a golf cart to my room and he carried my bag upstairs and got it all situated for me inside the room. He told me to call for a cart anytime I needed it but found that walking the grounds to the meeting rooms for the conference was a nice way to break up all the sitting inside I was doing.

The room is large and had a good-sized balcony that overlooked the golf course and the mountains. I was very pleased with my view. Inside, the large king bed and furniture were in that California rustic style. The bath was a little narrow and was probably not updated since the 70s but there was a certain charm about it. There was even a dressing table oppose the sink. The water pressure was great for saying it's the desert. I appreciated the ceiling fan because that allowed me to shut off the AC (for once) and sleep with the door to the balcony open to enjoy the cool desert night.

You can walk across the street to the large shopping complex where there is a movie theater and some restaurants. I found that a convenient option for escaping the resort and get a break from the conference. I just enjoyed finding time to sit on my balcony and watch the golfers...

Housekeeping was good and my room smelled clean every time I walked in. While I did not get to enjoy the pool area, I did walk by and it looked like lots of fun for families, that being said, I was also very glad my room was no where near it. Every staff member I interacted with were friendly and efficient. I have no complaints about my experience at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lakeflyer
Blythe, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time, we came for the river pool only problem was we were told by two seperate people that the river pool closed at seven and it closed at six right when the other half of our group got there.

• Stayed June 2013
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!