“Rancho las palmas”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Midland, Texas
“Rancho las palmas”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Overall the experience was good. The only real negative was the pillows. They were awful. the rooms were nice and the bed was great. The spa was excellent. Our room rate included breakfast which proved to be a great value. The facility is older but really well maintained. We enjoyed it enough that we would stay there again. It was only 5 minutes from great shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for buildings 600 thru 1000. Otherwise you have a long walk
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Korean first
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Do not come here for peace or relaxation. My husband and I came for a weekend away from our children. We requested a quiet room (2 months in advance). Our room (at $300 a night) was between two families with toddlers. Our lake view room was on the second floor of a heavily traveled path (think Disneyland) and near the main buildings with a loud outdoor band that played until 10 pm Friday and Saturday night. The WORST part was management response. They showed us two options for a move. One was even louder since it was closer to the band. The other was in the back corner of the property with no view. We decided we would move but wanted to make sure our room price would be altered due to the room downgrade for quiet. We never received a call from the manager. Horrible service for this type of hotel. We will never return. Lots of better hotels. Save yourselves a big headache. If you love the zoo- go here.

Room Tip: Don't bother requesting anything. They don't listen, care or follow up.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank S9l1
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I've stayed here maybe 6 times. Location is the most ideal for our family as it is close to The River (food), El Paseo (shopping), and not far from Hwy 74 Palms to Pines (which we take from San Diego). Facilities are very nice. Restaurant is ok. I would never eat there if I weren't staying there, but when we purchase the deal that comes with the $50 restaurant credit, I have no qualms eating there.

My issue is with the clientele. As the previous reviewer stated, the pool/"water park" area is WAYYYYY overcrowded and it really seems as though there is some sort of deal given to local residents to use the pool for the day. The last time we were there I asked about this and they assured me that they do not sell day passes, but it really looks as if everyone from Knotts Soak City decided to come to the hotel pool. I just can't believe that all of the people there could be guests. Every time I have taken my kids to the pool in the summer it feels like I am at a pool party full of Raiders fans (judge if you like, but I'm being honest). Perhaps they cram the rooms full of 10 people to afford it. At the prices they charge it just seems like the pool area should be much more upscale. Instead it feels trashy. It's really a shame because this is such a nice place and all of the staff have been EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. I think they need to do a MUCH better job of monitoring the pool. Otherwise you are going to lose guests like me that have the wherewithal to purchase spa services, eat at the restaurant, etc.

Going to these resorts isn't cheap. So please make it so the pool area doesn't feel cheap. Otherwise we're headed to a more expensive resort without the crowding and trashy atmosphere (pool area only). If I'm paying good money, I want high quality. If it weren't for the water park, I'd give this place 4.5 stars

Actually, I was also disappointed by the only spa service I received. It was some sort of "hot bath" and the water was luke warm at best. I mentioned this multiple times to the spa person and they literally could not get hot water to come out. I just feel like someone spent a ton of money to renovate this place and is now trying to make up for it by cutting back on quality.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Rooms have either patios or balconies so you can watch the sunset behind the mountains... A lazy river for the kids, great food in their restaurant and room service. Service is Amazing! front desk staff is so accommodating and even brought me up a mini fridge because I was staying for a week and brought some of my own food. I love this place

• Stayed August 2012
San Diego
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just returned from a great Mother's Day stay at this resort. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The check-in area, courtyard with Palms Café, adult pool and the main restaurant is beautifully designed, with lights and fireplaces in the evening. We stayed in a golf course facing room on purpose to be away from the noise of the main and kid's pool. Rooms are spacious enough for four people, loved the bathroom with sink on one side and a separate vanity space on the other. Minibar and little kitchen kind-of-area with free coffee. Bed was cozy, the sleeper sofa however uncomfortable. If travelling with 4 people, better option is the two queen beds. Food at the breakfast buffet was ok, nothing outstanding, but fine. Food at the pool grill was good. What is most amazing about this place is the service. Starting from the front desk, the pool attendants, the oh so many life guards - every single person is friendly and efficient. I point this out because on Mother's Day weekend the place was packed with kids and families - there was no chaos - everything was taken care of, organized, so many times the pool attendants cleaned up trash after people - AMAZING! We got a complimentary check-out granted two hours later than planned and were eternally grateful for that - two more hours of pure bliss. The Spa is the escape button from all the kids and a wonderfully quiet, well kept sanctuary. The shopping mall with many good restaurants is just two minutes across the street. Wonderful place, warmly recommended.

Room Tip: I would chose the fountain view room next time around.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hurley, New Mexico
Reviewed May 13, 2013

this was one of the best spa days i've ever had! i was visiting family so did not stay at the hotel but from what i saw (& heard!) it's fabulous. the spa was my destination & i LOVED it! i had a massage & facial package (hour each) for under $300, full access to all the amenities like the pools, saunas, etc. it was heavenly, heavenly, heavenly. i will definitely be going back....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We live in Sydney Australia. Each year we holiday at Rancho Las Palmas because it has everything a holiday should be. The location is superb. The resort is beautiful and offers a wonderful package of good accommodaton, good food, a beautiful setting and staff that really go out of their way to be make your break just perfect.It can be a little expensive but it is truely worth every dollar spent. Give it a go.

Room Tip: If you do not have children, chose a room not too close to the pools used by the children. It can be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!