“A family resort Im willing to give a second chance. Right on the money in most respects but a huge miss in the service and attit”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Recommend for couples and families with young kids! The beautiful landscape, and the splashtopia area for the kids are the main attractions. I wouldn't so much stay here for a romantic trip without kids...although very romantic and enchanting in some respects, there are a few areas when it comes to convenience, and service where they miss the mark.

Pros and Cons:
PRO: Esthetically very beautiful. Reminds me of an enchanted Mediterranean village nestled around a prestine golf course. Lakes, ponds, trees, fish, frogs and birds are all a part of its splendor.
PRO: POOL AREA: absolutely grand and perfectly laid out. Different pools including a spa pool. Each for different needs. Free use of sand toys for the kids! THANK YOU!!
Kids areas: MIXED REVIEW: the sand pool is absolutely perfect for young kids! My daughter Ava loved loved loved it. However it opens at 10am and my daughter wakes up at 8:00am as most kids do begging to play in the sand! The hours are too restrictive.
SERVICE: CON: the service at the pool is very poor.....service is slow but also the attitude was frustrating. The lawn chairs are SO CLOSE TOGETHER ITS ANNOYING!! With NO WHERE to put food or drinks!! Or room to walk on the sides!! Thry didn't have little side tables etc....so we were all forced to crawl over our food and drinks to lay down on the chairs OR put the food and drinks on the sand. Also sitting that close to people you don't know is uncomfortable. I chose to stand most of the time instead.
If you have a complaint or suggestion fir the staff they seem to have an "I don't care, it ain't my place or my job to care" attitude.

After speaking with other guests they felt the same way across the board EXCEPT for the salon/spa. Service and attitude there was wonderful!
Front desk gives attitude when booking rooms and asking for a late check out.
It helps to go through a travel agent as we did to lessen the one on one interaction. When ordering food or a crib etc.....always put on hold and had to wait.

FOOD: overall GREAT! But wish they had more choices at the pool area. Restaurants are wonderful but the music kinda ruined it for me. The band playing bad wedding music instead of sexy jazz or Spanish music - as the atmosphere suggests!
Room Service: just OK. We asked for hard boiled eggs and they brought a broken egg which upset my husband etc.... It's the little things that count.

Speaking to one of the managers was received well, but the next day the lawn chairs were still all crammed beside eachother and no changes were made....very simple changes.

Awesome having a Starbucks in the morning, and enjoying the splendor of this magnificent property.

I will come back again perhaps, hoping the things mentioned above have improved. its the little things they say....that can ruin relationships.

At this point I prefer ClubMed IXTAPA.......the property isn't as nice but the attitude of the staff is addictive!! they LOVE their job and it shows!! incredible!! They are a genius at it! You leave feeling like FAMILY! Isn't that what you want on a family vacation after all?

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank TANYAMEMME
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Tanyamemme -

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Lots of good feedback which we have shared with our management team. In regards to corwded conditions at Splashtopia, please note you traveled in the very busiest time for the resort, and we'd love to welcome you back when it is a bit quieter. Thanks for your great comments on the spa and salon as well!

Best Regards
Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

There are newer reviews for Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This property is now one of the older resorts found in this desert community that has been, for a long time, the favorite destination of Hollywood celebrities and business titans and while it may show its age it is very clean, well run and well maintained.

In a certain way just visiting the property allows you to remanisce about what were assuredly the golden days of the southern California desert resorts. The grounds are full of colorful flowers and carefully manicured lawns, something that requires a lot of attention. You can just imagine Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, jackie Gleason, Arnold Palmer and others spending time here in the good old days when a round of play was $20, gas was 25 cents a gallon and scotch and water could be had for a dollar.

The layout of this property is one that takes advantage of the golf course in a low density arrangement of units that are only two stories over 30 locations. You can park your car in front of your building, or you can use the golf cart service provided by the resort. The rooms are updated, exceptionally clean and offer all of the modern conveniences. Every room has a balcony that has nice outdoor furnishings encouraging the occupant to sit outdoors, enjoy the view and get some fresh air.

If you are here for business you'll be happy with the wirless internet found throughout the property. Basic access is included with your room and a higher bandwith option is available for $14.95 per day.

The rooms, even though the resort was fully booked during my visit, are very quiet and I'm a light sleeper. The only noise you will probably notice would be the birds that are early risers in the morning but for me it wasn"t a problem. Speaking of the rooms as these are all two story units you never have to wait for an elevator, a real plus in the world of high density high rise mega towers.

On the con side the primary restaurant Blu Ember, is tired, the menu is limited, it needs a huge facelift and some maintenance. The staff is very attentive but the food isn't really interesting in the least. The lunch menu in particular offers little in the way of variety when you have to eat there four days in a row. I also suggest you forget eating the lobster cake....I've had better (volume and quality) at half the price.

Overall a nice stay in a town that has abonded the glory days of yesteryear and now has embraced the obligatory big box culture which assures an environement not so much different than what you might have at home. When I found the Home Depot and Sam's Club here I knew this would probably be one of my last visits.

Room Tip: Try Haru Sushi, off premises, great food, better service. Visit the Palm Springs Air Museum when yo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear P K -

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The valley has changed over the years but there are still definite signs of old world Hollywood at every corner that we try to celebrate. We consider ourselves Rancho Mirage's resort, and are currently celebrating the Cities 40th anniversary!

Best Regards
Rancho Las Palmas

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The resort is nicely landscaped, room has good size. We stayed at building 2300, has a good view of the golf grass.

Here are the things that didn't work for us:
1. There were no telephone connections in our room, both phone were died. The front desk knows this was a problem, never send anyone to fix it. To order a spa service I have to use my cell to call the 1 800 number and being transferred many times. I read someone had the same problem in the review here.

2. The toilet clogged, can't call anyone to fix it. I had to walk pretty far to find a resort phone to get their attention, and I had to call twice.

3. The pool area were nice for the kids but the life guard wasn't nice. I lost my glasses in the pool, she was not willing to help, told me to go to lost and found later that day. When my husband spotted it in the pool, the life guard told another guest to get it instead of herself jumping into the pool. Isn't it suppose to be her job?

4. When we checked out, we complained, they agreed to give $100 credit right away, we didn't check all details on the bill. Later on I saw there were one breakfast charge and one drink charge that we didn't even had. That ends up about $50 dollars.

5. Bottom line is, I will never come back. The room is getting old, furnitures all have scratches, AC is loud, doors have finger print, not being cleaned, sofa bad was in bad condition, feel bad for my kids had to sleep on them.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Castlerock0908
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My family of 6 stayed here last year and had a great time, however it was in March. The lazy river, slides, etc, are fantastic for everyone. We went back this year, but it was a few weeks later. It's obvious that they are not properly staffed when they're full. It was a 20 minute wait to ck in. We were to be in our room by 4. They called at 4:10 and said the rooms were ready. When I picked up the keys, they said the other room was being cleaned. this was a problem as we're meeting friends for 6pm reservations. When I got there, the other room hadn't even been started. We didn't get it unitl 5:35. Needless to say, all 6 had to leave the pool early and use the same shower, haul luggage back and forth, etc. I was told that manager would call me, but he never did.

My room was rarely cleaned before 4:30 the entire week.

We would go to the breakfast stand at 8:15 in the morning, and they would be out of cereal and plain bagels. I could understand if it was 10:30, but not 8:15!

Finally, when they are full, the lazy river is jam packed. It was hard to find a tube, and when you did, you were surrounded. The facilities can't handle it. If you don't get a chair by 8:30, you probably won't.

Bottom line, don't go if it's a busy time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Greg O
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Greg O -

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and alerting us to your experience. Thank you for being a loyal, repeat customer, and Id like to apologize that your experience was not up to par with your visit last year. We would love to welcome your family back at a quieter time and show you the service you are used to experiencing on past visits.

Regards,
Rancho Las Palmas Resort

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was a bit nervous coming to this place after reading the reviews. However, we had a great time! It was during spring break - extremely crowded. The check in staff was pleasant. We had to wait till official check-in (4 p.m.) for our room, which is acceptable. You are free to use the pool until then. The Splashtopia is mass chaos, thousands of kids. That's ok b/c my kids were right there in the thick of it. Lucky for us adults the drink waitress came around frequently and we found a chair and umbrella. The room was recently remodeled and large. The rooms with 2 doubles are exactly that --doubles-- not queen size beds, so it can be tight with older kids. There is plenty of space for a roll-away bed or your aerobed from home. Bathrooms were nice. Plenty of towels and nice amenities & hairdryer. Easy to use room safe. Mini bar and snack station (for a charge of course). Internet spotty (I seem to run into this everywhere!) We did have a problem eating lunch at the restaurant. The service was so bad that it must of been some kind of fluke day. It just couldn't be that bad all the time. There is a Starbuck's cafe in the lobby area that is handy in the morning. The resort is located across the street from a mall with additional restaurants. We were there at a peak time and yes we had to move early (8-9 am) to get pool chairs at Splashtopia. However, many famiiles pack it up at 2/3p.m. and head indoor so it seems like you could always find something. Would we go back here? Yes! the kids had a good time. It was "easy." Email me any questions!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank cheryl5418

Dear cheryl5418 - Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and glad to hear your family had a great trip!

Regards,
Rancho Las Palmas

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I bought a package that included 2 nights, dinner and spa for two. It was our first time to RLP. Had to wait for our room until 4:00 but we spent it poolside at the adults only pool. The grounds are beautiful. While not among the newer resorts, it is well kept and has has a very relaxing atmosphere. Our room was very spacious and had obviously been upgraded in recent years. While it's not a 5-star kind of place, it is very decent and comfortable. We had dinner at the onsite restaurant Blue Ember. The food and service were excellent. Better I would say than a lot of hotel restaurants with bigger reputations. The next day, I played golf offsite and my wife went shopping. Afterwards, we went to the spa. She had a facial and I got a therapeutic massage. The spa staff were attentive and well trained. We haven't been to many spas but this one seemed quite nice. We headed to the pool for drinks. The Splashtopia looks great for kids but its a bit crazy for couples. For our second dinner, we walked across the street to The River which has a great selection of dining options. This is a significant plus in our opinion. Overall, a great weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bioengr
Reviewed April 5, 2013

About the place being run down, sure it's not brand new, but how many huge resorts are brand new? It's certainly not "seedy" as someone said in a post. We found the grounds and rooms to be quite nice. Our family of four (children 8 and 10) had a great time. If you go during peak times like spring break when we did, the family pool and Splashtopia will be VERY VERY CROWDED. Try to avoid the weeks before and after Easter would be my guess. I really do not like crowds myself, but the kids had such a great time swimming that I got used to them in relatively short fashion. I even swam a lot and went down the waterslides and usually I don't do that type of thing. This place is definitely a super fun place for families, especially kids ages three to twelve or so. Teenagers will probably be bored unless they have friends with them, but then again teens will be teens.

A couple of tips: bring in some food and drink with you to your room to reduce the amount of times you might eat at the resort...this will save you some significant cash. Also, no need to wait in line for an hour before Splashtopia opens to get good chair seats. Just show up a few minutes before it opens and you will get a great seat. Finally, staying more than three nights at this place is probably one night too long.

All in all we had an awesome time. The place is super for families!

Room Tip: Rooms next to pool are really not that noisy. They will, however, not give you direct access to poo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!