“RIP OFF for families during the last weekend of September”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
West Covina, California
“RIP OFF for families during the last weekend of September”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have reservations for this weekend and we made them EXCLUSIVELY because of their Splashtopia Waterpark. We just discovered that the waterpark is closed because of yearly maintenance. Keep in mind that this"yearly maintenance" was not disclosed online when we made the reservations for our first vacation at this resort. Consequently we called the resort and tried to at least get a refund on the resort fee, but of course this was met with a "No, but you can come back again." Really, ruin a vacation and expect us to return....NEVER. Try not to advertise something that doesn't exist!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Colleen C
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Colleen C,

We deeply regret that the repairs at Splashtopia impaired your experience so drastically. Please know that while we have no choice but to invest time in maintenance for the slides in order to keep them safe and in optimum condition, the time frame this year was a little out of the ordinary. The company that comes in and takes care of the facility for us advised that the work would have to be completed immediately after a very busy summer of high usage. In years past we have been able to have them take care of the slides in early December when the weather is less pool friendly and we have fewer travelers staying at the resort. Please accept our most sincere apologies and feel free to contact our Guest Service Director at GuestExperience@Rancholaspalmas.com for assistance in resolving this matter for you. We want our guests to feel like Rancho Las Palmas is a second home and that our staff is like family, it is not acceptable for a guest to ever feel unappreciated and we would delight in the opportunity to make this right for you.

Rancho Las Palmas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have not even checked into the "resort" yet, and I have had about the WORST customer service I have ever encountered! I booked my trip through Expedia.com, based on the "family atmosphere" advertised. Twenty-four hours before my trip, I discover that the cornerstone of my vacation, Splashtopia, will be closed for ANNUAL MAINTENANCE. Why wasn't this on the website? If it is annual, shouldn't this notice be provided to potential guests? I was even told, by an employee, that they received (email) notice of the closure ONE WEEK AGO! I booked this trip over one month ago. When I asked for a cancellation, or even a change of date, all I was told was about the FEES associated with my change of plans. I DIDN'T SCHEDULE THE MAINTENANCE dates to conflict with my trip!!! My children are heart-broken. I was even told that there would be no credit- no remedy to the situation. Talk about putting the customer LAST. Now I have to pay additional fees to go to the pool at Morengo, so that my children feel that they are having a vacation, too. I am so glad that my husband coordinates golf tournaments for a fortune 500 company and has lots of business associates. I will have him raise a banner to EVERY COMPANY with which he does business to STAY AWAY from any bookings at Rancho Las Palmas for any golf outing. I am also glad that I work in academia; I can definitely make sure any institution in our consortia STAYS AWAY from booking this property as well. I love Palm Desert, but this is definitely not worth the heartache. I will be canvassing the internet to post reviews on this property to EVERY site available to the public. I HOPE that I can say something positive after my visit; but the precedent has been set for an AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE. I might be only "one guest" on the phone; but, in reality, I am legion.

6 Thank 888DeDe
los angeles
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great pool area for families and adults. Good food at the restaurant and bar. Outdoor seating for cocktails with live music. Good sized rooms with pool or golf course views. 27 hole golf course nearby. The River Mall area with restaurants, bars and movie theaters just across the street. Reasonable rates available during summer months.

Room Tip: Choose a room with golf course or pool view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank extinguished
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

the staff is great! we had a very pleasant time with their help! the front desk was a little wait, when we got there, by the pool the waiter went out of his way to bring us an extra tray to make it easier to eat for our kids by the pool, he had a smile whenever he saw us, at the blue ember restaurant after ordering my 2 years olds melt down kicked in & the waitress was so nice to move our food outside by the music that she was calmer.. thank you for extra work.

Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

QUICK VERSION: Perfect first family vacation - I CAN'T WAIT TO COME BACK.

My husband and I have been reluctant to go on vacation since we had our daughter. However, now that she is nearly 2 years old, we were desparate need of a family vacation. All I wanted was a place that had a lazy river, all else was icing.

When we arrived at RLP, we were greated and happy to see what a beautiful resort it was. Not only was it easy to find, but the place felt like a resort without feeling like I needed to be too dressed up. (I dislike it when I have traveled for 2 hours to then feel like I am underdressed or that my car-wrinkled clothes make me feel self conscious - - and I wasn't disappointed upon arrival!) The lobby was beautiful, there were clearly marked directional signs as to where the spa and boutiques were.

When I made my online reservation I was offered the 'upgrade' and when we arrived I ended up declining the upgrade becasue I didn't think our upgraded room was all that much better for the $9. In the end it still stayed on our bill, which was easily correctible, but we did have to tell them again.

Upon getting into our room, I was soooooo happy. The room was gorgeous, there was plenty of room for my husband, daughter and me. We immediately created a play area for our daughter with all her toys and then hopped into our swim suits. We dashed over to the pool and it was crowded but perfect. The Lazy River was more glorious than I could have asked for, the water slides were really fun, there was a baby beach with real sand and sand toys that my daughter had so much fun at and the weather (albeit, not RLP's responsibility) was perfect. This truly was an amazing vacation.

We went back to our room and took a nap. Then walked around the property. In the Internet Cafe, we ordered a pizza and our daughter found the two iPads and watched her favorite shows. Around dinner time, we drove around and found tons of little places to eat and shop. That night, our bed was just so cozy and the black out drapes were a nice touch.

The next morning we went back to the Splashtopia, and found it even more crowded and people were saving chairs, which was annoying even though there are signs saying not to save seats (not RLP's fault) but we found a chair, hung out in the baby beach until it was time to go home.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!

Room Tip: I didn't go for the "upgraded" room and we were happy. We had a view of the golf cour...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PamelaOfTheSailors
Burbank, California

Stayed the weekend of September 22, 2012

Extremely unsatisfied with cleaness, poor and un-helpful staff. I stayed in the executive suite with smelly and dirty furniture. Patton furniture along with pool area furniture was very dirty. Not what you expect from a resort. Some of the staff was very nice and some rude and incompetent.

Hint Rancho Las Palmas Resort, If you are going to overcharge your guests then supplement it with great service.

Room Tip: I would never recommend this place.
4 Thank Ed A
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Traveling with 2 adults and a toddler is not always easy and as our plans en route from San Diego to Big Bear changed, we were not sure what we would do, but we found an excellent deal for this resort online! We stayed two nights in a basic king room with a golf course view. There is an extra daily fee for Splashtopia, parking, and something else, which we expected.

The room was quite spacious, with a nice bed, large tv, lots of space for clothes. There was a small couch, table and desk chair. The bathroom was a good size with a separate vanity for women to get ready; this was very handy. The mango lotion from the spa was lovely too! We were on the first floor with a patio overlooking the golf course. It was early September, so there were not many players in the middle of the day, while we sat during our son's naps. Also, when we first entered the room, there was a strange smell and I still can't describe it. I almost think that it was meant to smell floral, but it made me gag, so housekeeping was nice enough to send some sort of air purifier. We left it on while we went to dinner and it was much better that evening.

We ultimately decided on this hotel versus the Marriott because of the water slides and lazy river. There are two water slides and a nice splash pad for toddlers surrounded by a lazy river. Off to the side of the river is a zero depth entry play area with a sandy beach. Just a few steps away is the large, main pool too. We really enjoyed Splashtopia and my 15 month really became a water baby! The one down side to the whole stay was (and we didn't know this prior) that they had just started their "winter" hours, which meant Splashtopia didn't open until 11am and closed at 5pm. This was really unfortunate, especially for families whose children are up very early and that only gave us just over an hour to enjoy the splash pad and lazy river before we had to give our son lunch and then his nap, which then left us only an hour in the afternoon to enjoy it again. On Friday it opened at 10am, which helped, we just pushed nap time back as much as we could. The main pool is open something like 8am-8pm, so we hung out there until the rest opened.

Included with our room was a $50/day breakfast credit at Bluember. It wasn't too hard to spend that either! The French Toast was delicious, but I would skip the eggs Benedict. We did not eat dinner or lunch at the resort. We did the micro brew happy hour one of the evenings. The bartender was great and recommended a nice local place to eat. Everyone was really nice and friendly, but I do have to point out that one of the lifeguards, who was out all three days, spoke a little loosely around the young children- foul language and a random conversation about politics with another life guard.

We sat under some of the 'conversation' areas near the bar in the early evening, otherwise, it was too hot to be outside for too long. Rancho las Palmas really has several restaurants and shops, so there was no need to drive all the way into Palm Springs. The resort is very sophisticated but caters to families at the same time. It was a nice blend. You feel like you are at a top resort (which you are), but can relax with your children.

I am so glad that we were able to stay here. It was my first time in SoCal and I hope to return again soon. I probably won't even look at another resort, this one has everything we need! I don't know what it is like to stay over the weekend or during a very busy period, but I am sure it would be just as nice as our visit.

1 Thank kasens
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!