“Quiet weekday visit”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Our school district has a two week break at the end of October when no one else is out of school in Southern California so my kids and I we went with another family to Rancho Las Palmas to enjoy the warmth of the desert and the water park. Overall, this is a great place to bring the kids but it's more enjoyable during the week when practically no one's there! Downside to that is shorter pool/water park hours, fewer staff, less service available. We didn't eat at the hotel that much - typical overpriced, not so great food. There's a shopping area across the street from the resort that has a lot of restaurants and we stopped at some grocery stores to pick up snacks and drinks. Only off putting experience was the sprinkler system - it starts going off at 5am and seems to go off every hour and a half or two hours - we were soaked by surprise on numerous occasions just walking from our rooms to our cars. Perhaps the resort should consider a water-wise landscape plan rather than waste precious resources on trying to grow grass in the desert?!

Room Tip: I wouldn't spend more $$ for the rooms by the pool. Everything is close by and I imagine those...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 29, 2011

My 2nd time here and I really like the facility however, the service, especially food and beverage is pretty bad. Example: we were approached by the pool waitress around 11:30 for lunch and was told they only had a fast food menu by the pool and that we couldn't bring in outside food. We agreed and asked her to come back in a bit since it was still a little early. We didn't see her again until one and help hours later and she only came because I called room service from my cell phone. We were really hungry so I asked her how long it will take (ordered salad) and she said only 5 minutes since the food was already pre-packaged. I kid you not, she came back 30 minutes later (I looked at the time on my phone so I'm sure) I also ordered an ice tea. She brought me a prepackaged salad and a lemonade. I asked why the lemonade and she replied that there was no ice tea brewed. I asked if she could get me a diet coke instead. Simple request, right? Not at this hotel, it literally took her 15 minutes to come back with the drink. I had already finished the meal (whcich wasn't very good) when asked why so long she answered that there was no carbonation in the coke machine. When I turned down the drink she said she would take it off the check, really? How kind!

Anyway, you get the picture. This was the norm throughout my stay. From housekeeping leaving a note because we had a do not disturb sign on the door throughout the day, to us getting a crib with no blanket. The restaurant left me standing at a table waiting for a high chair for about 10 minutes with 4 different people asking me what I need but no one bringing it.

Because it's the most kid friendly pool in the valley I will keep coming back but they should really get it together to become the luxury hotel they claim to be.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Great golfing, Great pool, great water park, Super staff, Beautiful facilities, great service. A superb general manager in, April Shute

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SUPERMAN1948
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The property is beautiful, service is wonderful and the rooms are gorgeous. Splashtopia is perfect for families- the only negative thing I have to say is that the food is terrible, especially for the price. I, mean, seriously yuck. It's like they are preparing the food properly and then kill it with overseasoning and garnsihing.

It is a huge miss in an otherwise perfect place.

I'd stay again, but only with the kids and would plan to eat off property. Bldg 31 is supposed to be the most private and quiet. 23-26 are very quiet with quick access to splashtopia.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jengeddy
Reviewed October 16, 2011

First, I will say that the only reason I didn't give this resort a 5 star rating is because I would have liked more of an 'adult fun' pool. The adult pool was slightly yawn-inducing, and there was no swim up bar or lively music...more of a spa-like environment. This is nice, but a bit ho-hum.
If you are looking for a venue for girl's weekend get-away or bachelor-bachelorette parties, this wouldn't be the right choice of hotel- but since we were there to celebrate our anniversary, it was perfect for us.

The grounds at the hotel are immaculate, gorgeous and walking-friendly. The rooms have been upgraded nicely, and they all have a view of either the golf course, the pool, or ponds and water features.

The food at the restaurant is wonderful, and the service was wonderful as well. We were really hungry when we arrived and both had chips & guacamole on the brain. It wasn't offered on the menu, but they made fresh chips for us in the kitchen and whipped up some guacamole just for us. Now that's what I call service!!!
We had breakfast at the Starbucks cafe on property, which is like a Starbucks on steroids, since they also offer pizza's and ahi tuna salads along with some other interesting choices.

The are plenty of dining options at the shopping mall across the street called "The River". It is also great for strolling, sipping coffees, and of course shopping!

The lazy river pool is a family fun extravaganza. We don't have children, but still loved lounging on our inner tubes and floating around the huge water slides in the center.
I told my friends with kiddo's this is a MUST GO...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Although we did know about it before we booked we naively thought we would actually get something fot the daily charge of $25 (which is actually $28 after they add on 12.15%)
When we enquired what this covered we were told in a very condescending manner "Your daily newspaper ($1), tea?? & coffee in your room, free wi-fi, use of the phone if you have a prepaid card!!! & parking. Surely these things are all a basic part of any hotel room?? There was no refrigerator in the room but you could hire one for another $3 per day + tax. If you wanted room service this came at a supplement of 22% + $3 delivery. As we were on vacation for 2 weeks we checked several hotels & chose this one because it had an adults only tranquility pool. What we found was far from "Tranquil" There was constant renovation work going on right next to it all the time we were there. Whilst the rooms were nice they are not as luxurious as they try to make out. The only thing the hotel seem interested in was making money. Dennis & Sandra Gibson UK

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra G
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We went to this resort as part of a company retreat / off-site and had to say that our experience was incredible. As far as the quality of the rooms, pool, restaurant, there wasn't anything *special* about them - I think they are typical 3.5-4 star rated things. However, what was "5-star" about this place was the SERVICE. They are incredibly responsive and timely. For example, while the resort complex is too large to walk around, they provide special golf-cart shuttles to all of the various attractions...all day and all night long. This was great as I played golf at the club (they even kept my clubs overnight -- the next day, I found all of my irons had been cleaned!)

So if you want to "get away" by not having to go too far away from LA, head to this place where the service is great and you won't have to lift a finger!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!