“Great trip on Fathers Day weekend”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Just got back from a great weekend at the resort. We were kind of skeptical due to the latest reviews but we decided, "it's for the kids" and what a great decision it was. Check in started the trip with a great impression. Elizabeth moved our pool view room to the bldg we chose,(direct access to splashtopia,bldg 26), had a complimentary refer and crib sent to the room, explained everything and checked us in at 1pm..all in about 15 min. The room was spacious and clean and the ground floor patio was perfect for the kids to play on the grass. Maid service was nice and early,except they forgot bath towels, fixed in 10 min with a phone call.FOOD: Brunch at bluEmber was good and reasonably priced and both the kids ate free because they are under 5. Lunch at the pool was better than expected. The price for tropical drinks are outrageous (bring your own). The girls loved the hand scooped ice cream.Numerous restaurants across the street for dinner
try Acqua Pazza awesome! POOL: It's like a water park people, it's going to be busy, the water is going to be murky, and yes, you are going to get WET! There is a chemical called chlorine, it kills bacteria, it doesnt remove suntan lotion and oils from water. Ever been to the beach or Lake Havasu, it's actually 10 times dirtier with raw sewage,harmful levels of carbon monoxide and NO chlorine to kill anything....I got to splashtopia on fri,sat and sun when they opened at 9am and got 2 padded chairs with an umbrella each day. I put down my towels and some personal items and went back to get my family within the well posted (right where you get your towels) 20 min. time limit. No problems, my stuff was still there when I returned. I have been to numerous family resorts and pool chairs are always a problems, including Atlantis, and they have 10,000 chairs. Get there early and follow the rules! The kids loved the beach area and the lazy river, my 3 1/2 year old loved the water slide although after riding it 10 times, the staff changed and the new teenage employee said she is 2 in. too short and wouldnt allow her to ride it! I think the height limit should be lowered for the small slide to 36"! CONS: My only honest complaint has nothing to do with the resort at all, the small black birds are relentless and actually try to attack you! I got pecked in the head by one! BEWARE :)
Overall, we had a wonderful weekend,met some very nice families and will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: Bldg 26 and 16 direct access to splashtopia!
1  Thank 1badcarp
There are newer reviews for Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 22, 2011

We were in town for a golf tournament with a 9 yr. old who wanted to go Splashtopia everyday. Go early as the choice chairs are grabbed quickly. More importantly, the pool is cleanest early in the morning. We went at 9 AM and again at 5 PM and by the PM, the water was absolutely murky with things floating around. They should at least close the pool midday for a cleaning. I was frustrated that I couldn't go to the adults only pool that was, surprise, so much cleaner.
The rooms, on the other hand, are nice and roomy. Ours was on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the golf course. The ceiling fan really helped to cool the room and in the early morning, I opened the door which had a screen to let in fresh air. Very relaxing.
All in all, don't put this hotel in the same category as the Hotel Del Coronado ( a sister hotel) as it is not as luxurious. It is a decent family hotel that really should have a bigger pool or pools for kids if they are going to advertise it as such a place.

Reviewed June 19, 2011

2nd Trip in 2 years and after this last one, I won't go back.

Good:
Asked for early check in and got it.
Room was nice in Bldg 6 with a great mountain and golf course view.
Maid came early to clean room at 9am.
Poolside servers were very nice and attentive and checked on us frequently. "Nick" was very nice.
Dive in movie Saturday night was good for the small kids.
Bldg 9 opens to a golf course fairway and is good for little kids to run on in the later afternoon when no more golfers come buy and before dark.

Bad:
Bathroom door is not solid.
Pool Staff removed my towels and personal belongings because I left my chairs for apparently too long. They had a small sign posted, but did not enforce this policy until day three and they lost some of my personal items without apology.
I was charged $119 for a 45 minute phone call from my room to a Toll Free number. (they quickly removed the charge upon my complaint).
Pool and lazy river water is FILTHY. There are tones of people in the water so I am not sure how they can keep it clean but it's pretty gross.

I would've given it a 4.5 out of 5 stars if they didn't remove my towels and give my chairs to someone else then put my T-shirt in a plastic bag behind the towel counter.

The pool opened up at 8am. I got there early along with several other people. I got towels, and reserved 5 chairs and even put personal belongings on them. I went back to my room, had breakfast, got dressed and grabbed my kids to go to Splashtopia that opened at 9am. Apparently the fact that I wasn't in my chairs for one hour triggered the most ridiculous policy I have ever experienced and my chairs were given away and my personal belongings were tossed in a pile.

Based on the pool towel experience, I will NEVER again spend my money there. Consider it my own personal boycott.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but taking people's personal property and throwing it in a pile is not good customer service.

1  Thank kacnjmcsdad
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Kids loved the splashtopia, we loved the peaceful golfcourse Setting and the nice Hot weather...

Room was impeccable, resort really well maintained and Splashtopia is really good for Kids up to 10 Years, over that Age, it is to tame probabably - nothing adventurous about it.

The only really Importanz Thing to Know: just avoid Weekends (especially saturday afternoons), there was nö Deckchair Left and you Gould Hardly See any Water below the mass of Bodies. I strongly recommend to Limit the Number of concurrent guests in the Splashtopia - if we had ONLY Seen it that crowded, i would have just Hated the place. So do yourself a favour: go for a Long Weekend, but no Splashtopia on saturday afternoons :)

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Patrickaufreisen
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed at Rancho Las Palmas over Spring Break/Easter weekend 2011. We have a mixed review.
Pros: Very clean room - great housekeeping, dining at Blue Ember was DELICIOUS. The grounds are beautiful and well-kept.
Cons: Walls are thin ~ couldn't sleep because of family next door one night. Splashtopia was very crowded - could not get a chair and kids (and parents) were squirting water guns all over the place - including lazy river.
Would be great if not so crowded.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We just got back today from a mini-vacation at Rancho Las Palmas Resort, and I have only good things to say about it...well mostly good things. The staff were friendly and helpful. The surroundings pleasant and spacious. There is a feeling of being away from it all, although the resort is very close to restaurants, theaters, and stores. We were a family of 6 - two grandparents, our daughter and three grandsons 15 year old twins and one boy 10 years old. We all had fun in the pool and floating around in inner tubes on the 'lazy river'. Our rooms were large, clean and recently renovated. As mentioned above, there are ample eateries in the immediate area, The Cheesecake Factory, Mimi's, to name but two, so there is no need to pay through the nose to eat at the resort restaurants. Also, a Vons supermarket a few blocks away for other supplies. The only negative we found was a loud creaking noise in our room, which I think was due to a plastic crown molding around the ceiling reacting to temperature changes. It was irritating the first night, but by the second night, we seemed to tune it out. Oh, and if you don't mind being awakened at dawn by myriad tweeting and chirping birds, this is the place to be, although the hotel can't do much about that. All in all, a pleasant stay at a very family friendly resort.

2  Thank Airman153
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We were checking in with our children ages 23, 14, and 13. We were told reserving a regular room with a roll away bed for an additional $35 a night would accommodate all of us in one room. Upon arrival to the hotel Deb in registration said they didn't not have our request for a roll away bed; but, resolved that (so we thought). After leaving for some area activities we came back with the message light flashing and were told by Liz that there were not any roll away beds and they were sorry for our inconvenience. I asked who was suppose to sleep on the floor and what were they going to give me for my trouble. Blanca the manager gave no resolution to our problem and didn't seem to be concerned with our family member stuck without a bed or bedding. Overall the lack of compassion or motivation to keep us happy was underwhelming to say the least. After frustration and a trip to the lobby to speak with the manager it turns out our roll away was given to the incorrect room. Whew a relief right.
The room was full of bugs, spiders, and gave little of the modern conveniences like a microwave or small fridge. The pool and lazy river was so over crowded and full of people is was more like bumper cars and looking out for little ones pulled under by mass people, it was anything but relaxing. Overall we would choose to stay at another resort and didn't feel the value was worth the money we spent. The location to the River shops across the street was the one upstanding feature to the resort and honestly the only one I appreciated. Bottom line...save your cash and do your research

2  Thank bhgordon11
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!