“Awesome Pools+Super Weather=Great vacation!”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Got a great rate for a 5 night stay at Westin Mission Hills Villas in Rancho Mirage during April break.No big grand entrance to the Villas,like the Resort side (as my daughter described it "I expected lots of flowers and a gate,but there was just a wall with sand")..maybe her comments were due to the fact that we arrived during a huge sand storm,which I hear comes every few months in this area,but new to us in Connecticut!The check-in was very slow..the front desk personnel was borderline rude,and we waited about 45 minutes for our room to be ready.The room itself was smaller than we were used to in other villa type resorts such as Marriott Vacation Club properties,but we only paid $124 on Hotwire,so can we really complain??It was a one bedroom second floor unit,which we were told was "deluxe"..although I cant imagine any unit being smaller.The kitchenette had a two small burner stove and a tiny fridge,plus a dishwasher (also small)..but new granite counters and very clean,which we called ahead about due to allergies.The queen size bed was okay,not so heavenly.The pull out sofa is okay for children,but NOT for adults...could be the worst Ive seen.The bathroom was nice,and larger than the living room,but still only had one sink.There was a dark balcony overlooking the golf course.Only one window in the entire villa,which was in the front at the kitchen counter so everyone wallking by can see you preparing breakfast in your pjs..The grounds were beautiful..especially the breathtaking mountains which surround the resort.I enjoyed walking along the golf course paths in the gorgeous 75' temperature while getting to the pool.My kids absolutely loved the paradise pool near the villas!My husband and I even went on the water slide there with them many times.My son also loved the basketball hoops in the pool and the ping pong nearby.The resort provides nice citrus water at the pool area,which is a nice touch,and drink waitresses offer other food and beverages if you wish.We didnt eat at the resort once (expect for drinks at the pool),because Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs is just down the road and offered us better options.The trip was a long one for us,since there are no direct flights from Palm Springs International into the New York area,but we would definitely return there again due to the gorgeous weather and nice pool,and of course that great Hotwire rate!

4  Thank camefromfairfield

Reviewed April 22, 2007

I stayed at the villas with my wife and 2 year old for 9 nights in March 2007. The resort really suited our needs, in that it was big (1 mile long) with plenty of activities (2 playgorunds,putting green, tennis and 5 swimming pools). We stayed in a premium villa second floor, which was furnished and equiped to a very high standard(microwave, large oven, dish washer, washing machine, dryer, large fridge, BBQ, dvd player and tv in living room and bedroom).My only small gripe would be the sheets on the bed were not 100% combed cotton and that the maids did miss one entire day of villa cleaning that was paid for, but in general we found the staff to be pleasant and helpful.
We ate in the Lounge Bar area of the hotel on two ocassions and had rooms service a couple of times during our stay and found the food to be acceptable and not outstanding .
There is a WallMart just about 1 mile away from the hotel, but I would highly recommend a trip to 'Bristol Farms' supermarket (at edge of Rancho Mirage and Palm Desert) if you are going to do any form of self catering.
We found the rancho mirage / palm springs area suited our needs .On the cloudy days we could go to the Childrens Museum (Brilliant for Kids) or Shopping (Outlets in Cabazon 40 min drive or Paseo for High Street Shopping only 10 mins drive). The Pool and Playgrounds were reserved for the more sunny days / afternoons. I never got to play either of the two golf courses, but maybe next time. Hope this review helps. by theway when they say 4 pm check-in , they really do mean 4pm or after.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Escapology
Reviewed April 16, 2007

Westin seldom disappoints, and this resort was no different. We stayed here the first full week of Dec. 2006, and the place was almost empty...which was very nice. Weather was just warm enough to swim most of the day, so consider going at this time. Staff was excellent (especially those in Villas pool area) and grounds were beautiful, and very kid-friendly with two nice play areas at opposite ends of the resort.

Speaking of pools, you have several to choose from, and the main hotel and Villas pools have great waterslides. Also, if you like golf, the resort's course looks quite nice. We enjoyed walking the path from along the course each morning, and had fun feeding the ducks.

Try to stay in either a 2-BR or 1-BR unit with a full kitchen (king bed). We had a queen bed lock-off unit, which was nicely furnished, but a bit small when we added the crib (not just a pack-n-play, which was great!) that the Westin provided. Try to stay on the second floors and get a unit facing the golf course for best views of the mountains. Also, the restaurant near the Villas pool was outstanding. A final benefit of the Villas was free wireless.

There's much to do in and around Palm Springs, but be sure to check out the little mountain town of Idyllwild (nice drive up there).

• Stayed: December 2006
7  Thank Buglish
Reviewed April 14, 2007

My husband and two kids arrived around 3:00 at the villas. We unloaded the car and decided to make a second trip because we couldn't carry everything. We walked to the room which we realized was further than expected and on our walk back to our car decided to move it closer. We unloaded again and proceeded to get settled in our room and enjoy some friends we were meeting there. I didn't notice my bag was missing until a few hours later when i went to change my clothes. After a complete panic attack and retracing my steps I came to the conclusion my bag was stolen from our car in between the two unloading trips. I must have left the car unlocked(my foolish mistake) thinking I was returning fairly quickly. Regardless, I'm still in shock anyone would have the nerve to steal a piece of luggage in broad daylight at a nice resort. I reported everything to security and they could care less. It ruined my entire vacation-i had to go to a few local stores to buy some clothing just to have something clean to wear. My gut tells me it was the workers who stole it. I can't be sure but I would put money on it. I'm writing this to just warn everyone to be careful and never let your guard down. Always lock your doors, to your car AND your room. I was by the pool the next day and overheard someone saying their laptop was stolen from their room. It's a shame because the place is very relaxing and my kids loved the pool. I know this kind of thing can happen anywhere but the way the front desk people and security handled the situation was very poorly. I would not stay here again!

3  Thank loflo
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We recently returned from our stay at the Westin Villas for Spring Break with our three kids, ages 8, 6, and 2. We all had a really great time, and were pleased with the service and the room. We booked
this through Hotwire and we were a little concerned that we might not
receive good service or get a good room. However we were treated exactly as any other visitor; we received the building we requested and type of room (second level). The check in service was pleasant, and we received a crib within 1/2 an hour of checking in. The room was quite spacious with plenty of room for our family of five. All rooms have a nice patio, and the kids liked looking out at the golf course view. The kitchen was plenty big enough, and the washer/dryer in the room was a great bonus. My husband and I would have preferred a king size bed but we managed fine. This was not the most beautifully furnished place we have stayed, but for the price it definitely fit the bill.

The pool was fantastic. The kids loved playing on the rafts that are available for rent at the pool shop. This shop also stocks beach balls, sunscreen and swim diapers. The pool was huge, and had basketball, volleyball and a big water slide. There is also pool and ping pong. In addition there is a baby pool that is a lot of fun for the toddler set. We had so much fun here, and the smoothies are great
too! We thought the food and drink that you can order poolside were quite good and pretty reasonable.

We did run into the "chair saving" issue; you have to get to the pool
by 9:30 to lay out some towels or you will miss out on the prime spots. Definitely an annoying practice, but we managed okay. Parking
can be a bit of a hassle, but we usually found a spot near our building, with the exception of one evening. Any requests I had for service were answered promptly. I had no complaints with the service.
All in all, a great family vacation in a fun location for a reasonable price! Oh, we also discovered Paseo Drive in Palm Desert which was very nice and had a lot of good family restaurants, eg. Islands, CPK, etc.

2  Thank momofthreeMoraga
Reviewed April 6, 2007

We made the mistake of booking here instead of the hotel. Filthy room does not even come close to describing this place. The locks on the door were broken. The bed is rock hard and the only thing "heavenly" about was leaving.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wine2
Reviewed March 12, 2007

We traded our Cabo San Lucas studio through Interval International for a one bedroom unit at Westin Mission Hills Villas. We were very pleased with our unit. The staff was able to fill my request for a view, second story and away from the common areas. Housekeeping came in the middle of the week to replace the towels and toiletries. They provided us with start up kit for the kitchen which included laundry detergent as each unit has a washer and dryer. Only the two bedroom units were equiped with a barbecue, but there was a barbecue in the common area near our unit which we used once and enjoyed our steak outside on our private patio. We were only "bothered" with time shares sales pitches when we visited the consierge in person, who constantly wanted us to sign up for a hour and half presentation, which we did not. When I called them from my room, they were very helpful and provided me with good information regarding restaurants, attractions, etc. and did not say anything about the time share presentation. We spent most of our time around the "adult" pool; however, the hotel won't call it that; they just say it is their "quiet" pool. Never saw any children around as there is another pool for them which includes a water slide. We spent one afternoon at that pool and enjoyed the pool side service which is not available at the "quiet" pool. The pool and hot tubs were always working and very clean. Spent every morning walking around the property on the jogging path. Property is very clean and well maintained. Did not eat at any of the property restaurants, but each had patio dining. Parking was plentiful and free. They provide an internet kiosk (fee based) for those who don't bring their laptops. There is a DVD player in each unit and a movie rental kiosk in the lobby. These are very pricy, so I would suggest bringing your Blockbuster Video membership card if you plan to rent a bunch of movies for the evenings. I would return to Westin Mission Hills Villas.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!