“Not up to usual Westin standards”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 16, 2010

It took 45 minutes to check in and there was a line-up of three other couples behind me! The check-in guy kept getting distracted by other guests who didn't want to wait (!). By the time I got the key it had gotten dark and I couldn't see the room numbers - hmmm, no-one thought of that one!

The room was disappointing - not usual Westin standards. It was not a villa, it was a three roomed space joined on both sides by other rooms and it was two-storey. I was on the ground floor, and I could hear the couple upstairs. They were not being noisy, but I could hear them talking in bed and I could hear them walking around. It was difficult to find a parking space and the maid service was a little slow. Probably wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed May 15, 2010

This was our second year at the villas. Both trips have been amazing - excellent resort amenities, children LOVE the waterslides! With small children, ask to be away from the golf course as the mowers woke them every morning.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I got an awesome deal on priceline for mine and my boyfriend's anniversary. 156$ for 2 nights. Upon check-in the front desk lady asked if we had any preferences. I asked if there were any king beds available and she gave us a deluxe villa with the full kitchen and spa in the room. She informed us of the parking fee and gave us our parking permit. Location to the pool could not be beat. We were in the building right next to it. The grocery store was very close and we picked up groceries to store in the refridgerator. We did not have to leave the resort after that. A big plus is the pool is open til midnight. Me and my boyfriend went for a late night swim and were pleasantly suprised to find that we were the only ones there. Had a great time swimming beneath the stars. My only complaint is the bar service next to the pool could have been better during the day and the electrical outlets in our room were a little fussy. We kept having to reset the breakers. It was a great, relaxing, rejuvenating trip for a fraction of what I would expect to pay at a resort with a full apartment room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

We are Starwood Vacation Owners, which means we weren't charged for parking, but were subjected to an owners update (which we will skip in the future). The villas have been recently updated with new furniture. The place was SPOTLESS! Given that my husband and I don't travel with children we dont need daily maid service, so there are no issues there.
I love having a full kitchen - we usually pop over to the grocery store and get breakfast stuff and snacks. It saves about $50 of dining out for breakfast. Also, we pick up whatever booze we plan on bringing to the pool - that saves LOTS of money. The Villas we stayed in was facing the golf course in buildng 42 - it was lovely to sit out in the morning and listen to the birds while gazing at the San Jancinto mountains.
This place is VERY laid back - almost no nightlife at all, however we stopped over to visit the new Westin Vacation Ownership location a few miles and away and found out that after 5pm there was no where on site to get a drink or bite to each! Bummer!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2010

It's great that discounts are available through websites like PriceLine or Hotels.com, but when you arrive at this resort with one of those "deep discounted reservations" boy are you considered scum.

I was told by this older female desk clerk that my requests probably can't be honored due to their high occupancy, and this was BEFORE I actually said what my request was. I was reminded how they have owners (a time-share thing I guess) who take precedence and got a couple of other hints about how I'm part of the lower class.

Room was OK and the location in Rancho Mirage was pretty nice, but that's about all the good I can say about this place. Getting a drink or snack around the pool was virtually impossible (took about 45 minutes before I even saw a server, then after ordering a sandwich and a drink it took another 45 minutes to get there). When we returned to the room at 6pm, housekeeping hadn't been in there to clean. I called the front desk asking what was up with this and was told that there had been a "do not disturb" sign on my door (a blatant lie since there wasn't even a door hanger sign in my room to use). I felt I had to beg to get someone to my room and the clerk (who sounded like the unfriendly clerk who had originally checked me in) made it sound like she was doing me a big favor to get a maid to my room. The arrogance of this place!

The day I'm leaving there's a bill attached to my door. There's a parking charge. When I booked this room a few months ago there was no mention about pay parking, and someone I knew who had stayed there before told me there was no parking fees. I called the resort right after making the reservation to make sure there wasn't any hidden costs like a resort fee or something and was told it was just my room rate. The unfriendly lady clerk who checked me in didn't bother to tell me about it, just handed me a card I needed to put inside my car. When I complained at check-out, guess what? It was basically a case of me pounding sand. Sorry, that's our policy. When I complained about not being told earlier, not being told at check-in, sorry that's our policy.

I have NEVER - EVER been treated like this at a hotel or resort.

I will NEVER return, and trust me, I will tell every person I know to stay FAR AWAY from this place!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dave92123
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Other than a bearded ceiling fan; moldy water in three tried tea pots; and water all over the floor from a broken ice maker, our main complaints are relate to lack of response to a situation which drove us to distraction. We love kids as we have six grandkids, but we think parents should control them.
We are in a handicapped unit on the first floor. In timeshares there is little insulation between floors, so for courtesy, kids should not jump off furniture and run back and forth on the second floor. Our upstairs neighbors started yesterday at 6:00 a.m. moving iron patio furniture and allowing their unruly kids to pound back and forth on the floor. Today it was 5:30 a.m. same story. After four complaints and an offer for the mgr to sit here and listen, we have been ignored. If you want rest, peace and a true vacation, do not come here. Try one of the Marriotts as they seem to be concerned about the comfort of their guests.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CMarguerite
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We came down to see my son graduate from his Marine School and stayed here a week, renting a car and seeing the sights. Check-in was smooth but we showed up around Noon and waited about an hour for the room. They called us promptly when it was ready and although there "no upgrades" they made available a deluxe villa with the in-room spa. We had a full kitchen, W-D, private deck overlooking the garden with stream near the lunch grill that was only open from 11-4.
That place could have done better to stay open for a Happy Hour til 6 or 7 pm. We ate lunch there and it was fair to good, but like anything here, it was "resort expensive."
The Villa: Very nicely appointed. W/D and DW were a plus, bed was very comfortable. The walls were thin and we could also here private conversations, kids, partiers, etc. For the most part, villa was clean but...and I say this cause we're clean nuts and know it: Shower and spa get a superficial wipe down only. We found the jets didn't work after the tub was full. I lifted up the bench seat to check it out and found it was covered with mold/slime on the bottom. Left the seat cover up so the maid would see it the next morning but it was right there when we returned. Got into the shower and it wouldn't drain. I fixed them both myself, checking breaker box and turning switch, then plunging shower(YUK!) Loaded up the washer with clothes and couldn't get it to work, but I paid attention to the sign that says, "Don't slam the door." Before I could call for service, I ran into the maintenance guy who asked if everything was okay. He was great and told me to slam door and it will work fine. This seems like a little thing, but that guy was doing exactly what this place needs:making contact with guests and ensuring everything is up to their satisfaction. His little intervention allowed me to give this a very good rating despite the cleanliness issue, which happens everywhere really. Nice Work!
Grounds: Very well kept, Security was good and the walking paths great. I ran the walkway around the grounds, which is 1 mile, and you can mix it up running through the paths along the creeks and ponds. When we walked down to the main restaurant, they made a special anniversary dessert for us(Thanks Rhonda!). Yes, it was expensive but it IS a resort! Service was very good and that makes the difference with us.
TIMESHARE: Okay, we didn't do the presentation, but we did have an "interest." We went down and looked around the day we were checking out. You'd think we walked onto a used car lot! I like how they write a bunch of the same numbers down on a blank piece of paper: "80,000 points, 60,000 points. This is the best time to get into this! I just don't want you leave without finding out how great this deal is....BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!" Seriously...Do you think we're going to stay at a resort for a week, then just plop 10 or 20 thousand down without investigating? My favorite was, "It's like a timeshare, but different." If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...lighten up on the hardsell for Pete's sake!!
I don't want to end on a sour note. Concierge was great and since we had a car, she recommended a lot of restaurants/ things to see in the area. The Tram, Hiking trails over Palm Desert, Cliffhouse restaurant, canyon tour and The Living Desert were all things we did and recommend.
My recommendation would be to have assigned spaces for the villas, keep the lunch bar open later(if only just for drinks) and disinfect the in-room spas and showers on a more regular basis. Thanks for not charging for the business center!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
7 mi away
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!