“Very easy place to stay for families.”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a great time at the Westin Villas. The villas themselves were identical to every other Westin Villa resort I've been to, which is to say nice, not lavish, but comfortable and well considered. We suffered from having a very sandy experience, but being as we arrived in the middle of a huge sand storm, there wasn't much to be done about that. The staff was all very friendly and helpful, we didn't run into any bad eggs which was nice - easy for one bad experience to cloud your opinion about a place. The renovations, which were supposed to have been completed, weren't yet, but it didn't impact us. The pools were very nice, the "main" pool was very crowded, however the east pool was almost vacant and was actually a nicer place to be. Th two things I noted about the pools were that the water slide hours seemed to be short and inconsistent, and the umbrellas at the east pool were in pretty poor repair. Otherwise, all was great. I'm sure we'll return at some point - our 3 year old had a blast (thought watching the mowers on the golf course a highly entertaining experience) and our 3mo was a happy enough baby.

Room Tip: Building 43 was a pretty good place to stay - a little close to the road, but convenient to all othe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Abates25, thank you for sharing your experience about the Westin Villas. It is great to read that all our associates were helpful and very friendly; we live for comments like these!! We are nearly complete with our renewal project and expect to be completed with this in a couple weeks. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time despite the sand storm and renewal project. Thanks for your feedback and hope you have an opportunity to visit us again at the Westin.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Coming from wet Vancouver we were so happy for the warmth. Our villa was on the ground floor and very comfortable. The large comfortable bed was excellent for sharing with one of my kids and the pullout in the living room was used for the other.( It leaned a bit down hill, but she survived.) The kitchen was well stocked and we made some great food purchased from the grocery stores near by.
The grounds of this resort were immaculate and beautiful. There are multiple pools, but we mostly enjoyed the central one with the large water slide. The chaise lounges were in great shape, we had tons of towels, pool service was prompt, good and not ridiculously expensive.
We accessed the facilities at the main Hotel, a short walk away in the complex and were impressed. My son loved the games room. We tried to rent bikes, but unfortunately the rental period was very limited and we didn't accomplish that, however, walking throughout the complex, whether in the early morning, afternoon or evening was very lovely and felt very safe for kids.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Lisanne c, thank you for your great feedback about our resort. We love to read when families have an enjoyable stay with us and take advantage of everything the resort has to offer. The paradise pool is a great amenity and happy to know your children enjoyed it. Thank you for staying with us and hope you and your family can come enjoy another spring break at the Westin!!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for five nights in late March. Nice location and on first appearance this appeared to be well run and professional. Well, it was okay, but it does have a few problems. We had a one bedroom suite. It was clean and nothing special. Absolutely no view of anything ( mountains, golf course, etc,). We stayed at the Westin Desert Willow last year and had a great view for the same price. The maintenance staff are not very good. It can be confusing to find your building and none of the maintenance staff we met on our search were helpful at all. When asked where our building was located (while carrying our suitcases in 90 degree heat) we were greeted by indifferent shrugs. Staff were racing around on golf carts but NOT one stopped and offered to help us with luggage. Also there were a lot of really loud children. Maybe it was spring break but, it was loud! The last irritation was our phone bill. We have cell phones and never used the in room phone. I was surprised when we reviewed our bill and found significant charges! I immediately called the number with my cell phone and talked to the person who answered. I am pretty sure it was the family of the staff. The call had been made when we were away. Lastly, the management seriously has to get control of the maintenance guys racing (yes racing!) each other in golf carts in the parking lot. On several occasions I saw older couples very upset by this behavior when they were trying to back out of a parking space and were "cut off" by guys goofing off by driving carts at high speed. The Hotel Staff were very nice and did remove the phone charges. All in all, this place is okay but, as a regular visitor to this area I know there are better places to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms near the pool are very loud.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Myrline 1, Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. Please accept my sincere apology for the challenges you experienced during your stay with the maintenance staff. There is no excuse. I will share all your comments with our team so we can evolve and deliver the experience we aim to deliver on all aspects. At your convenience, I would enjoy the opportunity to connect with you and offer a more personal apology, and learn more about your experience. Once again, thanks for your feedback and I look forward to connecting.

Jonathan Karp – Director of Operations
760-770-8257
Jonathan.karp@westin.com

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We spent 4 nights in one of the Queen bed villas. I thought it was quite nice. Really really enjoyed having the kitchen facilities, the ability to use the communal BBQ's and having a patio to sit out on. I found the condo to be quite suitable for the two of us - I would guess it was one of the upgraded ones as there was granite countertop, nice bathroom fixtures etc. The bathroom is quite spacious as well. Nice to have a door between the bedroom and the living room area as my husband likes to relax in front of the TV and I prefer a good book. Really appreciated the washer/dryer facilities as well - we're both runners and it was great to be able to wash gear rather than just air dry and/or sink wash and get progressively more stinky!

I would suggest that having a car is highly desirable. There did not seem to be much within walking distance so to go out to eat or get groceries etc would seem to necessitate a vehicle.

Areas for improvement:

- the queen sized bed. Like, seriously? What "hotel" room for two offers only a queen sized bed? My husband is 6' 3" so a queen is not always very suitable for us. (We stayed here on a package deal that was only offered at the queen bed level so it wasn't a surprise but I must confess to hoping that the letter we received was maybe incorrect and there was actually a king bed in the room!) I did ask about a move to a room with a king but was politely denied due to high occupancy. The bedroom had plenty of room, don't really see why all of the rooms couldn't have a king sized bed.
- I'm a bit squeamish about bare feet in hotels so I always wear socks. I was a bit surprised at how dirty my socks were after the 4 days (and I had multiple pairs). The carpeting is dark and perhaps should be cleaned more thoroughly/more often?

Overall we really liked this stay. Based on previous reviews the bigger rooms sound even nicer but a perfectly pleasant stay may be had in the smaller rooms. We did not notice any noise from the adjoining room. I would absolutely stay here again (even with the Queen as we surprisingly slept very well!) and would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Purpleneon, thank you for your feedback about our resort. I am happy to read that you and your husband enjoyed your time with us here at the Westin. I am sorry we did not have an upgrade available to a king sized villa but it seems you fell into the comfortable grasp of our Heavenly bed. It’s nice to read you slept well. Also, please accept my apologies about the carpet. At your convenience, I would like to learn more about your villa location so we can address this opportunity. I have also share this with our team to help prevent future occurances. Again, many thanks for your comments and we look forward to your return to the resort.

Jonathan Karp – Director of Operations
Jonathan.karp@westin.com

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Card by phone in room states that local calls are free for the 1st 60 minutes and $0.10/min. thereafter. Don't assume area code 760 is "local"; don't assume calling within Rancho Mirage is "local" either. We were charged heavily (about $5/minute as I recall) regardless of Coachella Valley destination. When disputed, the charges were reversed. My phone message and written suggestion to the Villa Operations Manager that the card needs reprinting or definition of "local" have gone unresponded. We stay here often and really like the resort; we'll stay here again too. But it's clear that one needs to establish phone rates with the front desk before you even call across the street for pizza. If "local" means "room to room", then the card should say that, and it doesn't. I don't need a concierge to order my pizza either, but at least the call would be free...I think.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Globalwanderer2, thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for not having a clearly defined “local” range as well as for our team not following up with your suggestions. We truly value feedback and regret to read that we did not follow-through with you. We will review our phone cards in our room and make the appropriate notations to prevent future opportunities. I am glad to read that our team had adjusted off those local calls from your account. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Mission Hills Resort and Villas.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

As first time visitors last year, we were surprised by the lovely area, limited traffic and many golf and restaurant choices. It's easy to navigate and the villas are comfortable with the same heavenly bed etc as the Westin Hotels. If you're into gambling there are some nice casinos too.

Only drawback is that there are no direct flights to Palm Desert area. Either fly to San Diego or Vegas and drive or book a short flight from either airport which would take just as long.

Room Tip: Request the second story so you have no one overhead (however no elevators)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ricki21

Ricki D, it is great to read that you enjoyed your trip here to the desert in Southern California. We couldn’t agree more about the multitude of options one has to keep occupied here. Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin and taking advantage of our Heavenly Bed. Thanks for sharing your feedback and we look forward to your next visit to the desert!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed there last summer with 3 other families. The kids had a great time playing in the pool, going on the waterslide, and riding their scooters. The great kitchens and outdoor grills made it convenient to make our dinners. Costco is very close by.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Mariakaz, thanks for writing and I am so happy to read you had a great time with your family here. We agree and feel our resort is truly ideal for families with all the amenities available for all our homeowners and guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you and your family have the opportunity to return. Cheers!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
7 mi away
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!