“Nice enough, but not your typical Westin vacation....”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice enough, but not your typical Westin vacation....”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The villa was like a timeshare-which by the way the pressure was on to meet for a "free gift". The room was an average well stocked timeshare apt with above average bedding. The amenities (pool bar & restaurant ) were nice and convenient, as they provided golf carts on a pathway to p/u and drop off. There was, however a huge difference in feel between the check-in at the Westin Hotel and the check-in at the villas. We went to the hotel lobby only to be re-directed to the villas lobby a bit further down the road. We originally booked this vacation because we enjoy the Westin hotels, it took a good day of adjusting our thoughts after realizing this would be much different than anticipated.

Room Tip: Decide if you can handle stairs, and whether you would like to be near a kids pool or adults only po...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandras123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Since this was our first time to Palm Springs (and it was 110+ every day), we used the pool in the morning and went exploring in the afternoons. Mission Hills is in a great spot as a home base to explore the valley.

Based on the TripAdvisor reviews, we contacted Dave Williams prior to arrival to answer a few questions and request a villa near the adult pool. We checked in late Saturday night and were assigned a room in building 37 (not close to either pool - but we didn't realize until the sun was up the next day). A quick call to Dave and he facilitated an immediate room change to building 47 and a generous resort credit.

The rooms are spacious and clean (even the "small" villa side is large here). Beds are comfortable (heavenly) and the showers are great.

We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Contact Dave Williams (General Manager) prior to arrival and tell him what you're looking for.
2 Thank gt8059a
new york
Reviewed September 2, 2011

If you don't love being around children, ask for a villa near the east pool. Also, stock up on food from the nearby Walmart, it's 5 minutes away and with reasonable prices. The Seasons restaurant has a daily happy hour with good prices, it's not well advertised.

Room Tip: The premium rooms are a really nice upgrade!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Magalia, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We just finished a 3 week stay at the Westin Mission Hills Villas. We love it there. We hope to add on an extra week next summer. It's exclusive, quiet in the summer, and very well kept up. While I only use the business center, fitness center, and our balcony, there are lots of other things to do: swimming, golf, tennis, basketball, pool, ping pong, a game room, a Friday night movie, eating at the restraurant, etc. We've owned there for 6 years, and every summer we go there, (even though we could go somewhere else) specificially to enjoy the mountain/golf course view - in fact that's why we bought there. Personally what I think really makes the stay enjoyable is the management and staff. In past years if I noticed something that could be improved upon, I mentioned it to the Operations Director, and always noticed that my suggestions had been implemented the following year. Really. And every time I expressed dissatisfaction with something during my stay, for example, trees growing so high or densely infront of my villa that the view of the mountains/golf course was blocked, my request to have them trimmed was fulfilled - in fact they suggested it.
I'm a people-person, so when I travel I really evaluate the contact I have with the staff. I don't know where to begin. While the fellows at the guard gate seem a bit aloof, everyone else seems friendly, professional and accommodating. And I mean everyone. The front desk staff greeted us and asked if we were going to be using the business center and fitness center, like we do every year. That someone at the front desk would remember our preferences with all of the guests they've had just shocked us. Maria checked us in and it was wonderful to see her familiar face. Maria also checked in a friend of ours during our stay, and had it all planned out, and offered to contact us as soon as the villa in which my friend was staying was vacant and clean, even though it was before the official check-in time. Besides Maria, everyone else (Bayron, Tiffany, Ester, the others as well, but I don't know them all) at the front desk are always nice, polite, and helpful. Then there is the rest of the wonderful staff: Marc at the Concierge desk, the engineering team, the shuttle drivers, security guards, housekeeping staff, even the gardeners, - everyone makes eye contact as they walk or drive by and makes an effort to greet you - when they could so easily look away to avoid a question or avoid engaging with you. We even saw one employee going around the property taking photos of the way water from the sprinklers was hitting the sidewalk instead of the grass. The attention to detail was amazing.
These things work because of training, follow through and high expectations. Dave Williams (the Operations Director) is new this year, but everything seems to work as well as it did when Warren Jerome was there. We certainly missed the staff members that have moved over to the new property (Desert Willows), but the ones that were left behind are great. We also missed Chris F. who used to be at the guard gate, and now is at the hotel. What a wonderful team. Seeing the same people over and over every year is comforting - it just feels right, we feel special and we had a GREAT time.
Just so there's no question: I am actually a complainer by nature, not just to complain, but to look for solutions; and I used to work in a hotel. I think things should be smooth and enjoyable, and when they are not, I notice it, and I point it out. As an owner there, I want to know that my association fees are used properly, and believe me, they seemed well used. Maybe the only suggestion I have for now is that the fitness center be attended to more frequently - at different points during our stay for a few days here and there the door lock was sticking, the hand-wipes were out, the tissue box was empty, there were no ear-phones, one of the tv-monitors on one of the treadmills didn't work, the water bottle was empty. But of course, as soon as I reported those things, they were addressed. By the way, the mattress was starting to have that sinking feeling, and one more thing: I think that the computers which run slowly probably have to be cleaned/defraged every night and I'd love to see pens and paper in the business center, maybe a stapler, and paperclips. (I hate to bug front desk staff just to ask for a pen when I forget mine). THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT READ THIS AT MISSION HILLS VILLAS - IT WAS REALLY GREAT. SEE YOU NEXT SUMMER.

3 Thank Judith H
Lodi, California
Reviewed August 27, 2011

In our recent stay at the Mission Hills Premium Villas we experienced something I thought was long past, old fashion American hospitality! What a refreshing and encouraging encounter!

Upon our arrival the front desk personnel were extremely cordial and attentive. I made a couple request for the geographic location of our room; quiet and a pleasant view. We were rewarded with both, a second floor room (quiet) and a spectacular view of the #1 fairway and green of the accompanying Pete Dye Resort Golf Course. The Concierges were patient and explicit with their responses to our questions, thank you.

While transferring our luggage to our room, one of the porters accidentally fell while transporting my golf clubs. The fall put two dents in the front fender of our car. We were upset at this event and filed a report with the the Concierge. Within 15 minutes of filing the claim we had two security officers at our door. Russell was sincere and interested in the events. He asked that I accompany them to the car and recur the events and take photos of the damages. While at the car Russell expressed his concern with the events and said he would be forwarding the details to management and to expect a call from Dave Williams, Director of Villa Operations. Russell asked if we liked wine and if we preferred red or white. I responded with yes and red. I thanked him for his authentic concern of the situation and told him the porter had simply made a mistake and that he continued to be cordial and helpful after the event. I even tried to give the porter a gratuity, he refused. The porter expressed positive character through the unfortunate events.
We went to dinner and upon our return to the room we had a knock at the door. A resort porter had a bottle of red wine and two glasses. Shortly after receiving the wine we did receive a call from Dave Williams. He apologized for the damages and asked if we could meet to discuss compensation for the damages. We did meet the following day and he asked that I get estimated to repair the damages. I provided the estimated and Dave secured compensation immediately. I found the remedy to this unfortunate matter handled with the highest professionalism and class, thank you Dave.

My wife lost her prescription eye glasses on our way to dinner one night via a shuttle. She was frantic of their recovery. We let the hotel staff know of the loss and were impressed by the concern and the speed at which security and services were notified. The glasses were found and returned to us the next morning! Even the next day we were asked by those involved, had we found the glasses, incredible. Thanks to all involved!

As to our stay with the resort, the food at Bella Vista, Seasons Grill, and The Den was fantastic, well balanced and nice presentations. My two rounds of golf at The Pete Dye Resort Golf Course was very pleasant. My wife had a wonderful experience at the Spa.

I will finish by saying thanks to the Concierges, the Bella Vista staff, the Pete Dye Golf Shop staff, the Health Club and Spa staff, the Caliente Bar staff, the Seasons Grill staff, the Den staff, the Lobby Lounge staff and especially Dave Williams. You have acquired future "family" to your Westin Mission Hills Villas Resort & Spa!

Room Tip: Quite = upstairs, Premium Villas = outdoor range, inside whirlpool tub and full kitchen.
Whittier, California
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We went on a long weekend trip with another couple to Rancho Mirage, My husband and I suggested the Westin because we have never been dissapointed there before. Each couple got their own Villa. Our friends villas was ready when we arrived at 11:30am, ours was not ready and did not become available until after 3pm. The Westin Villas are extreamly nice and comfortable. We were very impressed with the layout. But the noise from the other villas was a bit to much. Our friends had a family with several kids above them. The kids were running around and making alot of noise. So much that our friends had a horrible first night, and were awakened at 6:30 in the morning with the loud banging of the kids upstairs running around. The front desk was called several time, but to no avail. The kids were still very loud. A Manager finally contacted the couple and said there were no more room available to move them. He did comp them for the one night, but they had to indure another night of loud noise and running around from upstairs. I understand kids will be kids, but the parents and the hotel should have done more to keep the kids a bit more quiet. I would return, but would ask for a upstairs room if I want a good nights sleep !!!!

Room Tip: If you want pease and quiet, ask for a upstairs room
Salt Lake City
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The Villas are clean, updated and comfortable. The queen bed was very comfortable in the deluxe unit. The property had three swiming pools for the guests of the villas put two additional hotel pools.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!