“A wonderful place for families”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Anaheim, California
“A wonderful place for families”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My Family and I stayed in a Villa for 4 nights. It was a great place to relax with kids. Mine are 7 and 9 and loved the waterslide. Every night between 7 30 and 8 PM we went for a walk along the golf course and the sprinklers were on. My kids ran through them and looked forward to this free and fun activity every night. Kids played out on the green belts with their scooters, and had water balloon fights and watched and fed the ducks. Addionally, taking golf carts around the resort to the main hotel lobby restaurant was also a treat. Overall we had a relaxing, fun time at the Westin!

1 Thank Desertgirl99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Upland, Ca
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We are new Starwood Vacation owners, so this was our first visit to these villas. We checked on Friday June 17th and stayed 2 nights. Our family included my parents, myself, and 4 children. Previously we had stayed in the regular Westin Hotel next door and it was average. With one exception we were thrilled from the moment we checked in! Even though check-in in time is officially 4pm we were able to be assigned one of our 2 rooms when we arrived at 1230PM. We were assigned to room 3914. It was just one building away from the pool area and had a wonderful view off the balconey of the ponds. The room was exceptionally clean! It definetely was the cleanest villa/hotel room I have ever stayed in. The Heavenly beds and shower heads were wonderful! The only issue with the room was that the freezer ice maker was not functioning. I called the front desk and within 10 minutes they had an employee named German come to check it. He was unable to fix the ice maker but within 10 minutes had another employee deliver us a large bag of ice to use during our stay. While all of the employees we ecountered where nice, German and his cheerful smile was way above and beyond everyone else! He is an asset to Westin!
The only down part to our vacation were the pool issues. When we arrived on Friday the main pool was shut down until 7AM on Saturday. We were told that a child had gotten sick in the pool and they had to shut it down. That left just the little 1 foot deep kiddie pool and the slide area for all the guests. When I inquired about using the pool at the next door Westin property i was told no because it was only for "hotel side guests".
On Saturday the pool was shut down again TWICE because of a child having an "accident" in the main pool. While I no Westin has no control over child "accidents" in the pool, i really wish more effort had been made to clean and reopen the main pool on Friday. I did appreciate that staff made an announcement to remind that they provide free swim diapers for babies!
We were also pleased with the room service that we ordered on Saturday morning. The food arrived promptly and was very good. The food we ordered pool side was also very good!
Over all we really enjoyed our visit to the Villas! We had previously stayed in the Maui Kaanapali villas and have always received excellent treatment by the staff. We have a great time in the pool (when its open!) and the kids love the waterslide. The property is absolutely beautiful and there is ample parking. We cant wait to come back again soon for another visit!

Skillman, New Jersey
Reviewed June 13, 2011

There's probably a whole host of luxury hotels in and around Palm Springs/Palm Desert - this one just happens to be one of them. I'm a Starwood member and used my points to book one night here and regretted not booking more. After our stint in and around San Diego and LA, this was a welcome place to stay at and actually have a "vacation". Not just me - the kids felt that way too.
We stayed in the Villas since the hotel section (adjacent) was completely booked by a Jewish religious convention. We weren't even allowed there except for the spa and golf - no use of pools or any other amenities like game room, etc. So that was a bit disappointing but we made the best of it at the Villas.
We had two rooms booked originally for our two families but they offered us a 2-bedroom full unit (instead of 1-bdrm smaller units) and we jumped at it. Had a great view of the golf course (I think most of them do) with a practice putting green right in front. Parking was a bit of a challenge but the location of the room and the hotel in general is not bad. You need a car to go everywhere since these resorts are built exclusively intentionally. Even though we had a full kitchen, we had breakfast at the pool; but for families who stay longer and timeshares who stay a week can take advantage of the kitchen. Rooms were very spacious including the living room(s). Bathrooms were fantastic and well-equipped with plush amenities. Beds were good enough to take home! Pool area was very nice in the Villas section - large pool with a separate decent sized, but one, water slide. Pool basketball, volleyball and pool-side billiards and ping-pong were all complimentary first-come first-use, but in general available. It got hot and sunny (always) in the afternoon, so definitely need sunBlock lotion.
Lots of restaurants to try out in town, so we didn't bother with the hotel at all for our short stay there.
Would definitely recommended the Westin Villas at Rancho Mirage - just stay for at least 3 nights. And visit the gondola ride in Palm Springs at San Jacinto state park (take a light jacket).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Villas_Dave, Director of Operations at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Hello Happy King --
Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor, what a great way to share your experience here in the desert at our location. I agree that this property is a nice get-a-way from the rest of life and I am glad that our services met your expectations, especially as one of our Starwood Preferred guest members. I do apologize for the impact of the group being next door and limiting access to a number of facilities. We have reviewed that piece of business and cancelled the remaining years on the contract so that we don’t have the impact again.
Thank you for detailing the nice layout of our villas with the space and kitchen set up. You can take the beds home…..well not from us but by visiting our Westin.com website and they have the Heavenly Bed available along with the Heavenly Shower & Rollaways.
Looking forward to your return.
Safe travels & I can be reached at dave.williams01@westin.com or via phone 760-770-8257. Regards, Dave Williams – Dir of Operations.
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stay at the Westin Mission Hills villas every year in May, perfect weather, great time for the whole family. The kids love the water slides and the craft tables that are set up on the weekends. There is plenty of outdoor space for them to run around in the evening while we barbeque. The staff is wonderful, the Villas have everything you may need, love the heavenly bed!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Annsean –
Welcome back! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences. While we can’t take credit for the “perfect weather” we appreciate the comments you provided regarding our facilities, activities and the wonderful staff. It lets us know that year over year we are improving and continue to drive loyalty.
Thanks again annsean, we look forward to your return. If I can be of assistance please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Most resorts have not only excellent accommodations, but also excellent service. However, with the exception of two staff members and the villa itself, the Westin did not meet either expectation. At check in we were told to talk to the concierge to receive our welcome package. However, when we visited the concierge desk, we were told they did not have access to our package and to come back later. When we finally did receive it, it was coupons but the person who gives the sales pitch for the Villas was not available when we checked in.
The disorganization did not end there. Our first night we tried to make reservations at Bella and after waiting on the concierge desk we were first told Bella was not open. However, after we made reservations elsewhere, we received a call that there was a miscommunication and the restaurant was serving food elsewhere but the concierge had not been informed. The next day I tried to book a spa appointment for an online special only to be rudely told that the spa website was incorrect and their menu had changed. Needless to say, we were quite perturbed at this point and complained. Later that evening we received a note and a comp bottle of wine to apologize which was nice. The following day I asked the concierge to book a spa appointment for me since I could not get through. He was then told the spa was unexpectedly closed that day and no one had informed the concierge desk. There seemed to be miscommunication at best and poor management at worst.
Other issues: there are no restaurants or activities within walking distance of the hotel. Overall, the grounds were dated, the one gym was closed and the other was quite small. We only visited one pool since the others were very loud.
On a positive note, the villa was gorgeous and extremely clean/comfortable. The heavenly shower and bed were extremely lovely. While the spa was extremely small, the two technicians for my treatments were excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AK_foodie2010
AK_foodie2010 –
After having a chance to read your review I would like to begin with an apology. I am sorry that our services did not live up to Westin standards & expectations. There is some great detail in your review which allows us to better improve our processes (access to gift bags 24/7 or “We will send it to your villa for you” would be nice). One focus we do have as a leadership team is consistency in delivery of services. Your notes about Bella Vista and the Spa help us focus on this so that our decisions and processes are based on guest experience and not “hotel centric”. Sorry the pool was so crowded; we should have offered the option of visiting our East Pool. Not designated as adults only, but since it doesn’t have the slide, volleyball net and activities it tends to be a bit quieter.
I also want to thank you for recognizing the efforts of our housekeeping and maintenance teams who work hard to maintain the conditions of the Villas. A big focus of ours is not to let age of our product override the fact that everything should be clean and in working order.
Thank you again for your review, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly for your next visit to the desert. I can be reached at dave.williams01@westin.com or via phone 760-770-8257. Regards, Dave Williams – Dir of Operations.
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We have owned an Ocean front 1-bedroom time share in Maui for the last 10 years, and I love it. Due to the price of airfare and to try and save money we traded this year and wanted to go somewhere that we could drive. I was hoping for the beach but the only thing that came up was Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage...in the summe! My husband loves the desert, but I can't imagine a vacation without an ocean. We booked the week of Memorial Day (5/28-6/4) - (praying the weather wouldn't be too hot). After reading all of the reviews I was very concerned that I would be upset with our room and it's view....so I emailed the manager Dave with my requests...near a pool/golf course view and to my surprise he not only answered immediately but asked which pools kids = slides / adult = quiet. We have a 10 year old...slides it was. I am a control freak and don't like surprises so I proceeded to email the hotel which is when I met Michelle "Fun Manager" at the Westin Mission Hills Hotel. This resort has two properties the hotel and the villas....separate pools/gyms/managers, yet you can use both. Michelle (one of the most pleasant people I've ever dealt with) helped me book cabanas at both pools due to the fact that it was Memorial Day Weekend...I also booked massages/facials.

So we were set, and then I waited.....and stressed about a room I hadn't even seen yet. On Saturday we drove (2 hours door to door!) and checked in at 1:00 our room wasn't available but they'd call us. We went to the restaurant Season's Grill (which is at the Villas Pool) just lunch and cocktails....my phone rang by 3:00 and we were checked in. As promised, I had a golf view near the pool. The villas are two story units (even room #'s on top) with one bedroom "premium rooms" and one bedroom regular rooms (the two bedroom unit is a combination of the two rooms with a "lock off"). The one thing I will say is there are no elevators and you have to schlep your bags from the car but we managed and settled into our "Premium" room. Full kitchen, a BBQ on our balcony (Which was amazing...used it 5 of 7 nights and for lunch) and two fire places....with a laundry unit in the room. If you would have ever told me I would cook and do laundry on vacation I wouldn't believe you...but I did, gladly. Every night the wind would blow, we'd have the fire places on....doors open, AMAZING. However, we quickly discovered the room below us was a party who had atleast 4 rooms and had moved all of their tables together to have a group meal (all 3 each day) with about 20 people. You couldn't relax outside or leave the doors open without hearing the kids/adults. When I found out they would be staying the entire week we were there I knew it would ruin my vacation....so on day three (Memorial Day) I emailed Dave and told him my dilema....as much as I hated to deal with it (and my husband would kill me) I wanted to move rooms....could he find a comparable room/golf course view, this time in building 30 (which is the closest to the hotel -where the golf club/restaurant/spa are located). Within a half an hour Dave emailed that they found a room and that the acting manager would email/call when it was ready (so sorry I don't remember his name). Next thing I know I get an email that the keys will be brought to me along with someone who can help us on a golfcart to the new room....after some stressful packing of the fridge/clothes....we were happily settled into our new QUIET villa....couldn't have been happier.

Things of note: The Villas Pool is very fun, the cabanas are a row of permanent structures with tv's and a small fridge. The slide at this pool has a cork screw and is really great. The pool also has a basketball hoop/volleyball and there is music. The "fun crew" (led by Christopher!) has daily acitivities (tye died t-shirts/pottery/bingo) and Friday Night was movie night. There is also a "Farmers Market" twice a week...which was cute, veggies/jewelery...etc.
The hotel pool is also very nice. Not as kid orientated. The cabanas are just pop up structures....and some of them only have 4 lounge chairs...a couple have a lounge and tables). My husband and I liked this pool because there were cushions on the chairs/ there is a really nice bar and it is on golf course...you can also watch the amazing sunsets. This pool also has a slide (much faster) and volleyball net. On the weekends they have a 'kids fun cabana" think tattoos/pottery.
The spa was nice, good therapists/steam room.
We had dinner at Las Brisas the restaurant in the hotel one night. It was very good (however I thought the menu was slightly limited....i'm a picky eater so more selection would be good) but there was a mexican buffet the night we were there....and the greatest thing EVER...a kids buffett! It was even on smaller tables.
We met for drinks one night at "The Den" which has an outdoor firepit (it's basically the 19th hole) and watched game #2 of the NBA finals. Between leaving there and the golf cart I lost my kindle. The entire resort was looking for it on their radios.....and Martin our driver found it and delivered it to the room.

My husband golfed at both courses (shout out to Paul at Pete Dye) and enjoyed them a lot.

My only con- and these are just upgrades I think would enhance the amazing experience...upgrade the electronics (ie: tv/dvds) but also, part of the fun of traveling is getting in room "Still In Theaters" movies. They cost and arm and a leg, but so fun and they didn't have that.

In all of my years of travelling personal and business...I have NEVER gone to a resort where the staff knew our names (I don't think anyone knows who we are after 10 years of owning in Maui). This resort has something special...and that's the people. I hope you enjoy at much as we did.

Dave-I know you are reading this (LOL-because you care sooooo much)....we are already planning our trip back! Thanks so much to you and your staff (and Michelle) for one of the best family trips we've ever had! I'm converted see you in the desert!

1 Thank Randio67
Randio67 –
I am very happy that we had a chance to connect both prior to and during your stay, great way to begin & end my day chatting it up with you and your family. Your review is no doubt awesome and I really appreciate the detail you provided as it helps our guests have a better understanding of what a personal, instinctive renewal is all about at the Westin Mission Hills Villas. I know what Maui has to offer and while we don’t have the beautiful Pacific Ocean at our front door we have a lot to offer in exchange. Your review covers all our great facilities, amenities, services and activities to enjoy.
What I enjoy most about your review is the personal connections that you and the family made with our team members. We may not have the newest products, design in the Valley but our goal is to deliver service that goes above and helps build relationships. We look forward to keeping connected with you for years to come!

Looking forward to your return this summer, we will see you around the pool or barbequing on your deck. All the best.
Safe travels Randio67 & I can be reached at dave.williams01@westin.com or via phone 760-770-8257. Regards, Dave Williams – Dir of Operations.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 6, 2011

A huge property, we came on a weekend when some group had booked out the adjoining resort and so most of the facilities were not available to us (usually the pools, etc. are shared between hotel and villas). We were not informed of this before we arrived. The pools at the villa were so crowded we could not swim. We could not find parking near our building, so parked quite far away and lugged our suitcases across the property.

The suites have kitchens and are fairly spacious, but are tired-looking. I would not recommend this place for a relaxing getaway, especially not on busy weekends.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaneL75
Hi JaneL75 –
Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor regarding your April stay. As an organization and partner with the Westin Mission Hills Resort we learned a lot from that week about how to better book and plan for our groups. Based on feedback like yours we did cancel the remaining years on the contract for that group so that we avoid this situation from happening again.
I am sorry that we did not give you the renewing experience you were looking for and I would like to find a way for you to experience a true visit here. Please let me know when you are planning a return trip to the Coachella Valley so that we can make up for our short comings.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!