“Best in Coachella Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shame on the Moon

Shame on the Moon
Ranked #7 of 103 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ohio
“Best in Coachella Valley”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

First, I have no clue why anyone would rate Roy's or the chain Cheesecake Factory (a haven for obese overeaters) above this gem. I've never had anything but excellent food here, and the wine list is well-chosen and very reasonably priced. It's still a hard place to get into, as it's not a large restaurant but word of mouth directs both residents and visitors here in droves. We come to the desert every year, and we always look forward to our meal at Shame on the Moon.

• Visited April 2012

Evanston, Illinois
“Shame on you if you miss this place”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The liver and onions house specialty was tasty and the duck was terrific. Fine dining in a classy old restaurant with great service and food.

Visited February 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Place for Dinner”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Be sure to make reservations and be prepared for a busy crowded restaurant. The food was very good. There was plenty of parking. We arrived early and were quickly seated. Drink orders were a bit slow but the courses were spaced nicely. The servers need to share the prices of the specials as several people asked what the cost was. I think all the wait staff including the servers would benefit from some fine dining serving training. The place could do with some updating as it is looking a little old fashioned in places. The two washrooms were spacious and have been updated. There were many local regulars dining here the night we visited.

Palm Springs, California
“Old fashioned”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My meal was very average. Fish cooked with lots of butter. Restaurant has an old fashioned atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013
“Not the best”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

There seem to be 2 different views of Shame on the Moon. People either love it madly, or find it just ordinary. I'm in the latter group, although my husband liked it.

First, let me say that Ginger at the front desk is every bit as wonderful as they say. She really does make you feel welcome. I found the service to be excellent. Upon reading the other reviews, I opted for the quieter garden room and was glad I did, because, as noted by others, the main dining room got very, very noisy.

Reservations are a must!! I called the night before and was told that they could seat us either at 5: 30 or 8 PM. We chose the earlier time, and although the place was empty when we arrived, it was hopping by the time we left, 2 hours later.

So why the mediocre review? The food was coffee shop quality in my opinion. I had the corn chowder to start - - very salty. My husband's salad looked good & large. My shrimp & scallops were covered with the same salty, gooey sauce that bathed my husband's ahi.. Coffee was ok, hubby liked his napoleon

All in all, not awful, but not great either