“A star at the sushi bar.”

Kobe Japanese Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Kobe Japanese Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 107 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Frank Sinatra
Description: Welcome!!! Exit bustling Highway 111, pass the waterfall, cross the red footbridge over the golden koi and enter the delightful world of Japanese dining at Kobe Japanese Steak House. Experience the excitement and distinctive flavors of our authentic Japanese teppan-yaki ("iron plate cooking"), prepared right at your table by knife-wielding chefs. Located in a replica of a Japanese country inn, Kobe is best known as the home of beautiful kimono-clad servers and the most talented teppan chefs in the desert, serving the highest quality and most flavorful beef, seafood and poultry available in Southern California.
Reviewed August 22, 2018

Each time someone departs the sushi bar we worry about who comes next. Reese left and we became fans of Chef Shinji. Alas Shinji has gone elsewhere. We were totally impressed with his replacement Chef Masaya. Originally from Osaka he is probably the most accomplished and authentic sushi chef I have met since leaving Japan many years ago. Tataki presentation just beautiful. Artistic “Asahi” or rising sun flair on tamago sashimi super. As each dish arrived we increasingly realized this guy is someone special. To our surprise he is only at the sushi bar on Tuesdays and is a Teppanyaki chef the rest of the time. Do not think management fully understands how good Masaya is- should be featured at the sushi bar every night!

Jaime B, General Manager at Kobe Japanese Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Thank you Bill! We do love Masaya in the sushi bar as well! I myself remember him at Nodante on El Paseo! I will look into how we can use him more or if he would like to be used more for Sushi!
I will pass on your kind words to him!
Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

We tried to have dinner here with our two small children but ended up walking out. The kids meal was $18 and our kids wanted fried rice and a beverage. We were told the wild rice would be an extra $5 and $3 for a beverage bringing the total for my 4 and 8 year olds to eat, $29 a piece. No thanks!

Also atmosphere was horrible and full of grumpy old people.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

I like the idea of Teppan Chef cook your food in front of customers, but Benihana Style Teppan-Yaki is out of date for me. YES, all of the foods my chef cooked was very delicious, it seemed that portion was very small, and I did not get full, even though we ordered the set menu.

Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

We were in town visiting family and looking for a place to have a birthday dinner. I have been wanting to go to Kobe as it seems somewhat authentic and the place is decorated in Japanese style. The food was good, including the rolls and the interaction with the chef made the experience fun. As for gluten free, it is not as everything is made on the same grill so cross contamination exist, they do have gluten free soy sauce and will separate your portions. All in all it was a good dinner and time.

1  Thank Joe M
Reviewed June 5, 2018

This is not a place to go if you're on a budget. This is a place to go if you'd like an entertaining experience.

The outside is as pictured, picturesque once one leaves the parking lot and approaches the restaurant, with a feel of Japan. Inside, you're seated quickly, groups of patrons at a table where they are cooked for and entertained by a chef from an open grill. Prices are on the high side, but you do receive some entertainment in the form of the food preparation and attempts for volunteers amongst the patrons for catching pieces of food on the fly. The food is fresh, you get a complete meal, portions are adequate.

Jaime B, Manager at Kobe Japanese Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2018

Thank you!
Hope to see you for more fun soon!