“Entertaining and good value”

Kobe Japanese Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Kobe Japanese Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 103 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Frank Sinatra
Description: Welcome!!! Exit bustling Highway 111, pass the waterfall, cross the red footbridge over the golden koi and enter the delightful world of Japanese dining at Kobe Japanese Steak House. Experience the excitement and distinctive flavors of our authentic Japanese teppan-yaki ("iron plate cooking"), prepared right at your table by knife-wielding chefs. Located in a replica of a Japanese country inn, Kobe is best known as the home of beautiful kimono-clad servers and the most talented teppan chefs in the desert, serving the highest quality and most flavorful beef, seafood and poultry available in Southern California.
Vancouver, Canada
“Entertaining and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

You won't go away hungry and the ala carte items include soup, rice and appy and dessert. A tad passe in today's world but the food and service are consistently good.

Visited January 2013

Reno, Nevada
“The hostess desk needs a personnel change.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 5:10 pm on a Thurs. evening. We didn't have a reservation, but the young lady indicated a party of 4 was no problem and the wait was 15-30 min. I found this interesting due to the fact that we were the only patrons in the restaurant. Fully understanding this was a stage performance, and they needed to fill a large grill area we retreated to the bar. So far, so good. After a round of drinks and a scallop appetizer (which required 30 min. to prepare) we were coming up on 50 min. of waiting time. I don't know about other wives, but mine becomes, shall I say,a bit irritable when hungry or tired. At her urging, I inquired where we stood in this unfolding drama. Mind you, maybe 25 people have entered and been seated. Understanding that they may have had reservations, I felt patience would be rewarded. The young lady told me we were next, and I dutifully reported this to my wife and our party, and could taste the tempura shrimp in my mind's taste buds! Now things went from bad to tsunami! One after another, 3 couples are called, and the 2 ladies in our party reached some kind of estrogen breaking point! I was given the assignment to find a Plan B venue, and knowing time was of the essence, I phoned our longtime favorite Ristorante Donatella, and was invited over immediately. A great dinner followed. As I left Kobe, I wished them all Sayonara, knowing full well, we would not be back!

2 Thank tahoejk
Tiburon, CA
“Good food, a great show!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a large Benihana-style steak house, where visitors sit in several squares, each square around it's chef, who cooks your food in front of you, while executing tricks and skill with his knives and spatulas....very entertaining! The food was very good, and reasonably priced. The only drawback is that your clothes and hair will smell of cooking when you leave!

Visited December 2012
San Diego
“Another nice evening at Kobe - consistently good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Almost every time we are in the Palm Desert Area, we stop at Kobe on 111 in Rancho Mirage.

They open a 5 pm and from 5 to 6 they have a special Early Bird Special. The specials can be quite a discount from their dinner menu which starts at 6 pm.

We didn't have reservations but it was a Sunday and they seated us very quickly.

They cook the food right in front of you and entertain you with both their culinary skills as well as some jokes and humor. They cook the food exactly the way you want it and will add or subtract ingredients. If you've been there before, you will recognize that the show is similar to what it was the last time that you were there, but hey, it is still entertaining.

A few minor tips: (1) the fried rice costs more and (2) the white rice is free and if you want they'll give you a free second helping. The white rice with soy sauce or with ginger sauce is very tasty. If they seat you on a corner of the table, slide out of position the adjacent chair or you'll be knocking knees with another person. Better yet would be to simply sit more towards the center as it is easier to get access to your plate next to the grill.

We've eaten at other restaurants like Kobe including Kobe in Lahaina (Maui), Ichibans in Minneapolis, Fire and Ice in Lake Tahoe (BTW, it wasnt very good) and perhaps a half dozen others. Kobe in Rancho Mirage was as good as any of the others IMHO.

If my review is helpful, let me know by clicking on the "helpful" button. If you didn't like it, let me know.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank BJRSanDiego
WestCoast
“What Happen to KOBE ?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Read ALL the reviews & notice the ones where food was over cooked!!!

That is exactly what happen @ our table & the one next to us, as I talk with patrons who sat @ our table afterwards in the garden & it seems to be a pattern!! Not even the butter can save over-cooked food !

You pay to be entertained by the Chef who tries to engaged the table which did not happen, with 1 shrimp cut in two being offered to the table. What happened to the Show? So without the shrimp flying & specials cooking tricks, with amazing skilled knife works, bring us to the Food.

WOW, the WORST Garlic Spicy Rice EVER!!! Even the regular Rice was soggy & tasteless & he makes it right there. But over cooking the Filet, Scallops & Prawns is just WRONG !!!

NO ONE @ our Table was impressed & the 18% Gratuity added as a couple was an insult! No one left more to thank the Chef for making the evening fun or had me wanting to come back!

• Visited October 2012