“Pretty Good BBQ . . but a little overpriced.”

Babe's Bar-B-Que Grill and Brewhouse
Ranked #2 of 105 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Husband and I just went to Babe's for our last night out on vacation. We LOVE a good BBQ. Babe's definitely has the ambiance right, a little on the rustic side, pigs everywhere. The food was great. I thoroughly enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich along with the baked beans, and sweet potato fries. This was the first time I've had sweet potato fries where they come with sugar on them, yummie!! My husband has the beef brisket sandwich. He stated it was a little on the fatty side. He didn't like it as much as Famous Daves (and nothing beats Sticky Fingers in the south), but it was better than many of the bbq places we've been to. However, the meals did seem to be a little overpriced and the service left a lot to be desired. I would go back though. . . . the food was pretty tastey.

1  Thank mytmo

Reviewed October 29, 2007

My husband and I ate here and had great service. Not the best ribs I've had but they were good. Large portions of side orders. Baked beans were good as well as the huge yam. Enjoyed eating outside as the weather was great.

Reviewed October 19, 2007

I got sick off of there brewed beer, they stopped selling it after my
complaint and the manager wouldn't give me a refund. Please go some where else. This place should be shut down.

1  Thank CrosRoads
Reviewed October 5, 2007

If you have alzheimers you might like this place since you will not remember what the previous bite tasted like. My wife ordered the Tri Tip with Pecan yam. I ordered the Short Ribs with veggies and ate from the Yam. Both of our meals arrived very cold. Not luke warm, but cold like out of the refrigerator. The short rib was nearly all fat and was lost within the watery overcooked veggies. I glanced at my wife and saw her same expression. "This is horrible!" She responded as I lay down my fork and asked for the manager to come to our table. I told him that the kitchen needed thermometers to test the temp of the food and that our meal was not acceptable. The Tri tip was clearly pre sliced thin hours before and dryer than a piece of leather. Only the yam was warm, but the pecans were well passed their use by date. The manager said he would talk to the kitchen to correct the issue. Not offering to get us new plates of food. He brought us a half price bill which we paid in laughter that this place had the gaul to be in business and we left. Two very bad meals and an idiot manager makes for a great place to stay away from.

Reviewed June 18, 2007

COMPLIMENTS: Quick friendly service, decent selection of draft and microbrew beers ($4.75 ea). Wedge salad ($3 add’l with order of meal) was large in portion and includes pecans (interesting flavor). We received all courses (drinks, salad, and meal) within minutes of each other. Baby Back Ribs were sweet and juicy (at the end of the rack, but a little tougher towards the middle of the rack) with a honey flavored sweet sauce. The baked beans are not sweet, but are a little more on the spicy side. The garlic-mashed potatoes were good, but not great. You are offered a choice of 2 sides with your meal, which include, yams, fries, sweet potato fries, cole slaw, beans, and garlic mashed potatoes. Also, serve pizza and sandwiches. At the end your meal, they serve you a moist towel (not a towelette) and a sorbet to cleanse your palette.

COMPLAINTS: Parking lot at Rancho Mirage mall is always full, but to Babe’s credit, they have a little golf car that goes around the parking lot looking for customers headed their way and will give you a ride. The bar area is rather small in size and would not accommodate very many people if there were a long waiting list. Server forgot to bring the BBQ Sauce for my husband’s tri-Tip and it was difficult to get anybody’s attention once they raced off after serving you your meal. The sides used to include macaroni and cheese a couple of years ago, but they no longer serve them (too bad).

Total cost for Baby Back Ribs ($25.95), Tri Tip ($25.95) and two microbrew beers = $62.39. Our bellys were hurtin for certain after eating at Babes – very large portions and we were very satisfied with overall quality, quantity and service.