“Good Food-Poor Service”

Cuisines: Japanese
Indio, California
“Good Food-Poor Service”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Thought it would be nice as the other location. The food was good but the service was bad. It seemed that the sushi cooks were not interested in acknowledging my sister about sushi ( who knows a lot about it) and then the server had to be flagged down for every order. Took a long time for every order even tho we were sitting at the sushi bar 2 feet away from the cooks. Won't go here again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jim K

Vancouver, Canada
“Yuck.”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My teenage son and I tried Sams and boy were we sorry.
We could barely eat the rolls. Our order was wrong, which the waitress did correct after a long wait. Mistakes happen and that doesn't reflect in my review of the food.
It was just bad!

Laguna Beach
“Good Value for a Japanese Place”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have a place across the River in Rancho Mirage and I am Asian so I am always looking for a place where I can get good Asian meal for a reasonable price. Sam's Sushi is such a place and you will find me having lunch here very frequently.

It is a very attractive restaurant .. very clean .. in fact, due to a comment from a previous reviewer about the cleanliness of the toilet, I checked the restroom when I used it today and it was spotless.

Usually I have a combination lunch .. salad, soup, rice which I decline due to my dietary needs, shrimp and vegetable tempura and California Roll .. all the $ 11.95 which is tough to beat. I find the service ( from the lasy servers ) to be very attentive and prompt.

If I were being very picky I wish they would use fresh salmon for the combination lunch since it is a sushi place .. their salomon could be better!

All in all a tough place to beat!

• Visited June 2013
Golden, Colorado
“Disappointing Dinner”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recommend eating elsewhere.
Service is bad and food is just so so.
Four of us went into Sam's at The River in Rancho Mirage at 3:00 p.m. We ordered two Teriyaki Bowls and a pick any three sushi rolls. The Teriyaki bowls arrived quickly and at 4:00 p.m. the pick three sushi rolls were no where in sight. Our waitress said she would check on the order with the chef and proceeded to pass the chef without checking on our order. Since we could see the chef, we could see he was not busy. I presume our order was not given to the chef, until we asked when our food would arrive. We cancelled our dinner, paid for what we had been served and left.
The Sushi at the Yard House was very good and within 200 feet of Sam's.

Colorado
“My 2nd Review and Still Awesome!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have actually been back about 5 times since my last review....I'm happy to say the food and service has remained consistent at every visit. The sushi is so fresh and the roll selections are fun to choose from....like the Baked Lobster Roll, the Popcorn Shrimp Roll, the Mango roll. They are each oversized and very filling! The restaurant continues to offer their Happy Hour menu daily, even at 6pm on a Saturday night. Can't beat the price, can't beat the atmosphere and its never crowded. I think this place is a hidden gem....probably had a bad rap from the previous owners years ago and has not been rediscovered by customers. They have both outdoor and indoor dining. Either way....great atmosphere. You should go!