“Nice atmosphere...but overpriced and not all that Chinese.”
Review of P.F. Chang's

P.F. Chang's
Ranked #18 of 105 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Well…it’s a chain, of course, so once you’ve been to one P.F. Chang’s, you’ve basically been to them all. This one is in a very nice, posh location in the River Walk in Rancho Mirage. I love the décor at P.F. Chang’s – the Asian influences, of course, but also just the dark wood and dim lighting make for a very calming atmosphere, relaxed yet stylish, which exactly how I like my restaurants.

The menu is decent, though not what I’d call “real” Chinese food by any means. I once had dinner at P.F. Chang’s with some business colleagues from Singapore, who ordered some of the dishes named for Singapore out of curiosity, then laughed incredulously when they saw them, saying that there was nothing like that sold anywhere in Singapore. I’d consider the food as Asian-inspired, but definitely geared for American palates – and the serving size reflects that as well, though serving it family-style is a nice touch which I do like.

The lettuce wraps are always good, and there are a lot of things on the menu that are decent, but although there is a wide selection of dishes to choose from, there are a lot of restaurants that have better food (when speaking specifically about Chinese cuisine, there are a lot of hole-in-the-wall takeout places in out-of-the-way strip malls who have MUCH better food). I always find myself looking forward to going and then, upon leaving, wishing I'd chosen someplace else which was less heavy and less expensive, which brings me to the prices. The food is outrageously overpriced. They currently have a prix fixé deal running – $40.00 for two people – and compared to the individual prices of what you’d pay for appetizers, entrées, and desserts, that’s a cheap price, for them, but still much too high for what is just a chain.

All in all, this is an OK place, and one that I enjoy going to every once in a great while, but definitely not all the time. Neither my waistline nor my wallet could handle it.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We went here at 4:00 on a Friday. There was no wait and the restaurant was only about 1/2 full. They do have happy hour prices on some appetizers and drinks that you can take advantage of from your seat (you don't have to go to the bar) We started with the deep fried green beans which were really good. I like the sauce that came with it, but it was just a tad bit spicy for me. We then got 3 different entres to share along with a pork fried rice side dish. Everything was average except the rice stood out a little more than the others. Service was just ok as was the food for the price. It came out to about $22 per person. Going to the River in Rancho Mirage is nice and relaxing so this PF Changs is in a wonderful location. However, If all I cared about was the food and not the atmosphere, I would rather eat at Panda Express for $7 a person.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is the second time we have visited this restaurant in The River outdoor mall in Rancho. It is great for happy hour drinks and appetizers and our server was very accommodating. We like to sit in the round booths which are roomy and semi private. I am looking at our receipt now and see that our total was $45, really reasonable for the number of dishes we ordered! Fish tacos, tofu lettuce wraps, green beans, endame, dumplings a beer and a diet coke!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I really like chinese food but this place was dissapointing. The place is nice and the service was good but food is not nearly as good as other chinese restaurants I'm used to. It's not terrible but not my favorite

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have eaten in several PF Chang's restaurants and this is the only branch which disappointed me. We ate here at lunch time and dinner time on the same day, with different servers. The first server, who was a Chinese man, kept clearing our table even if we were not done eating. He offered and gave a to-go bag and even packed my companion's food even if I wasn't done. He even took my utensils while I was still using it. I told him about what he did, but he just said without any apology that he's going to replace it.

At dinner with another server (Kalaina's the name), we waited for about 15 minutes for our change and receipt after we paid. We had to approach her and ask for our receipt. She said "Oh, you need it? here it is". But still, she did not give our change back. When we asked for it she just said "You also need your change? Ok, here it is." She had no intention of returning our change to us! There's a lot of negative things to say here. tsk tsk.

It doesn't matter if the food is great in a restaurant. If the service is bad, your experience in an establishment will overall be bad.

The food is just alright. Some dishes are a bit salty (crispy noodles). Most are good. Some are oily. Utensils look dirty.