“Food and service excellent”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 104 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 44th Avenue
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great menu variety. Very busy, however, the waitress kept reassuring us that our food was on its way. Have the soufflé for dessert it is incredible!!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Food was ok, but incredibly slow. Kitchen was super slow, and the waitress just seemed like she could not manage. I had been looking forward to trying Roy's, but was disappointed.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I received a 20% off coupon and decided to eat at Roy's the first night of our vacation. It was just okay. Our server was not really attentive to us...he had at least 3 other tables. Our lobster rolls appetizer arrived way before our drinks. Then there was a real lag time until the entree appeared. My salmon was really sushi like even though I requested a more done preparation. Thank heavens for the soufflé because my husband's scallop entree was so small that he was starving. The high point of the meal was the plentiful bowl of soybeans!

1  Thank ADolores
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I came by on a Monday night with no reservation at 7 PM. Restaurant was mostly full but they found a table for us. The valet staff, the hostess, the waiter the other waitstaff and the bus staff are all top-notch, high caliber high-quality and genuinely friendly. Literally you will feel the Aloha Spirit when you walk into this place. It's like being in Hawaii. Our waiter Carlos was really a cut above your average waiter. Service was attentive without being obsequious. Each time he came to the table I wanted to smile. He's just a happy guy. Managers came by to check on you. Literally anything you wanted was provided for you as long as you explained your needs. We started with the Monday night special martini which was a Hawaiian Martini which was essentially a martini that tasted like a piña colada. Delicious and only six dollars on Mondays. We then moved on to the ultimate mai tai and "Rye me a river". Both were well-balanced excellent cocktails. The nice thing about the ultimate mai tai was that it is slightly less sweet than the regular mai tai. Appetizers consisted of lobster roll sushi which was excellent. I had the Szechuan green beans which were crisp, delicious and spicy without being overpowering. The green bean dish includes whole chilis and these slightly sweet, fried Chinese sausages which were deliciously crunchy. We also had the rock shrimp tempura which was really well executed. It was mildly spicy in an aioli sauce but the tempuri batter was very thin and did not overwhelm the shrimp. For my entrée I had the braised short ribs. The texture was perfect. They were soft and fell apart on the fork. However while the taste was good but slightly bland. It was not the over-the-top excellent that I remembered from Hawaii the year before. This may be due to the different ingredients in the preparation. If you like your braised short ribs prepared without anything to interfere with the taste of the meat, then these are for you. For anyone with a standard American palate I think that they would be considered very good. My wife ordered the duck. In contrast to most restaurants that tend to overcook or undercook duck, Roy's prepares the duck using the sous vide technique which renders the duck perfectly cooked. The seasonings were outstanding. It was really a lovely dish. Dessert consisted of the macadamia nut & Hawaiian sweet bread pudding for me and the macadamia nut cake for my wife. Both were well executed and exactly what you expect from a high-end restaurant. We would certainly eat here again and actually bought a gift certificate for friends of ours who live in the area.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We had never heard of Roy's before and visited based on the great reviews on TripAdvisor. We arrived exactly at 4:30 on a Friday evening and got the last table in the bar and by 5 all the other seats in the bar area were taken. So, arrive early if you want to try out their happy hour.

It became obvious that service is everything here and all the staff appear happy and willing to help a hand. We were asked at least once every few minutes if we needed anything else. We ordered the $6 appetizers and were very impressed with the beef sliders and tempura crusted ahi rolls (we ordered a second batch of these), the mahi mini tacos( 3 per order)were just okay and were not really worth it. Everything though is beautifully presented. Even though there was a wait for the bar tables we were not really pressured to leave once we finished our apps - you're allowed to nurse your drink and watch the goings on in the open kitchen.

We really enjoyed this visit and appreciated the hard work and kindness of all the staff. For $30-40, you can have quite a filling meal of 2 appetizers and a drink each. We will likely return for a full meal in the near future.