“Tapas during Happy Hour”

Catalan Mediterranean Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Catalan Mediterranean Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 103 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Frank Sinatra & Country Club
Description: Family owned & operated, Catalan Mediterranean Cuisine is situated in the heart of Restaurant Row in Rancho Mirage. The restaurant specializes in Western Mediterranean cuisine bringing forth tastes from Italy & Spain. Known to offer one of the most authentic Paella and Tapas experience in the Desert. The restaurant also offers a rustic yet modern atmosphere that is bound to make one have a comprehensive experience of the food. We take immense pride in our staff FOH & BOH who are very committed to offer you the best quality of food and service. The adjacent Boqueria Bar specializes in House Signature drinks as well as offer innovative cocktails while promising the guest an ambiance of elegance and fun. Awards: Palm Springs Best New Restaurant of the Year 2013. RAMMY Award Winner - Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year 2014. Palm Springs Life Best of the Best 2014.
Palm Springs, California
“Tapas during Happy Hour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

By word of mouth we tried Catalan's Happy Hour Tapas to find all dishes excellent, the right size for the price and unusual in style. The crispy, spicy deep fried chick peas in a bowl was the perfect alternatives to peanut snacks with martini. Red bell pepper poppers stuffed with goat cheese were truly special. Though calamari may seem common, the dish and dipping sauce was high on our list. My wife loves chicken livers to which the claim was "marvelous". Skewered chorizo sausage and cheese was also different from most restaurants. The only down side was no reservations for this treat in the bar.

• Visited May 2013

Vancouver
“Enjoyed it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Visiting Palm Springs we decided to try something different. Catalan implies this is Spanish food. We almost left because at the entrance drive way there is a guy asking to valet park the car. Although he said parking is free, you do have to tip him when you leave. When we got in, the hostess said that you can park your car and don't have to valet park it. We felt it was unnecessary to go through the rigamaroll and pressure of extra cost of valet parking.
So the restaurant is very nice, clean, white table cloths and offers inside or patio tables. The menu is very limited and offers appetizers for approx. $16 to main dishes, pasta $28 to $ 42. quite pricey. My husband ordered a flatbread dish (quite large portion) and very tasty. I had the Catalan Chop Salad and it was also a large serving and it was absolutely delicious. We both couldn't eat any main course after that. Deserts are about $9 but we ordered a passion fruit sorbet which was again a large serving with 2 scoops and only $4. The only thing we weren't happy with was the very slow service - at least they were nice.

• Visited April 2013
“The Best Pre Fix menu in the Desert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

First, free Valet. Simple exterior. Surprising beautiful interior with lovely center courtyard. I felt i was in Barcelona. I still enjoyed the courtyard from the bar. If you eat in the bar, the prefix menu is available all night. I have been twice. The Sangria is bold, too strong for me. Olives, olive oil, bread, and pate is served. All good, but the olives (green) were the best. The breaded chicken livers are Delicious, really an unexpected treat. The breading is the best I have ever had. The skirt steak is tasty but the preparation is greasy. My second trip I had the Scallops. They were Very Very Good!!! I would order them again. My desert wss rice pudding with sugar coated pistachios!!!! So rich and yummy! I will be back for sure!! My service was excellent too.

Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
“Creative cuisine, carefully prepared and presented”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visit the Palm Springs area every year in April, and have tended to visit the same few restaurants out of habit and tradition (our children have been coming here since they were babies, and there are a few things they insist we do on every visit, including dinner at Kobe). This trip, though, we wanted to branch out a bit. A careful scan of TripAdvisor revealed Catalan as a top choice in Rancho Mirage. Once again, TripAdvisor shoots and scores...

We arrived at about 7pm on an Tuesday evening in late April and asked to be seated in the bar area (the $22 Pre Fixe menu is available all evening in the bar), and were immediately settled at a corner table for five. The host -- I later figured out he is also the chef-owner -- was evidently warm and solicitous, and we immediately felt at home. Nice touch. We were served by the bartender, a young woman who fell distinctly on the "casual" side of the service fence, but who knew and truly loved the food, and gave us good advice when we asked questions. I'll take knowledge and enthusiasm over starched service any day.

We enjoyed the small plate of amuse-bouche, which included fruity olive oil, a chicken liver pate, and herbed olives, all delicious. All five members of our party went with the pre fixe menu, which represents a great value and offers a great range of options. Here's what we had:

- Calamari with squid-ink aioli -- light and delicious preparation

- Chicken livers with polenta -- mild flavored and beautifully presented

- Romaine salad -- a deconstructed version of a Caesar -- good not sensational

- Spaghetti, Pancetta, and Fried Farm Egg -- essentially, a deconstructed Spaghetti Carbonara. Delicious and simple, my daughter really enjoyed this.

- Seared Scallops -- simply prepared and presented. My wife and her aunt really enjoyed them

- Grilled Veal Skirt Steak -- beautifully presented, with two generous portions of steak grilled and rolled, then topped with a salsa verde (perhaps most like a chimichurri in my experience). My son substituted roasted potatoes for the gratin, and wasn't taken with the roasted peppers, which I had later and thought were fine if not sensational. He did like the steak very much, however.

- The Catalan Paella -- my dish, and really an excellent choice. Rich, dense with calamari, shrimp and chicken, very tasty.

The desserts of the night were similarly interested and flavorful. I enjoyed a glass of the Dos grenache-syrah from the wine list, as well.

The bar area where we sat was pleasant enough, though acoustically a little on the hard side. The courtyard area would have been very nice on this late spring night; I didn't look into the main dining room, so I can't comment on the space.

Catalan was a great find for dinner in the desert -- creatively conceived and prepared food, beautifully presented and (with the pre fixe menu) remarkably well-priced. The service was friendly and knowledgable, and the overall flow of the evening was just about perfect. Next time you're in the Palm Springs area, branch out a bit.

Palm Springs, California
“Creative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We chose to sit in the interior courtyard on a mild early evening Interestingly, the chair legs got caught up in the tile pavers which made it difficult to move your chair. Just a small annoyance. Bread was served with a small plate of marinated olives, olive oil and house made chicken liver pâté
We ordered from the regular menu. My husband's seared scallops were prepared with chorizo, English peas, spring onion, oyster mushrooms and saffron aioli They were large and cooked perfectly. I chose grilled seasonal vegetables. The chef presented char grilled romaine lettuce, whole spring onions, fresh asparagus, green beans, oyster mushrooms, grape tomatoes. It was beautifully presented and just delicious, if a bit peppery For dessert we shared the Catalan cream sweet custard with candied orange and almonds. My husband enjoyed house made Lemoncello It was a lovely experience