“Perfect Catalan experience”

Catalan Mediterranean Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Catalan Mediterranean Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Frank Sinatra & Country Club
Description: Family owned & operated, Catalan Mediterranean Cuisine is situated in the heart of Restaurant Row in Rancho Mirage. The restaurant specializes in Western Mediterranean cuisine bringing forth tastes from Italy & Spain. Known to offer one of the most authentic Paella and Tapas experience in the Desert. The restaurant also offers a rustic yet modern atmosphere that is bound to make one have a comprehensive experience of the food. We take immense pride in our staff FOH & BOH who are very committed to offer you the best quality of food and service. The adjacent Boqueria Bar specializes in House Signature drinks as well as offer innovative cocktails while promising the guest an ambiance of elegance and fun. Awards: Palm Springs Best New Restaurant of the Year 2013. RAMMY Award Winner - Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year 2014. Palm Springs Life Best of the Best 2014.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I spent a week in Catalunya summer 2012, and went to Catalan in the hope of recapturing a slice of that wonderful trip, and the restaurant did not disappoint. We ate in the open air central courtyard, which is a beautiful setting. We started with the spinach and garlic soup, which was one of the most unique soups we have ever had and utterly delicious. We split the paella for two. Often, paella is 80% rice and 20% good stuff (sausage, seafood, etc.), but not here. It was more good stuff than rice -- clams, mussels, fish, sausage, pork and calamari everywhere, interspersed with rice here and there in a perfect sause. The clams, calamari and mussels were done to perfection -- soft and succulent. The sausage had a most unique flavor -- rich and almost but not quite spicy/hot. The paella was actually better than what we had had in Spain. And the sauteed spinach, a basic dish, was somehow infused with this rich texture of oil without being oily, and a great garlic flavor. Kiersten, our waitress, was also perfect. Pretentious waiters/waitresses irritate us, but she was down to earth, attentive, knowledgeable about the food, and even pretty amusing. We were there for over two hours, and never felt remotely rushed. The quality and relaxed atmosphere, and the outdoor courtyard, all very much had the feel of a bona fide restaurant in Spain. The portions were quite generous, so, even though the desserts sounded terrific, we were too stuffed to try them. Food, bottle of wine, and capuccino's afterward, and the bill, with a generous tip for the great service, ran $150. Which was $150 very well spent.

2  Thank leej55

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Very large servings, ordered the for one and for two and both were big. Very solid dish, recommend. Restaurant had a nice decor and a good feel. Free valet service and the food service was excellent and personable. Would return again, very enjoyable place. The front lady even turned off the overhead fan because she thought I looked cold.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Excellent deals during Happy Hour IN THE BAR. Delicious food. Great service. Enjoyed the evening sitting at the bar. Yummy sangria. We had the 3 course prix-fixed dinner (in the bar). Osso bucco was savory and generous - brought some home. The paella was absolutely stunning. Loaded with all the good stuff. Brought some of that home also. Generous portions. I think this prix-fixed meal was $21 or $23! Wines were $5 a glass. Beer $3. Will go there again.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I ordered a filet mid rare but it came out mid well. I spoke to my sever (which had no knowledge of the menu) about it and she took my plate. The Chef (Drew) came out to my table and was very rude and treated me and my wife like it was our fault they messed up my order. Was no apologetic at all. Will never be a patron of this restaurant again. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Catalan is a great little restaurant that we discovered on our most recent trip. We happened to be there on Wine Wednesday which was just an added bonus. We selected a lovely Spanish Tempranillo for 12.50, yes for the bottle not a glass!

The food was delicious and authentic. The service was outstanding. We will be back for sure. If you are going on a Wednesday make a reservation.