New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Stay here but play somewhere else”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

Just got back from two nights, my first trip here since they opened the hotel. The hotel itself is very nice -- the rooms are large and modern, with nice step-in showers and two flat screens (one in the bathroom). I stayed in room 1000 and then room 511. Why two rooms? Well, because at midnight on night two, I requested a room change due to the screaming (and I mean screaming) child in the room next to me. The screaming and crying and hysteria was so loud and prolonged (40 minutes?) that I had to call the front desk and tell them that I feared for the child's safety. Here's how you know you are in a good hotel... THEY ACTUALLY SENT SECURITY TO CHECK IT OUT! Now, how often does that happen? (It turns out the child "was not used to sleeping in a strange bed," according to one of the two adults who answered the door "and her mother is not here." (Later I figured out that there was one toddler, one infant and three adults staying in that room. For the life of me, I'm sorry but I will never understand why people take small children to a casino hotel that has absolutely nothing for the kids to do, especially when Palm Springs is 10 minutes away with probably a million more appropriate kid-friendly places to stay.)

Security demanded to physically see the child and check it out for themselves. Oh, bless them. Because really, all I want to make sure is, well, you get it. After security left, the screaming continued ("The lambs, Clarice...") so I called the front desk and said, "Okay, that's it, move me." Again, to the hotel's credit, I was moved in 15 minutes (to a lesser quality room, but still, I give them total props.)

Overall, beds are very comfy, towels are fluffy, water is $5 a bottle in your room, there is no minibar to speak of (unless you ask them to pre-stock it), and there is a RIDICULOUS resort fee (so if you are quoted a price for a room, remember, that DOES NOT include the resort fee or tax).

I ate in the coffee shop, the steak restaurant, the deli and also got room service. The food is just so-so, especially at the steak restaurant (where I was served probably the worst piece of prime rib ever, along with an inedible bread pudding dessert). The hot dog at the deli was good (but the deli itself was scary filthy). It took room service 45 minutes to deliver a bowl of cereal and hot chocolate, which came lukewarm in a styrofoam cup.

The pool looked nice, although no one was swimming. And the spa has a long list of services, but I didn't go there either since I had come mostly for the gambling. And here's where my major complaint occurs... How many casinos SHUT DOWN about one-third of their machines after Saturday night? How many? I have played in casinos all over the world and my answer would be: None.

Until I got to Agua Caliente, which as a common practice (that I did not know about until I saw it for myself), literally TURNS OFF ONE-THIRD OF ITS SLOT MACHINES AFTER SATURDAY NIGHT. One-third, people. Not like two or three machines down for maintenance. Noooo. This place literally just turns them alllllll off. And why? I could get absolutely no explanation that made sense. Here's what I was told from the many people I asked: "That's what we always do." "I don't know." "We shut them down during the week." (Okay, I pointed out, but this is a Sunday....) "We only have those machines working when we have a concert." What? What!

As a result, the slot players were all jammed into the other side of the casino with many fewer machines to play (and if you play slots, you know how much "fun" that is....)

I had also gone to the 29 Casino during this same trip (15 minutes down the road) and that casino was absolutely humming with people and fun and all machines were working, etc. Agua Caliente paled in comparison, so be warned.

So if you want a nice hotel with good service and okay food, but don't care about the casino action, this is your place. Otherwise, stay here and play somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank KathyAnne0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Chicago, Il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

We just stayed for a few days at the resort. It is a beautiful establishment and the rooms are gorgeous. Unfortunately that's when the positives end. The service in the restaurants and pool bar was terrible. The most comical part was the ridiculous size of the overpriced drinks from the bar. The martini's consisted of a tablespoon of liquid and three giant olives. The Mai Tai was orange and pineapple juice and that was it. Where's the rum?
They served us drinks at the pool in the most ridiculous plastic contraption that resembled a shake weight. The food in the restaurant was adequate but the service was horrible. Central location in the desert is great. Easy to get anywhere in no time. We stayed at the Indian Wells Resort the first 3 days of our trip and enjoyed that much more. If you don't care about having a casino in your resort, stay there instead. It is a much better value.

• Stayed February 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights. The hotel room was outstanding...better than many places in Vegas. The casino was pretty decent for non vegas. We ate at the hotel steakhouse and it was super super amazing. Food and the service.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Green Valley AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

excellant doesn't discribe it: Had Grandkids with had security at elavators ,felt more safe for them. Buffet had many many choices, some thing for everyone!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

The hotel was nice but the casino had slot machines turned off on purpose because it was slow (wed/thurs) and not cost efficient to have them all turned on. Most of the ones turned off were in the non-smoking section. We went to the other casinos is the area and they all had all of their machines available. It would seem that for as much money as they bring in they could operate the entire casino.

Steakhouse was great, especially the onion soup!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank VAECalifornia
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

This is an update from the review I did a year ago. We have stayed here several times since my last review. We always stay 2-3 nights. We are Black Card holders now which means we get everything comped and stay in a suite. Our first visit was in a regular pool view room. The suite is awesome. It is very large and luxurious with ~1200 sq. ft. There is a separate very large bedroom. The bathroom is larger than a lot of bedrooms with completely separate dual sinks, large jacuzzi bath, flat screen TV, and a huge shower with 6 shower heads. There are large flat screen TVs in the bedroom and living room. There is a wet bar, safe, and small refrigerator. The furnishings are very plush. We always stay on either the 12th or 14th floor.

The service is excellent, especially the bell service and valet parking. Very nice pool and spa. The buffet is very good on certain days, IE Wednesday and Friday. Thursday is not so good.

Note: Just about all casino hotels, whether in Las Vegas or elsewhere charge for Internet access. You are supposed to be playing and not with your computer.

There is a very nice private lounge on the 2nd floor for Black Card+ members that has free food and drinks. It is a very nice place to sit back and relax.

The casino is good and we do a lot better there than at the Las Vegas strip. You can also play at the Spa Casino in downtown Palm Springs on the same card as it is owned by the same tribe.

We always eat dinner once at the steakhouse which is very good. I always order the 32 oz. bone-in Rib Eye. We use room service for breakfast which is very good and eat a couple times at the buffet.

The only con is it is very difficult to get a late checkout.

All in all this is an excellent luxury hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed at your hotel/casino for one night celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and I don't think we could have been more pleased. Everyone was polite and quick to help. We ate at WatersCafe for our breakfast/brunch and it was excellent. We dined at the Steakhouse on Saturday night and the food was superb as was the service. The casino, although fairly crowded Saturday night, was roomy with plenty of room to walk around without bumping into people. I would highly recomend this getaway place for any length of stay. Good job!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa? Share your experiences!