Sorry to report that one of my favorite hotels of all time in the Palm Springs area (where my husband and I have come on average about once per mo since it opened) has taken a further turn for the worse. It literally stinks when you walk in! Someone got the idea to cover the smoke smell in the casino and lobby with a sickening, concentrated and heavy flowery smell. Its like someone sprayed an entire can of Glade air freshener in your face. Its inescapable and its coming full force from all the vents. It almost made me ill.
As we stood in line to check in, everyone was commenting on it and there was not one positive comment. "wow, this is gross" was the comment of the lady behind me in line as she pinched her nose closed. As a result of the smell, I spent NO time in the casino gambling as I normally would. My lungs were very irritated by the smell. This is an epic fail for whoever thought this idea up.
The rooms are still lovely and well appointed but again someone sprayed some sort of lily of the valley type, heavy flowery scent in there as well (nothing that I recall smelling in all the years we've been coming there). I am guessing that someone smoked in a non-smoking room and this is how they handled it. It too made me sick to smell it and I requested a room ionizer which housekeeping brought to me. It took a full 3+ hrs to get rid of most of the smell and during that time, I left the room and sat outside. I thought of how ridiculous it was that I could not relax and enjoy my hotel room OR the casino because of the "fragrance experiment" going on in the hotel.
Why this hotel was a favorite was the overall experience it provided. We enjoyed the spacious hotel room, grounds, casino gambing and dining. Which brings me to my next (continuing) disappointment and that is the buffet is even worse than when we were last here in June. In years past, it used to be one of the best in the area with ample, freshly cooked food with great variety and attentive chefs and staff. And it used to be packed with people. We went at 6PM and despite the hotel being booked to capacity on a Sunday, the dining area looked extremely empty (row after row of empty tables) and shadow of its former self. We were one of the few diners there.
The turkey was dry and looked like it had been under that heat lamp since lunch. The bread rolls were completely dried out and hard as a rock, there were few entrees I would want (there were not a lot of them) and lots of inexpensive items such as pizza, salad, etc. Everything we tried tasted reheated and over-spiced. As I mentioned in a previous review, this is not worth $19.95 but more like $8.99 (Home Town Buffet caliber, if that).
I personally won't be back. I have asthma and really had no problem staying there or playing in the past when the ventilations systems were operating well. I have no idea what management decisions led to the current state of affairs but something has gone wrong at Agua Caliente Resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All the pleasures of a luxurious, four-diamond destination are yours at Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa in Rancho Mirage, California. Our beautiful 16-story resort includes our wildly popular casino, and has pools and well appointed cabanas, an exceptional spa, and a state-of-the-art concert theatre. Located only seven miles from Palm Springs International Airport and 130 miles east of Los Angeles off I -10 and Bob Hope Drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agua Caliente Hotel Rancho Mirage
- Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa Rancho Mirage, CA - California Desert