“Agua Caliente Resort Now Literally Stinks!”

Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersSilver level
Irvine, California
“Agua Caliente Resort Now Literally Stinks!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Sorry to report that one of my favorite hotels of all time in the Palm Springs area (where my husband and I have come on average about once per mo since it opened) has taken a further turn for the worse. It literally stinks when you walk in! Someone got the idea to cover the smoke smell in the casino and lobby with a sickening, concentrated and heavy flowery smell. Its like someone sprayed an entire can of Glade air freshener in your face. Its inescapable and its coming full force from all the vents. It almost made me ill.
As we stood in line to check in, everyone was commenting on it and there was not one positive comment. "wow, this is gross" was the comment of the lady behind me in line as she pinched her nose closed. As a result of the smell, I spent NO time in the casino gambling as I normally would. My lungs were very irritated by the smell. This is an epic fail for whoever thought this idea up.

The rooms are still lovely and well appointed but again someone sprayed some sort of lily of the valley type, heavy flowery scent in there as well (nothing that I recall smelling in all the years we've been coming there). I am guessing that someone smoked in a non-smoking room and this is how they handled it. It too made me sick to smell it and I requested a room ionizer which housekeeping brought to me. It took a full 3+ hrs to get rid of most of the smell and during that time, I left the room and sat outside. I thought of how ridiculous it was that I could not relax and enjoy my hotel room OR the casino because of the "fragrance experiment" going on in the hotel.

Why this hotel was a favorite was the overall experience it provided. We enjoyed the spacious hotel room, grounds, casino gambing and dining. Which brings me to my next (continuing) disappointment and that is the buffet is even worse than when we were last here in June. In years past, it used to be one of the best in the area with ample, freshly cooked food with great variety and attentive chefs and staff. And it used to be packed with people. We went at 6PM and despite the hotel being booked to capacity on a Sunday, the dining area looked extremely empty (row after row of empty tables) and shadow of its former self. We were one of the few diners there.
The turkey was dry and looked like it had been under that heat lamp since lunch. The bread rolls were completely dried out and hard as a rock, there were few entrees I would want (there were not a lot of them) and lots of inexpensive items such as pizza, salad, etc. Everything we tried tasted reheated and over-spiced. As I mentioned in a previous review, this is not worth $19.95 but more like $8.99 (Home Town Buffet caliber, if that).

I personally won't be back. I have asthma and really had no problem staying there or playing in the past when the ventilations systems were operating well. I have no idea what management decisions led to the current state of affairs but something has gone wrong at Agua Caliente Resort.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an ionizer if they have sprayed your room with a heavily scented odor...
1 Thank Katie H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is big enough to have a variety of shops and grounds but small enough to feel more personalized. Our 'standard' room was very nice and spacious and our view of the desert was beautiful. Didn't matter we could see some roof below and highway beyond - the sunsets were lovely and the sky played out a mural of muted colors each evening. It's about 8 miles from Palm Springs but if you're there primarily for the gambling (or the shows) then you'll be fine. You'll be fine anyway - eight miles is not so far. We found decent parking spots in the self-parking. And we got to bring our dog which was a treat and surprising for a casino, in my experience. The casino is nice too ... very colorful, not as thick with smoke or noise as many of them are though smoking was allowed (not in our no-smoking room though.) It was, like the hotel itself, spacious and clean feeling. Most of all, we were pleased at getting such a nice room with its nice big tub and flat screen TV's and a bed that was very comfortable. I'm giving this hotel a 5 stars even though there are more exclusive fancy-schmancy ones that would normally get that rating. This hotel was impressive. You feel like you really get your money's worth -- without any of the pretentiousness that sometimes comes with some pseudo classy hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JesseLosAngeles
Thousand Palms, California
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was our first time staying in this resort. We were so impressed, so beautiful, well designed, furnished spacious, and decorated. Very pleasant stay, only one night. Good food, but the slots are very tight, lost quite a bit. I will, recommend to my relatives and friends.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors, have nicer views.
1 Thank Raje M
Duarte, CA
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is always clean and beautiful, the casino, rooms, restaurants, pool and restrooms are well maintained and staff are friendly and attentive.
There is some security at night when using the elevators to go to your room. The rooms are large with a mini fridge, tub, separate shower and double sink. Lots of towels and soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotion are provided. However, there is no coffee maker in the rooms. There is a large tv in the room and a smaller one in the bathroom.
The casino is fairly large with slot machines of various denominations,a variety of table games and a large poker room. At times areas of slot machines are not in service.

Room Tip: higher floors offer a nice view of the desert
1 Thank verda
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I started two nights, danced in the lounge great live band nice crowd, great food, romantic room with view of the pool area very tropical lounged in a cabana over all BEAUTIFUL RESORT! WE'RE GONNA ADD AUGA CALIENTE TO OUR HIDE AWAY SPOT!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank 4895
Chino, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The rooms are really nice, large and well appointed. The only downside is how smokey the lobby and casino are. You can actually smell the smoke BEFORE you enter the building!

The Steak House is pricey, but pretty good. The WatersCafe is what I consider mediocre. A better bet is the Poker Deli (have the corned beef on rye!) or the Buffet. I love the JavaCaliente coffee spot. Great snacks/sandwiches/salads and fabulous coffees, mochas, etc. Nice place to grab a quick breakfast.

You can't beat the valet service! Those guys are really fast and efficient. All in all, a good place to stay in the desert and very centrally located.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

One of the best Indian Casinos in California. Good food, Slots were a little slow. It is close to Palm Springs, so you have all of that to visit too.
The pool in not deep but you can enjoy being in the water!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa? Share your experiences!