“a wonderful spot for my daughter's wedding reception” 5 of 5 stars

Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersSilver level
seattle
“a wonderful spot for my daughter's wedding reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My daughter was married Sunday, Sept. 2, at the Orthodox Church which is only a three minute drive from the Agua Caliente. We picked the hotel for the reception mainly because the first time we visited the church in February we walked out of the church and looked around. The casino was all we could see so we decided to check it out as a reception venue. Good decision. Although I was a pretty stressed out mother of the bride, everything went beautifully. The event lawn is a world away from the casino - very lovely atmosphere. The tables were set up on the lawn and looked great. We ordered the barbeque buffet off the banquet menu - a good value for 85 guests- the food was really the best we've had at a wedding - so many compliments and good choices for every guest from those on gluten free to vegetarians and of course regular omnivores - everything was really tasty. We received so many compliments on the food from our guests. The buffet included cookies and brownies - I only tasted one cookie and it was really good. You need to bring in your own wedding cake, or in my daughter's case, wedding pies. But the catering staff displayed the pies beautifully. Rick and Vickie, the banquet managers were excellent - they do know what they are doing. My husband selected the wines from the house menu and they were very good. My daughter and her bridesmaids got their hair done for the wedding at the hotel Spa - Alison was amazing in doing all four girls' hair beautifully.
This was a destination wedding of sorts as no one lived closer than Long Beach and many, including the bride and groom and both sets of parents came in from over a thousand miles away. Many of our guests, as well as the bridal party, stayed at the casino hotel all weekend. They all liked their rooms. My husband and I stayed in an executive suite the night of the reception and it was a beautiful room (actually two rooms plus a very big bathroom). The wedding couple had a similar suite on the 9th floor on their wedding night and they loved it. Weddings are expensive but I do think we got good value for our money. Nothing is perfect but I definitely recommend the Agua Caliente as a wedding reception venue.
I"ll add photos later.

Room Tip: in the summer there are loud events at the pool on Friday nights. On those nights the rooms on the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kerwriter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the rooms are. They're very clean, roomy, and modern. The staff were all friendly and attentive, too. Agua Caliente is a great weekend getaway spot for our family of 3 since it has a bit of everything for each one of us to enjoy. I get to enjoy the nice rooms (I'm very particular about where I stay). My daughter gets to enjoy the swimming pool and the children's museum that's a couple of miles away. And my husband gets to gamble. There are several dining options onsite as well. The buffet is pretty good. It's not as fancy as some of the Vegas buffets, but it suits our needs and isn’t too pricey ($25 on weekends).

Another positive is the swimming pool. Although it's a pretty standard pool (i.e., no slides, lazy river) it doesn't get so crowded that you can barely move. During our stay in August we went to a nearby hotel to visit some friends and their swimming pool was a zoo. I was so glad to be able to return to the more serene surroundings at Agua.

They have pool parties on Friday nights from 8pm – 1am. (Not sure if this is just during the summer time.) We stayed on the 10th floor overlooking the pool and it was pretty loud. The front desk person did tell us about the party and the possible noise. We didn’t mind the noise since we go to be pretty late, so it wasn’t an issue for us. If you’re a light sleeper and go to bed early, then I highly recommend avoiding rooms on the pool side on Friday nights.

We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Isabellasmom
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Checked in at about 12 midnight on 8/24 and requested an extension for checkout until 12 noon the following day but was flatly denied by a front desk personnel named Sema or Selma. Can't understand the denial, when a friend staying at another room was just given an extension until 12noon. Explained that we just needed a little bit more time to get ready and pack, considering that we checked in very late. Paid $239 for the room for less than 12 hours and could have spent less for a much better treatment at other premier hotels in the area without the added aggravation. Sad first stay at the hotel. Just sent a letter to Robin Stone and Mark Averett of Agua.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank s g
Manhattan Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'll begin with the positive....having stayed here many times the pool and surrounding grounds are lovely. If you are lucky enough to get a room on a high level with balcony overlooking the pool and mountains the views are stunning. The lower level rooms on the pool side are just too noisy with music at the pool going all day.and with pool parties on the weekends during the summertime. The rooms on the non pool side have views of the parking garage and freeway. The Java coffee house has great coffee drinks and pastries but a word of caution the rooms no longer have any coffee makers in them so if you are a morning coffee person you will need to get dressed and head downstairs for that first cup of morning coffee. The negatives with our stay were numerous this time around....sad to say. Our confirmed Pure allergy free room with balcony must be requested by the high rollers because we were bumped and not able to get the room we had booked a month in advance for a special birthday weekend celebration. If you like to play the slots beware the non-smoking area has most of the machines turned off. You will most likely be playing in the smoking area. If that doesn't bother you'll have fun with a good assortment of games to play. We ate dinner in the Steak House one evening and had to wait patiently for about 20 minutes before anyone would seat us. The hostess just left her post...so after waiting and waiting I walked in and asked a server if he could seat us. No, we needed to wait for the hostess to return. The restaurant was nearly empty at 5:30 when we arrived. Dinner was good but the wrong wine was served to us.....we ordered an Cabernet but were served a nice chilled white wine. We just went ahead and drank it but not sure how that was misunderstood by the server. We've decided to give this resort a miss from now on and will head toward the San Diego area to stay and play. We have received much better service at other resorts/casinos. I did write the hotel about my experience but never head back from them...again not good customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank cdgillis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was skeptical to come here due to a prior visit to their other property in Palm Springs, which is god awful. Agua Was wonderful! Clean, fun, friendly... Everything the other propert wasn't! Only thing that could use some work is the pool atmosphere.... Maybe different music or a larger pool with lazy river.... Like Morongo :)

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Noahskultety
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We took a quick trip June 2012, never been to the desert so we chose this hotel based on location and amenities. I would recommend staying here, easy to get to from the airport. Valet parking was great unfortunately our car was black with black interior so always cool when they brought it up for us. If you call ahead 10-15 min. before leaving your room the car will be waiting for you. Staff was very helpful and always willing to point you in the right direction with a map in hand.

Rooms were clean, very modern and all around lovely. Sometimes the wait for the elevetor was a bit longer than expected. Restaurants we ate at were all good, only missed the coffee shop. Pool bar restaurant closed early so if you want to eat there check on the times. Pool staff was great always willing to help you with drinks to your chairs as well there was poolside service. For extra charge you can rent a cabana for the day, might be a good idea if you are planning a day at the pool it was very hot!! Keep your sandals on the pool deck heats up and stays hot even in the shade.

Casino area was fun, lots of 1 and 2 cent machines. Not like Vegas, no dice games or complimentary drinks in the state of California. They do have Craps and Roulette that they play with cards. If you book through Expedia they offer a coupon book so take advantage of it. Casino can be smokey at when busy, being a non smoker I find this drives me out of the casino when I just can't take it anymore.

Note, June is not a prime time and found some of the artivities, restaurants etc were downsized, shortened hours or closed. Would definitely recommend the Pacifico restaurant on El Paseo. We enjoyed the street fair in Palm Springs on the Thursday night. The Tram ride up the mountain was definitely worth the time. Be prepared to do a little hiking at the top, nice views of the valley. During this time of year we found the temperature to be very pleasant, no jackets required still very warm. We had been warned that there can be a significant change in temperature due to the elevation change, at the bottom it was 43C at the top 28C closer to our typical summer day so we found it very nice.

Palm Springs airport is very small, we had a 2 1/2 hour delay in our flights there isn't much to do or see. Starbucks and one Restaurant that we were lucky enough to get seats at the bar to wait out our time. It is quite small but staff was great. Dont go to early if you can get away with it or have a good book to pass the time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lovin2travelCalgary
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My hubby treated me to an 80 minute hot stone massage for my birthday. Yes, he is a great man! It was a wonderful treat. I could have floated home. Helped me feel a little better after having lost at the slots! Go early and allow time just to enjoy all the amenities -- sauna, tub and steam room. The attendants are just wonderful loving servants. It was such a great escape. Worth the $.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
4.5 of 5 stars 624 reviews

Been to Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa? Share your experiences!