New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa

Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Fantastic rooms, wonderful spa, friendly staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was skeptical to come here due to a prior visit to their other property in Palm Springs, which is god awful. Agua Was wonderful! Clean, fun, friendly... Everything the other propert wasn't! Only thing that could use some work is the pool atmosphere.... Maybe different music or a larger pool with lazy river.... Like Morongo :)

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Noahskultety

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We took a quick trip June 2012, never been to the desert so we chose this hotel based on location and amenities. I would recommend staying here, easy to get to from the airport. Valet parking was great unfortunately our car was black with black interior so always cool when they brought it up for us. If you call ahead 10-15 min. before leaving your room the car will be waiting for you. Staff was very helpful and always willing to point you in the right direction with a map in hand.

Rooms were clean, very modern and all around lovely. Sometimes the wait for the elevetor was a bit longer than expected. Restaurants we ate at were all good, only missed the coffee shop. Pool bar restaurant closed early so if you want to eat there check on the times. Pool staff was great always willing to help you with drinks to your chairs as well there was poolside service. For extra charge you can rent a cabana for the day, might be a good idea if you are planning a day at the pool it was very hot!! Keep your sandals on the pool deck heats up and stays hot even in the shade.

Casino area was fun, lots of 1 and 2 cent machines. Not like Vegas, no dice games or complimentary drinks in the state of California. They do have Craps and Roulette that they play with cards. If you book through Expedia they offer a coupon book so take advantage of it. Casino can be smokey at when busy, being a non smoker I find this drives me out of the casino when I just can't take it anymore.

Note, June is not a prime time and found some of the artivities, restaurants etc were downsized, shortened hours or closed. Would definitely recommend the Pacifico restaurant on El Paseo. We enjoyed the street fair in Palm Springs on the Thursday night. The Tram ride up the mountain was definitely worth the time. Be prepared to do a little hiking at the top, nice views of the valley. During this time of year we found the temperature to be very pleasant, no jackets required still very warm. We had been warned that there can be a significant change in temperature due to the elevation change, at the bottom it was 43C at the top 28C closer to our typical summer day so we found it very nice.

Palm Springs airport is very small, we had a 2 1/2 hour delay in our flights there isn't much to do or see. Starbucks and one Restaurant that we were lucky enough to get seats at the bar to wait out our time. It is quite small but staff was great. Dont go to early if you can get away with it or have a good book to pass the time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lovin2travelCalgary
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My hubby treated me to an 80 minute hot stone massage for my birthday. Yes, he is a great man! It was a wonderful treat. I could have floated home. Helped me feel a little better after having lost at the slots! Go early and allow time just to enjoy all the amenities -- sauna, tub and steam room. The attendants are just wonderful loving servants. It was such a great escape. Worth the $.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lorigori
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

We've stayed here eight times since they opened and loved every time. The facilities are very well maintained but the staff is the real stand out. Any concerns are addressed immediately with a smile. They love feedback and do everything to make your stay enjoyable. Plus, the prices are wonderful when you join their players club. An excellent stay for sure!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adele B
Templeton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Ok so where should I start? When I got to the hotel I pulled into valet and got no greeting for at least three to four minutes and then when the man saw us standing unloading our own suv he literally ran up to it and started taking stuff that wasn't supposed to get taken out so fast it was weird. When I told him that my jumper cable/emergency kit stayed in my suv he looked at me like I was an idiot. Was he really gonna take it to my room with my luggage? So that was strange. Then I had to wait in a check in line for over an hour because they only had two people working. Finally we got up to our room which was our only saving grace. The room was the best part of the whole trip!! Bath tub was great!!The next morning I was woke up by a horrible crashing/vibrating noise in which I thought was a major earthquake. It was jack hammering. I was on the eighth floor and could hear this like I was one floor away. I was never told about the remodel. A simple email prior to the trip would have been nice or maybe at check in they could have mentioned it. Nope nothing. So when we headed down to the pool which was nice, we stepped out of the elevator and there was the jack hammer. Iam not kidding you it was so loud it was ringing my ear drums and echoing though out the whole casino. Even the construction guys had ear plugs in. The best part was the actual cal-trans road blockers that they used to try and steer people around the huge remodel. The smell of them cutting tile and all the thinset was outragious. I was never offered a pair of ear plugs even after I asked. It was that bad. I typically don't complain it doesn't tke much to make this girl happy but really this was horrible. And to top it off it was my one vacation this year and thought it would have been enjoyable. I will never be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Amanda G
Mark A, Manager at Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Agua Caliente; whether it is spectacular or less than perfect, we always welcome guest feedback. First off, please allow us to apologize for the circumstances in valet and extended waiting time to check in; I can assure you that this is not typical for our resort. We strive to make every guest experience seamless and efficient; as it sounds, during the arrival process, we could have done better. In regard to the construction, we can definitely understand that staying at a property which is undergoing aesthetic and functional modifications takes away from the ambiance and tranquility of a resort. Being that we are approaching the end of these modifications, our guests may be happy to know that any significant noise is now over. The beauty, décor, and functionality of the property are now all much improved and ready for all future stays. We do welcome you back to see the property and I can honestly say that we believe your next experience would be one that will leave a great, lasting impression.
rochester, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Despite the remodel construction on the first floor where the casino is located, I had a great time.
I had gone to Rancho Mirage to surprise a friend for his birthday. Because my first visit to the casino the previous month was a little lucky, they hotel sent me coupons for two free nights! My room was facing the pool, and the view of the hills and desert in the distance was amazing! The bathtub was enormous, and there was a t.v. in the bathroom. I would've been happy to stay in the bath the whole time! The shower could fit four people in it as well. It was big! Room service was prompt and not overly expensive. The only qualm; there was no coffee pot or micro in the room. I
didn't mind, because everything else was fantastic. You can order coffee for the room, but there is a coffee stand right by the first floor elevators which had delicious brews for a great price! I ate at the buffet with my friends; It was good, but I prefer the deli, really. Their sandwiches and tacos were the bomb! The second day, the construction was a little annoying in the casino as they were using a jackhammer of sorts to remove floor tiles. I'm sure the remodel is done by now as this was two weeks ago. Overall, I really enjoyed it. The room was huge, big t.v., comfy beds, and again, the view...wow! I did not use the spa, and only went to the pool to look around. Many lounge chairs, small bungalow bars, private bungalows for snuggling(?) big pool, very nice! Oh, they are pet friendly, and I noticed a nice area for the dogs.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the pool and the hills. I stayed in a regular room and it was nice! I can imagine...