“Horrible Staff”

Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The hotel is ok. A nice tower with a sad casino. However, we had a bad incident with our car. The valet returned our car to us with a huge scratch down the entire side of the car. When we pointed it out he went inside his booth and came out with a paper claiming the scratch had been there all along. No date or time or description on the paper. He had obviously just written it. We asked for a manger. He came out and claimed he would investigate and get back to us. He pointed out cameras that film cars as they arrive and told us that the valets would point to large scratches or dent on a car to indicate the problem if they filled out a tag. We said "great, show us the video". He then said he would not share the video. He also said not even local law enforcement have that privilege as the casino is run by the "sovereign nation". We replied that we would be happy to deal with the tribal police force. He said there was no tribal police force. Obviously he simply did not want to show the video and I am not sure about the legality or truth of his various claims. In any case, the true issue is that if you have any sort of problem at the valet (or maybe elsewhere on the property) you can expect this treatment. For this reason alone I would avoid this business.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank ShinKoganei

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We have been going to Palm Springs for years. This is the first time we stayed at the Agua Caliente Resort (received a promotional offer from the paradise club, the casinos players card.). For the price we paid, I did not have high expectations. However, we were pleasently
surprised with the quality of the rooms and the hotel itself.
The room was very comfortable with a firm bed, flat screen tv, refrigerator, and ample seating ares. The bathroom had two sinks, a walk-in shower and a soaking tub. We found the room to be quieter than most hotels we have stayed in. I just retired from an upscale hotel chain and so I tend to be critical of places I stay. I found all the employees I came into contact with were very welcoming and if they were in a position to know my name, it was used in our conversations. I also tend to notice any deferred maintenance issues, but
I found all areas of the hotel in fine condition.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last week and were surprisingly impressed by it. The rooms are modern and sophisticated. I wanted to bring home the bed....it was SOOOO comfortable!! Also, this is one of the few hotels that we did not get the annoying "housekeeping knock on the door"on the day of departure. They were strict about the check out time, but that did not bother me. The casino was so-so...the dealers are not the friendliest, but overall, we were beyond satisfied with our stay. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Book thru Expedia
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Palawala_7
Reviewed April 17, 2011

The rooms are fine and ours had a nice view, but we had a major complaint with the way they run things here. The weekend we stayed there was a private party going on in the pool area. The area is surrounded by a fence, but the rest of the area outside of the fence has the spa, and chairs and benches for sitting. We didn't pay to go the party, and therefore they didn't even let us step outside the door all weekend. The first day, the security guards were set up so far in front of the doors that you couldn't even go to the gift shop or the bar across from it without getting hassled. They posted more security guards than there were party-goers, and if you could convince a security guard to let you sit outside for a smoke, they insisted on escorting you everywhere. This means that for the whole weekend, we couldn't enjoy what guests come to these places for: the pool, the beach chairs, the sun. The party didn't even seem to be popular. Other minor complaints are that there was a cigarette burn in our couch (non-smoking room), and they don't have coffee makers in the rooms, something I've come to take for granted even in a Motel 8. The rest of the experience was standard.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank theluxpats_com
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Highly recommend Aqua Caliente for a pampered resort experience if spending time anywhere in the Palm Springs area. We spend a Mon - Fri and absolutely loved it.

Our 11th floor room was BIG. Great King Bed, western pool view. We love nice big bathrooms and this hit the mark. Big deep tub (for two!) and huge walk in shower. Felt modern and CLEAN.

We loved the POOL! It is plenty big, laid out well. Good poolside service (although pool area "wetbar" was only open Friday).

We treated ourselves to a day of SPA... using the midweek $89 massage special. But you get all day access to the spa and it has a great STEAM room, SAUNA, outdoor jacuzzi, lounge. These are sex-separated but there is a coed lounge and outdoor pool. We spent the DAY there. Highly recommended

Although we do enjoy gambling.. we did NOT this trip. Mostly.. I find the weird rules at California casinos unpalatable. (No dice? No ball? Please...)... But the casino was nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I called for a reservation in April, next thing I notice is a bill from them for a stay in March. When I called they answered that 1) the room rate was not available for April and 2) forwared to a voicemailbox so I could leave my complaint.

Needless to say I am not a happy "customer"

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Just got back from two nights, my first trip here since they opened the hotel. The hotel itself is very nice -- the rooms are large and modern, with nice step-in showers and two flat screens (one in the bathroom). I stayed in room 1000 and then room 511. Why two rooms? Well, because at midnight on night two, I requested a room change due to the screaming (and I mean screaming) child in the room next to me. The screaming and crying and hysteria was so loud and prolonged (40 minutes?) that I had to call the front desk and tell them that I feared for the child's safety. Here's how you know you are in a good hotel... THEY ACTUALLY SENT SECURITY TO CHECK IT OUT! Now, how often does that happen? (It turns out the child "was not used to sleeping in a strange bed," according to one of the two adults who answered the door "and her mother is not here." (Later I figured out that there was one toddler, one infant and three adults staying in that room. For the life of me, I'm sorry but I will never understand why people take small children to a casino hotel that has absolutely nothing for the kids to do, especially when Palm Springs is 10 minutes away with probably a million more appropriate kid-friendly places to stay.)

Security demanded to physically see the child and check it out for themselves. Oh, bless them. Because really, all I want to make sure is, well, you get it. After security left, the screaming continued ("The lambs, Clarice...") so I called the front desk and said, "Okay, that's it, move me." Again, to the hotel's credit, I was moved in 15 minutes (to a lesser quality room, but still, I give them total props.)

Overall, beds are very comfy, towels are fluffy, water is $5 a bottle in your room, there is no minibar to speak of (unless you ask them to pre-stock it), and there is a RIDICULOUS resort fee (so if you are quoted a price for a room, remember, that DOES NOT include the resort fee or tax).

I ate in the coffee shop, the steak restaurant, the deli and also got room service. The food is just so-so, especially at the steak restaurant (where I was served probably the worst piece of prime rib ever, along with an inedible bread pudding dessert). The hot dog at the deli was good (but the deli itself was scary filthy). It took room service 45 minutes to deliver a bowl of cereal and hot chocolate, which came lukewarm in a styrofoam cup.

The pool looked nice, although no one was swimming. And the spa has a long list of services, but I didn't go there either since I had come mostly for the gambling. And here's where my major complaint occurs... How many casinos SHUT DOWN about one-third of their machines after Saturday night? How many? I have played in casinos all over the world and my answer would be: None.

Until I got to Agua Caliente, which as a common practice (that I did not know about until I saw it for myself), literally TURNS OFF ONE-THIRD OF ITS SLOT MACHINES AFTER SATURDAY NIGHT. One-third, people. Not like two or three machines down for maintenance. Noooo. This place literally just turns them alllllll off. And why? I could get absolutely no explanation that made sense. Here's what I was told from the many people I asked: "That's what we always do." "I don't know." "We shut them down during the week." (Okay, I pointed out, but this is a Sunday....) "We only have those machines working when we have a concert." What? What!

As a result, the slot players were all jammed into the other side of the casino with many fewer machines to play (and if you play slots, you know how much "fun" that is....)

I had also gone to the 29 Casino during this same trip (15 minutes down the road) and that casino was absolutely humming with people and fun and all machines were working, etc. Agua Caliente paled in comparison, so be warned.

So if you want a nice hotel with good service and okay food, but don't care about the casino action, this is your place. Otherwise, stay here and play somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
International Hotel & Suites
International Hotel & Suites
#15 of 23 in Palm Desert
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa? Share your experiences!