“A Wonderful Variety”
Review of Il Forno Classico

Il Forno Classico
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We specialize in fresh made Italian style dishes; Hand Tossed Pizzas, freshly sautéed pasta, fresh seafood-like salmon, halibut, scallops, and shrimp and fresh Angus beef.There is an exhibitionary kitchen in the main dining room, a full bar, a wine shop and private room as well as two outdoor patios.The wine list is a five time Wine Spectator Award Winning List. We feature over fifty wines by the glass; our specialty is west coast Cabernet sauvignon with over 200 selections. All wine is available to purchase to go at standard retail or less. In the restaurant the most it would cost is $14 over retail. The wine shop also doubles as a private dining room that can accommodate up to 30 sit down or 40 as a cocktail party.Two outdoor patios are in front of the restaurant for those who enjoy people watching.
Sacramento, California
“A Wonderful Variety”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I take exception to the reviewer who claims this restaurant is "not ITALIAN." He is from New Jersey where the food is Southern Italian/Sicilian. This is more Northern than Southern, but has a few excellent Southern Italian dishes.

The wine list is exceptional. It comes on an I-pad, so it's hard to know how many wines are on it. I'll just say lots and lots! Il Forno Classico is also a wine bar. It's a nice place to stop in for a glass of wine; they also have a full bar.

The bread is unlike any I've ever had, so I have to say it may not be truly Italian, but one bite and you won't care! It's hot and delicious and comes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping.

The pasta and pizzas are all excellent. I love their pesto sauce and especially their artichoke ravioli with chicken and lemon cream sauce. It is my favorite pasta dish ever, and you can get a half or full order of most pastas. The pizzas are thinnish crust, but not like the "cracker crust" you get in some restaurants. I like the Harry's Bar pizza best, with proscuitto, gorgonzola cheese, and sundried tomatoes. The Stromboli is also excellent with several kinds of meat.

I almost forget the salads: They have a wonderful variety in two sizes. One half-size is enough for two to split with dinner; a full-size makes an excellent entree. The service here is excellent, also. I've run out of room to review the appetizers and desserts.

This place is actually in Gold River in the Bel Air shopping Center. I highly recommend it for lunch or dinner!

• Visited January 2013

Henrico, North Carolina
“Ok. But from NJ and not great Italian”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The food was good and the waitstaff very nice. But I am from NJ and there are many great Italian places there. So it is hard to beat those places. I would eat there again if I am in the area. But it is not ITALIAN.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank rcrqtrmile
California
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The line at a nearby restaurant was much too long so I decided to try this place--and I am glad I did! The service, ambiance, and food were fantastic! I ordered the apple salad and a personal sized alfredo pollo pizza for lunch. They were delicious! I highly recommend this place and will definitely return.

• Visited July 2012
Sacramento, California
“Excellent Italian food”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We tried out this restaurant because we heard rave reviews about their bread. But what was really nice was that each menu item is available in tapa-style small plate or regular entree-size large plate sizes. So my husband and I got four different small plates to share, all of which were excellent. I was especially impressed that the wine list is contained on an iPad that the server left with us to browse through. The semi-separate wine bar and regular bar areas were quite busy when we arrived, even though we were on the early side for a weekend dinner and the dining room wasn't yet crowded. We will definitely be back!

• Visited July 2012
Irvine, California
“Great Italian”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Took a team of rowers here to carbo-load. Great food, nice menu, halves available for everything so you can mix or match, nice wine list, bar, everyone loved it, especially the fresh bread. Give it a try. Will not disappoint.

• Visited May 2012