“Hyatt Place hotel is not what I'd expect of a Hyatt”

Hyatt Place Sacramento/Rancho Cordova
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Rancho Cordova
Reviewed January 29, 2010

This is the first time I have stayed at a Hyatt Place, and if this is typical of this line, I would not stay in one again. I was given a room next to the elevator on the 2nd floor, although I had requested a high floor. They moved me down the hall to another room (202) which was smaller, and not as nice as the other room, but it was my only choice. However, I wanted to sleep and didn't want to listen to an elevator all night long. At 5:30 a.m. I was awakened by garbage trucks outside the window and people throwing boxes around. Not to speak of the constant hum of the generator outside the window all night long. Or the ant that marched across the sheets when I got into bed. Or the lack of amenities--just shampoo and conditioner. (When I asked about that I was told that was standard, along with two soaps. They gave me hand lotion at the front desk, but were out of shower caps.) The breakfast is very uninspired, and two of the mornings, the decaf coffee canister was empty. On the third morning, they didn't even bother to serve it. When I checked out, I found out that as a privilege of being a Gold Passport member, they would charge me $1/day for the Wall St Journal and that 800 calls were $1/each. It was just a very disappointing stay, and not what I expected from the Hyatt brand.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Ontheroadagain016

Reviewed January 28, 2010

I was extremely pleased with this hotel. It was clean, nicely decorated and perfect for the business traveler looking for free wifi! I am on a 3 week business trip and I am very particular about cleanliness, safety and comfort. This Hyatt Place is just perfect. The area around this hotel is nothing to write home about, but it's not far from restaurants, shopping, etc. I'd recommend this place and would stay here again if I'm ever in the area.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2009

This hotel was absolutely wonderful! The room was beautifully designed. It felt as though you had two rooms in stead of one, because of the separate sitting area with a huge sofa! It looked like you could also connect your playstation to the TV. How great is that! The service was great. They had a reasonably-priced snack bar (salads, nachos, chili, pastries etc.) at the lobby, and they even had some options for a vegetarian. Free wifi, free breakfast, free parking! The area is not that interesting, but it is convenient, and there are some stores, such as Walmart, less than a mile away. It's located right next to a few other hotels. All in all, a great, modern, clean hotel and wonderful service!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We reserved a block of rooms for all of our out of town family and friends for our son's wedding. The Hyatt Place was so wonderful to them all. The rooms are huge and very nice. If there were any problems someone came to fix it before they hung up the phone. The breakfast was delicious and served daily. I was so impressed with their service and attention to my guests. I thank them all.

Arlene & Bob Segal

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank lOVE2MAHJ
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here after a long road trip from Disneyland with three kids from 4 years to 13 years and found this hotel to be conveniently located, a great value, and a great place to stay. The room was well appointed with very comfortable beds, great TV set up (that impressed my techie husband with a connection for every computer, Ipod, Iphone, etc that we had) and a great breakfast included in the stay. We booked the room directly with the hotel and I feel it was BEYOND a great bargain for the money. A great place to rest and relax for the night before we got back on the road.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank HernandezFive
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed for four nights at the Hyatt Place while attending a wedding and family reunion in Sacramento. The hotel was conveniently located in Rancho Cordova, about two blocks off Highway 50 at the Zinfandel exit.

The hotel is 6 stories, with indoor corridors and a very nice lobby area. The decor is somewhat modern, and gives the hotel a personality of its own. We were greeted right away at the reception desk, which has a more casual feel than most. Check-in was quick, and the clerk was very friendly and helpful.

The room itself (620) was on the top floor, and it was huge. There's a sitting area just inside the door, with a big L-shaped couch, a work area, and a wet bar with refrigerator and single-serving coffee pot (with very good coffee). A partial wall separated the sitting area from the beds (2 queens) which was nice. The beds were comfortable and soft, with a nice comforter. There was a huge flat-screen TV, with a bunch of video inputs on the wall that seemed to be for a computer or for video games (we didn't use them). The room also had free high-speed wireless Internet.

There wasn't much of a view, and the window didn't open, but we kept the curtains closed against the 100-degree heat anyway. There is a wall air conditioner/heater, which was a little noisy but typical of most hotels.

The tub and toilet are in a separate room, with the vanity outside. There was an expansive granite counter, three different mirrors, all big, and a nice big vanity sink. The closet was small and a little awkward, but adequate. Overall, the room was well-lit and comfortable, with the same modern feel as the lobby. There was absolutely no noise from outside, and very little sound from the corridor either.

The free breakfast has coffee, juice, cereal, toast, fruit, yogurt, and oatmeal. It was generally fresh, tasty, and well maintained, and provided a nice start to the day. You can also order hot breakfasts from their kitchen for an extra charge, but we never did try any of them. There is also a selection of pastries, drinks, salads, and other foods in the lobby.

The hotel is showing a little wear and tear in some areas. Also, as seems to be typical of almost every hotel these days, the housekeeping was marginal. One day they didn't even leave fresh soap, which we needed. It seems to be limited to a quick vacuuming and new towels, and that's about it.

The only other drawback is kind of an odd lack of the normal items you would find in a hotel room. For example, there were two phones but no phone book. There were none of the normal stationary or guest-services binders and pamphlets you would usually find. Minor things, but that and the lack of good housekeeping kept this at a rating of 4 instead of 5.

But still, a very nice hotel with excellent service (other than housekeeping), a huge, quiet room, very pleasant surroundings, and a nice continental breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2009

We booked this place on the way to Tahoe. Everything was absolutely wonderful about staying here. The hotel is small so we were able to park almost next to our room. The room had plenty of space for the 4 of us. There was 2 double beds on one side and a separate sitting area on the other. The flat screen TV was huge. My kids brought their wii and hooked it up to the TV. The bathroom door was a little bit large, only thing odd about the room. The breakfast in the morning was great. There was enough variety for everyone. Would love to stay here again if given the chance.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Cordova
Sacramento Marriott Rancho Cordova
Courtyard Sacramento Rancho Cordova
Courtyard Sacramento Rancho Cord...
#9 of 17 in Rancho Cordova
Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville
Best Western Plus Rancho Cordova Inn
Residence Inn Sacramento Rancho Cordova
Hampton Inn Sacramento/Rancho Cordova

Been to Hyatt Place Sacramento/Rancho Cordova? Share your experiences!