“Not Safe or Comfortable”

Residence Inn Sacramento Rancho Cordova
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Rancho Cordova
NM
“Not Safe or Comfortable”
Reviewed January 25, 2007

Complement first: Front desk clerk Andre was very accomodating
during my stay.
Now the bad news: I checked out of this hotel after only about a week and a half of this planned 2-month stay for several reasons:
1. Most importantly, as a woman travelling alone, I did not feel safe there. There was a disabled/abandoned car in the back parking lot. The morning after I checked in, my coworker who had stayed there last fall, told me that she had seen the homeless person who lives in that car several times. She was also aggressively panhandled in the back parking lot. She also checked out because of feeling unsafe. I talked to Andre about the problem and he wrote it down in a book that clearly nobody reads or acts upon. I asked if there was hotel security, and he didn't have much of an answer - only that the doors are locked late at night. Nobody ever followed up with me about it. 10 days later, the dead car was still in the back parking lot. Also, when I returned to my room on the 23rd, the door was not latched closed, probably by housekeeping. Anybody could have walked in and wiped out my room's contents, and of course, the hotel takes no responsibility for thefts. I told Andre about this problem as well.
2. When I checked in, every GFI in the kitchen and vanity was tripped so nothing worked when I tried to use those outlets. The microwave turntable did not turn. Maintenance was able to replace the microwave the next day -- my one successful request for help.
3. My fireplace was non-functioning. Repeated requests for maintenance went undone.
4. Lack of drawers in the vanity, only cabinets without shelves. I had to keep all my cosmetics and makeup on the counter top to get dusty and rearranged by the housekeeper almost every day. Not very convenient.
5. I had to play hide and seek with the trash cans every day. Despite repeated requests to have housekeeping leave them where I put them, they were hidden every day.
6. Lack of HBO on the TV. Showtime is an unacceptable substitute.
7. Lack of replacement of laundry bags and dry cleaning slips when they were used up.
8. High cost of using self-service washer and dryer - I typically stay in Res Inns 150 - 250 nights a year and the only time I've payed $1.50 per load is when soap was included with the washer.
To summarize, this hotel was unacceptable as a place to stay long term.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank PatCos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Colton, California
Reviewed August 25, 2005

My husband, 3 year old, and 1 year old stayed in a 1 king suite. We were in the separate bedroom, our 3 year in the pull out sofa, and the 1 year in the hotel crib. I had requested, reserved, and called to confirm that the crib would be in the room, and the sofabed ready when we arrived at 2am. They were not. It took an hour to get the bed ready and have the crib ready, then another hour making the 2 kids go to sleep. The worst part of the night was rearranging all the kitchen/living room furniture. If you opened the sofabed, the corner hit the kitchen table! I had to move the coffee table and chair to block the exit door so the crib would fit by the sliding glass, because it wouldn't fit on the same side as the kitchen table that had been moved for the sofabed!

Amenities (soaps, microwave popcorn, etc) were nice. Shower was nice. Everything was clean. Breakfast was good and hot if you could get some. The arrangement and aisle is so small and crowded that you had to go single file around the table. There was only one person stocking the food and also cleaning the dining area, so everything constantly ran out or piled up.

When we first arrived, the overnight staff member had taken off his business jacket, untucked his dress shirt so it hung loose, and was having a casual conversation with a guest. Despite everything being clearly written in my reservation file in his computer, he couldn't confirm anything. He said that my sofabed "should be" ready and the crib should be there - otherwise call for the crib and he'd bring it...which he did do promptly.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank serenaviolet
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2005

This was the first time we'd stayed at a Residence Inn. It definitely won't be the last. The amenities were as promised. In addition to a hot breakfast buffet, this property provides a social hour Monday through Thursday. Very convenient. I also liked the room layout. In the bedroom, someone pasted up glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling! Surprise! I don't know if they do that in every bedroom at every Residence Inn. We've never seen that before. But what really mattered the most to us was how the staff responded when things went wrong. Early into our vacation, our son came down with a very nasty stomach virus. Two days later, my husband got it, too. As a result, we ended up staying two days later than we intended. Through it all, the staff was most compassionate. No matter what the time of the day or night, they responded immediately with whatever we needed. The entire staff was this way, from the Victoria, the manager, to everyone who worked the night desk and the housekeeping personnel. Life happens sometimes, even on vacation. The staff at the Residence Inn helped make an uncomfortable situation more bearable.

Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 14, 2005

Definitely below par as far as Residence Inn's go. Rooms are on the smaller side and look a bit worn but not horrible. Breakfast was absolutely terrible though-- there was no hot food on the line any of the three days I was there as all the bins were empty. At no time did I see them filled in the 15 minutes each day I was in the lounge eating. Two of the days there were no plates until someone asked nor were there napkins. By the third morning, I thought of going somewhere else for breakfast but toughed it out with a bowl of cereal (again) and an apple.

One thing to note: at check-in, someone coded my room key for a day earlier than I was staying so when I came back from work the second day and parked in the back in 110 degree heat, I couldn't get inside. I had to walk all the way around the building and get them to recode my key. No apology or anything, just took it, asked what room I was in and recoded it. I think the scariest part was that he didn't ask my name or anything, just recoded the key based on the room I said I was in.

Overall, I've stayed in worse places but won't be back at this property if I return to the area. The full service Marriott up on Sunrise Blvd is a nicer property so spring for that and I promise you'll be happier!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank ski2dude
Reviewed June 1, 2005

We stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend and were very happy. Fortunately, I booked it many weeks in advance as the Jazz Festival was that weekend and most hotels were booked up. This hotel was also booked to capacity but we did not notice any strain on the staff. It was a bit crowded at breakfast time as there were a few volleyball teams and little leaguers there.

What we liked was the price (only $80 a night and the breakfast alone is probably worth $40 for a family of four) and the location. We were right by the American River which allowed early morning fishing and also I could pop over to ride my bike along the beautiful trail.

Also, we were close to Folsom which has a fun, *old town* section with some nice restaurants.

Nice staff, quiet accommodations (you can hear some traffic noise from the freeway if you open your window for fresh air), two tvs in each room. A little worn (the fold out bed was had a broken spring), could use a little cleanup, but for the price, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank Barbara45
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 15, 2004

We decided to take a quick trip to Sacramento with the family and found the best hotel ever. We got a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen, two tv's, INDOOR POOL, jazzuzi, excellant breakfast and a very pleasant staff. The room had a sofa bed that my boys slept on and best of all there was a door dividing the queen bed from the sofa so we actully had our own room. They provided popcorn for the in-room microwave which the kids loved and we ordered pizza to the room so it was like a family slumber party for us. In the morning we decided to check out the breakfast and we were pleasantly surprised to find sausage, eggs, toast, bagels, cereal, juice, coffe, oatmeal, yogurt and even a make-your-own waffle station. Best of all the room was $79.99 which was the same price we found the other hotels in the area asking for but we got so much more for our money. We will stay time and time again whenever we stay in Sac.

• Stayed November 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2004

Clean nice suites. Maybe getting a little long in the tooth. I wouldn't want to stay on the side of the hotel that face the freeway - but our room was quiet. The pool is indoors and the breakfast was OK. I have stayed in a lot of these business orientated suite hotels and this was one was OK. I would probably stay here again.

1 Thank heymossy