“Remember-it's a lobster place!”

Rudy's Hideaway Lobster House & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Rudy's Hideaway Lobster House & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hazel @ US 50
Transit: Light rail stop is located one block away.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Having beeen in Maine last year, and reading about another year of record harvest we thought we would do the Thursday night lobster special. Rudy's is an old school lobster place. Once you are inside you could be in Atlantic City, NJ for all you know. We began with a well made martini and a bottle of local sauvignon blanc (Boeger) and the calamari. The calamari is strips of squid, no tenacles, the cocktal sauce could use a kick. I've had better. The one pound lobster was great, served with clarified butter. We chose coleslaw instead of carbs and it was delicious. I have been told by others, order lobster and you can't go wrong. They were right. and go when it's on special- a real bargain. Chocolate mousse, the old fashioned creamy style, very good. Our server, Brandi, was a delight!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Greeting and order taking: Took order in reasonable amount of time.
Food preparation time: Reasonable.
Food quality and taste: Very good
Service overall: Very good. Very friendly and helpful staff.
Portions: Decent size. May have some to take home.
Time of day: Went for dinner.
Prices: Good
Customers: Mostly older local people the time I visited.
Location: For someone on business trip, not very familiar with the area
it seemed to be in low-rent area.
Ambiance: Seemed dated, and bit dingy. Reminded me of the local seafood places in Maine and New England. Not much on decor, but good food, Owner should spend some money on sprucing up the place.

I liked food and service. People I was with did not like their food, and did not want to ever go back.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This Place is Older but has Great Charm. My Parents use to love to eat here when I was very small. Now in my 50's I had a chance to introduce this Restaurant to my Friends. We had Ronnie as our waiter and he was so Pleasant. We had the Lobster and Prime Rib. Cozy inside / Older Outside. Nice Dining space and Our dinner was so Nice and Tasty we will be back again and again. Thank You.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I came to Rudy's Hideaway for the Monday Night lobster special. Well, she ordered the 5-oz lobster tail dinner ($17.95) but I switched and ordered the Alaskan King Crab entree ($31.95) from the regular menu. We both enjoyed our meal. The Alaskan King Crab was a VERY generous portion and perfectly prepared. Our friendly server, Cheryl, was attentive and made sure we were happy with our dinners. The 42-year old restaurant has an old school ambiance. I particularly liked the spacious booths -- nice to be able to relax without your body squished between the table and the padded bench seats. We were driving a long distance, so no drinks from the bar. The bar crowd seemed to be a very happy bunch. We plan to return to Rudy's to enjoy the Thursday Night special -- a one-pound Maine lobster for $17.95. "Traveling the world one meal at a time..."

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went because we had a gift card. Located in Rancho Cordova, Rudy's is old school, catering to a generally older, unpretentious crowd. I enjoyed the prawn cocktail that consisted of five jumbo prawns served with a piquant cocktail sauce. Salad or soup is included with entrees. My salad was drenched with ranch dressing, to a fault. The lobster bisque had a a lot of lobster, but was too thick and creamy for my taste. Lobster is their specialty, and they serve up tasty 1.25 pound live Maine lobsters with the expected lemon wedges and drawn butter. My wife went for the prime rib which was a generous 20 ounce serving that was thick, juicy, and prepared medium rare as ordered. The wine list was weak and unimpressive. The mud pie dessert was served already melting. Service was OK, although the server came back to our table after taking our order, to say he was unable to read his own writing, and I had to tell him again, yes, I did order the lobster. Also, he inadvertently left the prawn cocktail off the bill, and I had to remind him to include it. Maybe he was just tired, but it was a little strange. Even if we didn't have the gift card, we thought prices were reasonable.