“Good food, good atmosphere.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sunrise Blvd
Transit: Sunrise Blvd. Light Rail
Rancho Cordova, California
“Good food, good atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

A little pricey but you get what you pay for and there is a good sized menu. Very friendly wait staff.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Rog G

“It is now FIRE ROCK Grill & you must try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

This is now Fire Rock Bar & Grill; under new ownership, however the former owners are being jerks about getting this info changed on social media! The website link will take you to an art framing site which is an irrelevant business of the former owners'. Frustrating.. Anyhow, Fire Rock is great with a fantastic happy hour that goes from 3-7pm on Mon-Sat. I have not yet tried their dinner menu but hear that it is delicious as well! Give them a try :) The friendly owners greeted each guest and the staff is wonderful. Relaxing ambiance. We had a superb experience at FIRE ROCK, not Sheepherders!!

5 Thank chickenalaqueen
Columbia, SC
“Excellent Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

The restaurant was nice. The place was a nice size. The food was great too. You get great portions. The service was excellent

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Natalie O
“Room for Improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I usually don't  write restaurant reviews but I felt this one was necessary.
The front end of the facility has been extensively remodeled from years past. Upon entering it felt like a doctors office - I started to reach for my Kaiser card. We were 10 minutes late for our reservation and the hostess promptly said so and she would seat waiting people ahead of us. It didn't bother us that others were seated but did she did have to tell us we were late and there were consequences?
When we were called the hostess lead us thru a small empty dining area that looked like a cheep dinner. We were seated at the rear of the main dinning room next to some strangely gold transparent string curtain. Thru the curtain was some type of banquet or meeting room with 8 foot white folding plastic tables from Costco - very tacky. Some staff people were taking breaks in this area.
Water and bread was served promptly and our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable. Wine is over priced. Average cost of a glass of wine was $10 -  comparable to the posh San Francisco Fairmont  which includes a bowl of fancy nuts.
I ordered the lamb shank which was fall off the bone tender and was good but not great. My wife ordered their "Famous Prime Rib". The meat was tough and had little taste. We both enjoyed the garlic mash potatoes.
We really want to see this restaurant succeed, but we believe some Issues need to be addressed.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank Tom B
Sacramento, California
“Lots of potential, but room for easy improvement.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I haven't been here since way back when most of the courses were "all you can eat". The remodel is very nice, and uses a lot of cloth. The result is a much quieter place than before. Its a very attractive venue. I was there for Thanksgiving Dinner about 4pm, with my adult daughter. Overall the food was delicious, and I tend to be very picky. The roasted red potatoes were a little salty but still tasted OK. I ordered a "rusty nail" from the bar. It wasn't quite right, but they adjusted the Drambuie level for me. My stuffed salmon, and her mushroom ravioli were both very enjoyable, but a little pricey all things considered.

The service presented a few "opportunities" right from the beginning, when the hostess sprinted to our table, leaving me about 30 feet behind. I felt rushed during the whole meal. Most servers were nearly running between tables, and there was no time gap between the salad and the entree. Our server was very pleasant, but made several mistakes, and it didn't seem like things were that busy. She took my fork with the salad, and left me with the main course and no utensils for several minutes. I'm sorry, but a good restaurant doesn't set the table with only one fork ! We had to remind her of the wine my daughter ordered. I think Sheepherders has a lot of potential, but a lot of room for easy improvement. They need a better appreciation that dining out is more than just eating grub, its about a pleasant and leisurely social experience.

An 18% gratuity was included in the bill. That was a disappointment, particularly for a party of two. It was worse in this case, since at this level of service I would normally have tipped 10%, and with excellent service about 25%. Including the tip takes away the incentive to deliver great service, and that may have been what happened for this meal.

• Visited November 2013