“Yum”

Transit: Sunrise Blvd. Light Rail
sacramento
“Yum”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Was there recently and had the mushroom ravioli for lunch. It was so good, I just about licked the bowl! Our server was wonderful. Very nice restaurant.

• Visited October 2012

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A very happy birthday meal!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

On reading other reviews of the Sheepherder most of them have valid points. We ate there last Wednesday night and quite frankly it could have been a very unpleasant evening. Firstly, the hostess, Kristy (?), was friendly and helpful. After we were seated, she told us our server would be with us shortly. We sat and waited, another table of people were seated behind us and the server went straight to them. When we next saw Kristy, we told her that the server still hadn't been to our table she apologised and after a few moments, our server appeared. Not sure if it was the original server or another had been assigned to our table. Anyway, Darvey was a gem. She was bright, bubbly, knowledgeable and helpful. We would absolutely demand (lol) to be seated at her station when we go back.

The menu has so many wonderful items from which to choose, it was so difficult to make a decision. We both had the clam chowder for starters. I really enjoyed it, hubby was not as happy, mainly because it wasn't "standard" clam chowder. Obviously the chef puts his/her own special touch to it. Anyway, it was good.

For main course, I had the salmon-wrapped scallops on a rice pilaf. Darvey told me this was a very good choice and she was not incorrect. Heaven on a plate. I was a little disappointed to only see three of these delights on the plate when it arrived, but it was enough. They are, as you can imagine, a little rich but thoroughly delicious. The pilaf was also just enough. I added a glass of a Napa Valley merlot. Terrific!

My husband had the prime rib. Cooked to his liking, he said it was perfection. The dish came with au jus and horseradish on the side as well as mashed potatoes. It was a very large meal and he couldn't finish it.

Lastly, we shared a sundae. Very good!

So, what started as one of those "oh no, crummy service again" situations turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Darvey even joined my husband in singing 'happy birthday' to me when presented with my dessert. I cannot say enough good things about Darvey, I hope they hang on to her.

The ambience of the place was also pleasant. Considering there was a very large group seated right next to us, we could still hear each other. The bar was also nearby but bar noise was at a minimum (except for one very loudmouth showing off to the female servers).

We will go back.

• Visited August 2012
Chico, California, United States
“Service does not live up to the ambience or offerings”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. It is close to my hotel, to work and the ambience is cool. The food is very tasty. I will give them that. What is lacking is a welcoming staff and prompt service or really any level of attention to their customers at all. If you don't have reservations you are treated brusquely, with no wait time provided. I have tried this place five or more times. Each time when we were seated, the drinks didn't even come until just before the meal (which can take up to 45 minutes and we are talking burgers and salads that were ordered). The wait staff never checked back to refill drinks or make sure we had what we needed. Truly, if the management worked with staff to smile and greet those coming in, give an estimated time the party could be seated, take a drink order promptly and deliver it shortly thereafter and check back, happily, during the dining experience this would be an entirely different review. For the prices, not worth the lack of attention. I get more attention at busy diners than at this establishment. Work on customer service!

• Visited July 2012
Great Bend, Kansas
“Nice setting”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We really liked the menu selection and the service was very prompt!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank AmericanEagle02
New Auburn, WI
“Superb food”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Excellent food and atmosphere. The sheepherder's pie was perfect. Service was quick and efficient.

We took out our Aussie business companion here because he said he wanted a lamb shake. "Wow, lamb shake...these guys really love lamb," we thought. After being seated in the cavernous main room of the restaurant, we ordered and realized that he wanted a lamb shank. (Which was massive...picture an entire leg of lamb....and good, he said.)

• Visited March 2012