All reviews washer and dryer an hour wildcat canyon tennis courts the kitchen san diego electric grill santa ysabel horseback riding beautiful area apple pie beautiful flowers replace towels shuffle board lots of hiking trails laundry basket golf course
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Our family (around 40) meets on odd years for Christmas and this year we moved it from my brothers house to SD Country Estates. I am the main coordinator and worked closely with Therese on the rooms and Joyce on renting the rotunda for our meals. Both of these ladies went above and beyond for our group. I cannot say enough about how pleasant and professional they were and as a result our Christmas event while still fraught with problems came off.

Our 2 bedroom condos were amazing especially when you consider that they cost less than what two hotel rooms would have. The furniture and amenities were on the new side and the rooms themselves very clean. Most important were the beds were so comfortable I had no trouble sleeping.

The Ramona area is beautiful...yes, out of the way and it's a pain having to drive 15 minutes each time you need something from the store, but oh my how beautiful the stars at night. The resort itself offers so much to do I will definitely consider coming back again to enjoy it. If I were to be visiting the San Diego area for an extended amount of time I would like this place to be my home base even though it takes about 30 minutes to get out of it. The tennis courts and club area are another added plus.

Our first night we had dinner at The Grill which is located at the golf course area. The food was very good and the service even better. Our server (Stephanie) remembered more than a few of our names by the end of the meal and stayed calm and collected even though she alone was serving our very large group.

Our next 2 nights we had our meals at the rotunda which is located at the Equestrian Center. It was a nice spot for our meals as the kids could run around without us worrying about them. It fit us all comfortably and they let us bring in a Christmas tree which we decorated Christmas Eve. I will say that we'll do things differently next time as it was way to hard having to drive back and forth each time you remembered something you forgot food, pot or utensil wise.

In recap: Whether you are planning a family reunion, a family vacation, or a quiet get away for yourself I would highly recommend SD Country Estates.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2011

When we initially checked into our 1 bedroom "condo" it was a bottom floor and it had NO view and was down below a hill... it was dark and cave-like... I was extremely disappointed. I called the front desk and they told me it was all they had. I said that was unacceptable. They offered us a 2 bdrm for $50 more per night. There were only 2 of us... this was more than we needed and we did not want to pay and additional $100 when all we wanted was a room with a little sunlight and a bit of a view. (Mind you, I ASKED the gal at the counter when we check in and she said it would be fine... it wasn't.)

We told them we were going to leave to get something to eat and would be back... we gave them our cell numbers and said to call if they found something. While we were eating (at the Oaks Grill), they called. They found a 1 bdrm on the 2nd (top) floor, with a view! We were DELIGHTED!
This room was light and bright... it felt like we were in a tree house. The places are decently decorated, clean and comfortable. They get 2 thumbs up for solving our problem!!!

There are a ZILLION tennis courts (only a couple lighted) so if tennis is your think you will be delighted!
There is no restaurant on property.
The pool is small but clean.
The clubhouse has a LOT of activities.
(Kind of out of the way to have to check in to club house to get a key to go to pool and then trudge back up the stairs to return the key at the end.)
I called about horseback riding, they never called me back. They only had 1 hour rides - with helmets. We were MUCH happier with our horseback ride up in Julian!

We would stay at this place again if we knew we could get a great 2nd story room with a view!

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor with a view! (Avoid 1st floor)
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mazmom
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Words cannot describe San Diego Country Estates. We were throughly impressed with everything during our stay. I have to admit when you're driving to the Estate you tend to wonder if you have driven off the correct path. But once you get there, it is well worth the drive time. Our room was spacious and furnished with everything you could possibly need; right down to a ipod charger for our teenagers. Each bedroom was like a total suite. The website pictures of the pool and tennis courts does not do it justice. We would totally recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank almast
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Off the beaten trail the location disappointed me at first. But the seculsion combined with lots of recreationl activities couldn't have been better to re-connect with our teenagers. The room was clean and well decorated', the beds comfortable. Took a nice day trip to the town of Julian where we ate some of their famous apple pie and visit to the gold mine. The only drawback about this place is that the front desk closes early for checkout/use of recreation facillies and checkout of movies. No restaurants nearby. Barona casino nearby..

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2009

We stayed one week in a two bdrm. two bath condo. It was huge, and the sofa pulled out into a bed as well. Fully equipped timeshare property. It is a great value for the So. Cal. area. Very clean, well equipped kitchen, great for traveling with kids that are always hungry! Beautiful grounds and area, extremely quiet. Just stop in at Albertson's on Main St. to stock up on groceries, etc. then head up about 15 minutes to the place. If you like the hustle and bustle of the big city, this is not the place, but if you don't mind a pleasant drive of about 35 minutes all is at your fingertips! I enjoyed the city but was happy to trek up the hill and have a peaceful cup of coffee in the morning on the patio. Just be careful at night, after you leave the city lights it is very dark on the way back! If you are tired you must be careful, not really a hassle driving back if you think about it, in the city it is no big deal to drive 30/40 to attractions, hotels, beaches, other beach towns etc.

Daily maid service was a surprise, most timeshares are once or twice weekly only. Full size washer/dryer another plus when travelling with kids, and no ton of dirty laundry when you get home. Over all it was a very nice stay, all employees and helpful, it is very clean and the grounds are well maintained. It isn't the Ritz, but it works for families and relaxation. I would go back!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family