“Fabulous Food, Great Service”

Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Ranked #9 of 126 Restaurants in Poway
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fabulous Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is the third Filippi's location that we have visited over the past couple of years. We were not disappointed. We originally went to the Kearny Mesa restaurant. Upon arrival we were surprised to see it is undergoing renovations. We went to the Poway location, which was an approximate 20 minute drive north.
The decor is much like the Little Italy location; the food is just as good. The service at this location is great! The portions are HUGE! No LIE! My husband and I are big eaters. We ordered a large pizza and spaghetti and meatball dinner. We ordered intending to take what was left for lunch the next day at the hotel. Well, the amount of food fed us for 2.5 additional meals! The pizza dough is so tasty, the best we have ever had. The minestrone soup reminded me of the homemade soup my grandma would make when I was young.
Every time we come to San Diego for vacation we make a point to go and eat at Filippi's. It's always a high point on our trip.
We actually like the other locations better than the Little Italy location for the simple fact that there isn't a line a mile long to get in. The parking is much easier at the other locations because they are stand alone restaurants. But we love the atmosphere and the deli that the Little Italy location has.
All in all a great experience, once again!

• Visited May 2013

Poway, CA
“The ONLY pizza I'm willing to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm not like most, in that I don't love, or even generally like pizza. For me, pizza once a year or less is fine. That doesn't apply here though... These folks make a pizza I actually look forward to! Their vinaigrette Italian dressing is also THE gold standard, so good I've been known just to go in to buy the dressing and nothing else. While I'm reviewing the Poway store, their other stores, particularly the one in Little Italy, should not be missed if those are more convenient.

Visited March 2013
Fremont, Ohio
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We both had spaghetti and it was great. The bread was excellent and warm from the oven. Our waiter ,David, was really nice and on top of things. I'd recommend this place to anyone.

Visited May 2013
Victorville, California
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Not much to say except, the service was great, the food was outstanding, and by my standards "would you go back" the answer is "You Bet I Would". Serving sizes are very large, so be careful not to order too much food. This restaurant is one of the most pleasant places to eat in Poway.

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Meatballs!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We come here for the tacky ambiance, friendly local culture and the meatballs.

They are always moist and the size of baseballs - just like Momma used to make.

Visited December 2012

Been to Filippi's Pizza Grotto? Share your experiences!