“The smell was horrible - WOULD NOT stay there again”
Review of Ramada Poway

Ramada Poway
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Poway
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I am no hotel snob, as long as it smells clean I would stay or sleep in a hotel, but the rooms all smelled like dog pee, carpets were so dirty, our socks were dirty just by walking on them. Trust me, for $70 a night, not worth it, more like $20 a night I might stay there again, but not for the price we paid - we could have found something much nicer with that rate. To hide things they just paint over everything including stairs, real ghetto! The people staying in the other rooms were scary too. Trust me - you would not want to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 20, 2011

We have stayed at this Ramada Express in Poway, CA about 10 times when we visit family in San Diego. The price is reasonable especially since it also includes a decent selection of items at the continental breakfast. The location is convenient for us for gas, restaurants (a shout out to nearby Lienzo Charro), stores, and freeway access. It has a pool near the entrance which looks clean and inviting, but we haven't used it since we're basically there to sleep and eat breakfast then be gone for the day. Important to us is that beds are comfortable and there is a TV with limited cable stations (used to have more channel selections, but still have various choices.) The front desk staff is awesome--friendly and accomodating! The cleaning ladies are pleasant and it's so nice to return to a neat/clean room with fresh towels daily. My only complaint this trip was that the carpeting was dirty...not that it wasn't vacummed just that it was ground in dirt that needed shampooing. The manager said they were going to be doing some remodeling and that carpets would be replaced. Hope to see that it's spruced up a little next summer when we will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2011

shopping and resturants accross the street; hotel close to freeway. fridge, microwave in each room, good breakfast, small store within hotel, helpful staff

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Eggs and bacon don't exist, and other foods are in limited quantity. Waffles you cook yourself taste ok, if you can stir together the separated, milky-oily batter with a plastic spoon. Else we had packets of instant oatmeal, cold cereal, yogurt, 6 bananas, 7 oranges, old apples, breads/pastries and juices for our entire girls' volleyball team and parents. Promised eggs and bacon by 6:00am to make competition by 7:00am. Never happened. As team chaperon, it was embarrassing explaining to coaches and parents at 6:00am why Ramada's manager wouldn't provide what was promised. Got girls to match, then went and bought healthy food on my own dime. Never go back here. Ramada Manager - clean beds don't make a hotel. Customers do.... keep your commitments to your customers.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Everything was horrible from the start. We got there at our check in time and our room was not ready also we had to wait 20mins to find this out. When we finally got into our room (1 hour later) the place had a weird odor and the carpet was black from never being cleaned properly. We asked for a non-smoking room but this room had clearly been smoked in due to the evidence of the smell and cigarette burns on the carpet and bed. The sheets were paper thin and scratchy as hell, the towels weren't any better. Had to ask for towel replacements right away due to them being dirty. The walls are paper thin and of course as mentioned before by another reviewer the good ol' domestic disturbance and the cops showing up. I stayed here with my wife and 1 1/2 year old son and we refused to let him walk or play on the floor because it was so disgusting. I will never be going back to this place ever again and will not even recommend this place to my worse enemy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank wicked1shot
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Old, but very clean room, much better than average superior continental breakfast. Front desk staff all very friendly and helpful. Stayed there in past and was disappointed, especially with front desk, but new management now and they are great. Spoke to others who were frequent repeat business.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Ugh where to start. I came to this hotel to get some serious studying done for a big exam I had coming up. The first room (which ended up being better than the second room) I was placed in was facing Poway Rd. and was extremely noisy. The walls had smudges all over the place, I even wiped some crusty stuff off the wall in the bathroom. There were some spots on the carpet that weren't stains - I could tell it was food remnants that hadn't been properly cleaned. There were visible dark (blood?) stains on the mattress pad that showed through the threadbare sheets. There were cigarette burns in the blanket and comforter. There was no screen in the window and either of the guests in the neighboring rooms could have easily climbed into the window despite the room being on the second floor. Definitely did not feel safe sleeping with the windows open, especially after the cops showed up that first evening to break up some kind of domestic disturbance in another room. I saw cop cars parked out the window and when I looked out my front door the cops were questioning some guy who was obviously high on something.

I asked to be moved to a second room because the noise was unacceptable the first night. When I asked to move, the manager told me to call back because they didn't have any clean rooms available. What poor service - I don't understand why they made me call back when I was gone all day anyway - couldn't they have just moved my stuff? Well I had to call back about 3 times before they finally had a room available. I returned to my old room just to grab my packed bag (which I was expecting they would have moved for me) and the room was made up but not for a new guest (my soap was still out and I had rearranged a couple things). Talk about lousy management - why would you make your housekeeping staff refresh a room when the guest is not returning?

I walked into the second room and it reeked like chlorine. The carpet was damp. There were again smudges and crusty stuff on the carpet. The carpet was scrunched up in a bunch of places like it was poorly laid. The in-room AC unit was broken so it only blew air straight into the ground. Again - the window had no screen and being on the ground level, anyone could have creeped into my room. The nozzle to turn the shower on was separated from the tub, exposing the pipes inside. I was willing to overlook all of this because I just needed a cheap place to stay to get some studying done. But the final straw was when I took a shower on that second day. The first threadbare (seriously these things must have been 10 years old) bath towel I pulled out had a big black hair embedded in it. I picked up a second towel and there was a visible dirt smudge on it. I picked up a THIRD towel and there were makeup spots on it. I know that these were not stains because I actually was able to rinse them out of the towel. I dried myself off with what appeared to be a clean hand towel.

I had this reservation for 7 nights and only lasted 2. I was able to get out of paying for the remaining 5 nights but still feel ripped off for having to pay for the first two nights. When I checked out, the manager Virginia couldn't be bothered to get up from the breakfast area to the right of the front desk and told me just to leave the keys on the counter. I had booked this reservation through Priceline and they had already spoken with the hotel who had agreed to refund my money. Virginia did not apologize when I checked out. Because it became clear she didn't care, I explained to her that I was willing to overlook the motel's many flaws but I had to draw the line at dirty towels. She "uh-huh'd" through my whole explanation and then told me to have a very nice day in a very condescending tone. Never received an apology.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poway
Best Western Poway/San Diego Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego-Poway
La Quinta Inn San Diego - Miramar
Courtyard San Diego Rancho Bernardo
Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel

Been to Ramada Poway? Share your experiences!