“Looks beautiful, pricey drinks.”
Review of The Terrace Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

The Terrace Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Experience Style-Flavor-Friends. The Terrace!As you enter The Terrace Restaurant and Bar, you’ll discover a hidden treasure, colorful crowd, romantic patio, and elegant displays of eclectic New American cuisine.Everyone deserves to unwind and drink the finest wine-by-the-glass listening to breeze blow through our California oak tree as delectable dinners are shared with friends, families or lovers within this hidden gem under the Southern California open sky.We offer diverse settings of four dining areas: the Front Room, the Skyline Room, the Side Room, and the Terrace, as well as our Fireside Lounge and Peppertree Cigar Patio. You will be seduced by the flair of a Californian country style with a romantic fireplace, and deep passionate colors that isolate the essence of the moment. The ambiance of The Terrace is created by your presence. We just provide the right setting, wine, and food tailored to feed your soul. At The Terrace we pride ourselves in providing you with top quality service and delicious food in a family friendly restaurant.You can also import the flavors and intimate feelings of The Terrace to your home or venue of any scale and size.
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was staying at the Ramada next door and was referred to The Terrace for dinner when I checked in. The menu they hand out at the hotel dosen't have any prices on it, which made me a little leary. After checking in and failing to get any work done I decided to check these guys out. I could hear jazz music coming from that direction so I went. I was greetd by a very nice woman, she told me the specials, and I ordered a meal to-go. While waiting I meandered around a bit and decided to get a shot or two at the small bar they have. The bar is the type that's setup to service the tables, not walk-up guests. During my wait I had a great conversation with the new owner (same gentleman that owns the hotel next door). Very nice guy. Very proud of the new Terrace Restaurant too. I had two shots of crown royal, the basic stuff, not the expensive black label stuff. When my order was ready and upon paying the bill I saw that each shot was $12. I feel that's very steep. I did not ask how-much beforehand so I really can't be unhappy with them, but again, $24 for two shots is pretty steep. I took my meal back to my room and it was very good, a gorgonzola topped hamburger with garlic tossed fries. I will go back for dinner some time, but I won't be ordering drinks. Good Food!

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Dine in early to experience the ambiance. Our server, Yesenia was knowledgeable, attentive & personable. Our appitizers, we ordered two and shared were just enough to wake up our taste buds for the entrees, which were very good. A very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Ambiance: pretty decor, but the small rooms and hard surfaces mean that it gets noisy as it fills up, and not in a good way. Patio eating looks like a more attractive option for warmer weather.
Menu: Good and varied, except in the dessert course, where some lighter choices would have been appreciated.
Food: We shared a calamari appetizer - quite good, with a touch of heat in the batter and a few onion rings mixed in with the squid. My Dining Companion had the lamb chops, prettily presented on a bed of vegetables, which he said were undercooked, tough and stringy. I had an appetizer as my entree, with a side of fries. The fries were excellent, skinny and crisp, and came with a well-flavored tomato sauce. But the mushrooms, described as 'stuffed with chicken and spinach' were soggy, with no detectable chicken, and completely overwhelmed by the balsamic vinegar sauce, which mingled unpleasantly with the Parmesan cheese garnish. For dessert, where the choices are heavy on the chocolate, I had a brownie sundae, which was OK, and the DC had the Zeppole, little doughnuts with strawberries and a chocolate dipping sauce, which he enjoyed.
Service: Our waiter was friendly and pleasant. The only menu option for a glass of sparkling wine was an overpriced split of Prosecco, and he helpfully suggested I try a Rosebud cocktail, sparkling wine with a splash of Chambord. When it came it was completely flat - not a bubble in sight - and when this was brought to his attention he immediately replaced it with a fresh, properly fizzy glassful. But of course he should not have delivered the flat wine in the first place, and the bartender certainly should not have sent it in. Small black mark for that one.
Our entrees arrived when we were in the middle of our appetizer. Instead of taking them away and returning when we were ready for them, the waiter interrupted our first course with much creating of space and rearranging of plates. By the time we got to our entrees, they were already cooling. The dirty appetizer plates then sat in the middle of our table until we''d nearly finished our entrees. Huge black mark for all that.
General observation: this has the elements of a really good restaurant, but the quality of the food needs to be better and more consistent, and the servers need to be trained in some of the finer points of their art.

1  Thank SWMildcat
A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My husband and I went to the Terrace for Valentine's Day. The place used to be called the House on the Hill. New owners and a new chef took over last October. We have always enjoyed the ambiance and the setting, but the House on the Hill only had mediocre food. We had been hearing that the new chef was much better, so we gave it a shot. It was a fixed menu for V-Day....5 courses. It was excellent and it was only $40 each. We started with an oyster with jalapeno chutney...I don't eat raw oysters so the chef baked mine...very good. The second was shrimp with lemoncello horseradish sauce...boy was that fabulous...he could bottle and sell the sauce. Beet soup with a little heart drawn in it came next. Neither my husband or I are that fond of beets, but the soup was excellent. Procutto wrapped grilled asparagus was next then perfectly cooked filets with chocolate cake and cheesecake ended the meal. The waiter gave us a great wine suggestion...all in all a great meal.

The only odd thing was the service. We had fine service, but the table behind us did not get water or bread...had to ask twice..we got ours right away. When they found out it was a fixed menu, one of them could not eat seafood...he was offered calamari as a substitute! They left quickly because two of the courses were seafood. The next couple seated there could not do oysters and they were offered stuffed mushrooms and a veggie napolean...this was all the same waiter! But...it was a great meal and we'll go back. They have jazz on the terrace in a couple of weeks...may try that.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We went with another a couple on a Saturday night. We had made a reservation days earllier and it was good that we did, because they are full on weekend nights. They do have a nice bar area and we saw several couples come into the bar area for drinks and food. They also have a large patio area, which seemed to be unoccupied because it was too cool to eat outside, although in the warmer weather we expect it willl be uitized. Several other restaurants have occupied this space over the years and we think the current restaurant is much better than the last occupant that left several months ago. We all enjoyed our food; it was nice and hot, well prepared and nicely presented. The portions were decent size and the prices were in line with a restaurant of this caliber. They claim that they buy from local farmers and they say that their menu will be adjusted seasonally. They do not have a big menu, but they have enough variety and they invite you to ask the chef to make something special for you. The decor was interesting, although did not appear completely finished, as they do not have any window treatment. Our server was very friendly and responsive, but a little unsophisticated. Our coffee came out luke warm, but when brought to her attention she apologized and promptly returned with steaming hot coffee.