“Always Good!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Original Pancake House
Ranked #6 of 126 Restaurants in Poway
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Always Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Always get the same order - Apple Pancake with extra whip cream. Always satisfied. Coffee is great too!

Visited March 2013

Dunstable, Massachusetts
“Best breakfast experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Our waitress today told us that the meals containing eggs are so very tasty because the eggs OPH uses are the freshest available. The Apple Pancake, the fresh strawberry crepes, the omelets, the German Pancake, and all the other egg containing breakfast meals are beyond compare. Add this fact to the taste of the fresh squeezed orange juice, the flavor of their brewed coffee, the friendliness of the wait staff and the comfort of their indoor and outdoor seating and you've got yourself a very satisfying breakfast experience.
Whenever I visit San Diego I always make it a point to have breakfast at the OPH. While it may cost a bit more than a generic morning meal at a chain restaurant I always find the food and service so superior that I'm glad to pay the premium price for this level of dining quality.
I heartily recommend this restaurant to anyone within driving distance of Poway, CA!

San Diego, California
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Wonderful food. Everything is fresh, tasty and yummy. The potato pancakes are the best. Your coffee cup is alway full and your plate is over flowing with delicious breakfast delights. We visit several times a month.

Visited February 2013
Newport Beach
“'Black Sheep' of this Chain.....Stay AWAY!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been visiting this fantastic Pancake chain for many years both in S.D. and it's original, up in 'Grant's Pass' OR. Feeling in the mood for some of their delicious signature pancakes, I trustingly tried for the 1st (and LAST!) time, the Poway locale. How many dis-asters??? Let "me count the ways"! Initially, I ordered their famous 'Silver Dollar' pancakes. When they came to the table, I tried to slice into them and they were tough, and the texture of rubber! This is highly unusual - they are moist and tender everywheres else. The batter was too thick. Really hungry @ this point but, had to send them back. NEXT....ordered the feathery-light "Swedish Pancakes" which is one of my favorites on the Menu. What came to the table on my plate was sur-real; wish I'd snapped a photo. Instead of normal 'pancake shaped' crepe textured, they served these 'grossly oversized' crisp pieces that were breaking apart like thin hash browns, brown in color, and not even remotely resembling a Pancake!! At this point, it was clear to me there is something VERY wrong w/ their Chefs. Real wrong! They need to get new ones who can actually COOK. When the waitress took away now my 2nd plate, I overheard the customers @ the adjacent table (also) complaining their potatoes were inedible and tasted 'weird', thus sending back. Two tables in a row, the Waitress had to remove charges from our checks. I have never experienced such horrible food not only w/ the chain, but ANYwhere's I've dined! And for the absolute 'grand finale', seeking the Restrooms, I was dismayed to discover the doors open into their Kitchen!!! You have to physically walk into kitchen area where the cooks are slinging orders, to get into the toilet area - who DOES this? Isn't that against some sort of Health law or something in a public restaurant? Very odd design. Once inside the restroom, someone had left sanitary products all over the stall floor, blood running everywhere - which I reported. Just a nightmare....from the time I set foot into the place till the moment I was preparing to leave. I strongly encourage visiting any one of their 'other' locations in San Diego. Stay away from Poway! There are obviously very serious Mangmnt. problems here, and the Cooks cannot (cook)! When complaining, I was only advised, that "each store is a Franchise". Still, no excuse. Any of them should only hire Cooks that can adequately follow the 'Original's' basic recipes, not trashing the food this way & in the process, destroying this place's historic reputation as a top Pancake house. Horrible. Should have a 'D' Rating on the front door; enter at your own risk!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NewportBeachWords
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

It's a chain but don't hold that against them. Wonderful pancakes of every variety. Usually a wait on the weekends, but worth it. Full breakfast selection in addition to the pancakes. Friendly staff.

Been to Original Pancake House? Share your experiences!