“Food + Service + Price = Excellent”

Mama Teresa's Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Great food with spot-on flavors. Genuinely friendly service that is so hard to find. Price, middle of the road. Close to perfection.

I followed the waiter's recommendation: Italian sausage (made in house), on top of pasta and meat sauce, with the green salad, and the bread that comes with the meal. Accompanied by a glass of pinot noir.

All fresh and tasty, delivered to the table at the proper temperature and in a timely but not rushed manner. The wine paired nicely with the meat, the salad (chocked with assorted veggies) offset the heavy nature of sausage and pasta, and the bread was soft as a pillow, so good. Water refills and empty dishes taken away politely.

They've got a great system here that treats the customer like the special person they are.

2  Thank tooluser

Reviewed August 15, 2013

It is exactly as I wrote in the title of this review. This is a very nice, intimate Italian restaurant in Poway. Family-owned and operated. Food selection was overwhelming to me as I was very hungry. I made a last minute decision and did not regret it (but from seeing what everyone else was served, I don't think you can make any wrong decision as for the food selection). I don't expect a Claimjumper-sized tray of food put in front of me, but I was rather disappointed that my $14 entrée is that and nothing more - no salad, no soup, no veggies on the side, nada. I would have stocked up on bread, but even that was provided in very limited portions. For a group of 8 I would have expected the service to be a little more on top of it.

The food was understandably high-priced. They are trying to present this to be a fine restaurant, but the location, in a strip mall next a Five Guys, Japanese restaurant that might disappear when we all wake up tomorrow, a Little Ceaser's, and a liquor does not project that setting. Furthermore, this area thrives on the business lunch crowd, but at >$10 for a plate of food, this would not be my first choice (or any choice) for lunch.

I feel really bad for the business owners writing this, but, man, c'mon and do your homework. I swear there is a curse in Poway for non-chain restaurants. First of all, there are so many. More than is needed. New places seem to pop up each month and then last about 2-3 years. I won't go into any specifics, but there are a number of properties (more than I can count on my hands) that have seen at least three different restaurants in them during the past 7-8 years.

I will return to Mamma Teresa's, but it will be when a vendor is taking me out to eat or when I can expense it on the company dollar. Oh, and I will be sure to order an appetizer and/or salad.

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Food was good. Came out really quick. The service was fantastic and attentive. the chefs come out and bring your food. Bigger Italian music playing, good ambiance

2  Thank jen g
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great food. You feel like family here. Sincerity and authentic style cooking cannot be faked. Yes, it's in a strip mall and kind of small. But come for the food and the atmosphere inside the restaurant. In fact, we are heading back there today for lunch.

My wife had linguine carbonara. Said it was the best she's ever had. I had the daily special - don't remember what it was called but it was excellent. And the dessert - wow! I asked for tiramisu - they they didn't have it but had something similar with berries. It was so good and the perfect way to end a perfect lunch.

1  Thank sd_doubled
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The food is great, home cooked feel, as good as any high priced italian restaurant....What makes this place special is the people. They are so caring , concerned that every dish is perfectly cooked to your liking and that everyone is happy. They cooked a dish special for one of our party who had special dietary restrictions ......Desserts, especially cannolli were home made and outstanding . I have been to some great restaurants in Tuscanny and this is as good as any....It is located in a strip mall but who cares !

1  Thank Jeffreyh66