“Lovely choice”

The Bull Inn
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We ate here two evenings in a row as we were staying close by and there is very little else to choose from but were not disappointed.
We ate in the bar on both occasions and the service was excellent.
The choice of food was good with additional daily specials available and the deserts were lovely
My only issue was that on the second evening my food was so hot that I ended up with the roof of my mouth badly blistered, maybe I was just to eager to get started.
Looking forward to our next visit to the area.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Had lunch here a couple of times. The menu was fairly exciting and the food tasty and well cooked, if a little salty as it usually is in restaurants. It's a bit on the steep side I suppose too. Good beers on tap including Suffolk Blonde and the old faithful Aspall's Cider. The building and interior are very nice and there's a beer garden too. I like it.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I've eaten here many times, the food is absolutely amazing! They have a board up that tells you where your food is from. The menu changes all the time, fillet steak tower is to die for! The staff are so friendly and are more than happy to amend dishes to your personal taste. Cannot fault The Bull in anyway! I feel lucky we have this amazing local eatery, I can see why they have just been on the front page of the paper for being the only AA 5 star inn in Suffolk.

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We visited on our anniversary and ate in the bar. Food prices horrendous for the portion sizes which weren't tiny but also weren't generous. Would expect it from a top London restaurant, not one in the middle of nowhere. Had to go to the bar to order food as we had sat waiting for more than ten minutes without anyone coming over to ask if we would like anything having asked for a child's menu so they knew we wanted to eat. One item was missing and had to ask for it which was rather embarrassing. They state well behaved children only- my 4 year old was sitting at the table quietly whilst other family's had no control over their screaming children who were running around. Staff made no attempt to ask the parents to stop their children running around. The lights were very low making it almost impossible to read the menu without moving the candle closer. They also had a tv playing Spanish football and then golf- I have no interest in either and it distracted my son from his dinner

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We live locally and ate here frequently. The food is brilliant but they do not value their customers. We have had endless problems with not one apology. I emailed to inform them of our problems and never even got a reply. I tried to book a table for a work lunch but they were very awkward even dictating we were not allowed to order sandwiches, only full meals, they missed drinks off our bill one night and emailed to ask us to go back the next day to pay them, there was a plastic shard in a pudding which was pointed out but no apology, to name just a few issues. The food would make up for it if they bothered to even say sorry, but their total lack of value placed on customers means I'll be finding other places to go, which is a shame.

1  Thank Leanne C
Sonia H, Owner at The Bull Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. As a privately owned business, we take customer service and satisfaction very seriously, which I’m sure you will see is demonstrated by our amazing reviews. Our apologies were extended when the small piece of plastic from an ice cream container was found on the party date at the beginning of January and again when you mentioned it again to Sonia on Valentine’s Day, so we can only apologise you feel we didn’t say sorry. We’re sorry you felt we were being awkward regarding your meeting area for lunch, of course this would never be any businesses intention. We do hire meeting rooms out, but you were not looking to pay for a room, so as an alternative we offered on this occasion to waive the £60 room hire if your 8 guests were going to be dining from our main course menu. Again we can only extend our sincere apologies that this gesture didn’t meet with your needs either. We also advised that we don’t reserve tables in the pub or in our private meeting rooms, but you were of course welcome to come down and get a table and order as much or as little as you wished. Of coure you could of paid the room hire charge and had no refreshments so we don’t feel we were dictating what your guests had to eat. We’re personally dissapointed that you feel you shouldn’t have to pay for the drinks you drank in the pub. As Sonia explained just after you had left, your drinks were not actually missed from the till, they were on the till where you were drinking in the pub before going through to dinner, our guests normally advise the waitress if they have an unpaid tab and where they don’t we can usually guess and match them up. On such an incredibly busy evening, it can be difficult with guests moving to different areas with tabs and your pub tab wasn’t noticed until just after you left. We are sorry we didn’t notice this sooner, Sonia did of course show your party the bill before taking payment, so you could see the drinks consumed in the pub were missing but chose to say nothing at this point. Your friend did in fact come in the next morning to pay for the drinks you had consumed and didn’t indicate in anyway she felt it was unreasonable and in fact spent some time chatting to Sonia about various unrelated things.