“Great food, great place to take kids”

Old Port Lobster Shack
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We ate here with friends and family when we were visiting the Bay Area. We sat outside -- the restaurant is in a strip mall but kind of set back from the parking lot -- attractive plantings -- and a great place to bring kids. Our 4 year olds ran around and played with kids from neighboring tables. People even bring their dogs. I'd been to the Redwood City restaurant in the past and this seems to have the same food, but the setting is much nicer. And it's just a hop skip jump from the Alpine exit off 280. My lobster roll was very good and I wanted to try everything that everyone else ordered too -- fish & chips, salads, Manhattan chowder. There's a good kids menu. We stayed there for 2 hours, just enjoying the casual ambiance. Would definitely go back!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Lobster Shack = YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the the Naked Lobster Roll!! It's DELICIOUS and BRILLIANT!! I don't like mayo so the mayo free lobster roll is a nice change for once!! All fish / shellfish is very fresh!!

Also, you MUST start your meal with a cup of the Rhode Island Red Chowdah!! It's FABULOUS!!

Highly Recommended!!

1  Thank heart77
Reviewed May 18, 2012

A friend from Maine mentioned that this is 1 of her favorite places to eat & that she loves their lobster "rolls". Not like in a hot dog bun but in a bread roll. Since I hadn't had lobster in a very long time & it was near 11am, I decided to take her recommendation. I wasn't disappointed: the "Naked Lobster Roll" had plenty of nice chunks of sweet lobster in a buttered crusty roll. The fries were good & the slaw had wee dried blueberries in it, which I liked very much. There were plenty of places to sit both inside & outside, the service very friendly. However, it wasn't made clear to me what the routine was - which is, if you order takeout, take a seat & wait for your order by the register. If you're eating there, then take a seat at a table & your order will be brought to you. At that hour, a number isn't required. I was also unaware that you can help yourself to complimentary water & sliced lemon. When my order came out, the very kind server asked if I would like some & brought it to me! I thoroughly enjoyed my meal & look forward to going back again!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The restaurant is cozy and comfortable. The staff is helpful and friendly. As usual we had the lobster roll. As always it was amazing....plenty of lobster crammed into a sweet fresh roll. We can't wait to return for our March visit and the amazing lobster roll.

1  Thank Firsttimevisitors10
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This new location in Portola Valley is in the small Ladera shopping center--laid back and quiet. Simple picnic tables and order at the counter. They have the lobster rolls nailed--full of succulunt chunks, with homemade rolls and dressing....or comes "naked." Fries and coleslaw arrive in the basket. Price-y, but worth it. The menu is quite large with an A+ clam chowder, fried oysters, & clams, plus some BBQ specialities. East Coast sodas and brews are featured.

2  Thank ErnDev