“Mountain Golfing At Its Best”

Grizzly Ranch Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Portola
More attraction details
Owner description: Grizzly Ranch Golf Club is the #1 Ranked public-accessible golf course in the Sierra Nevada (Golf Digest 2014). Established in 2005, this is a Bob Cupp-designed championship course that can stretch out to 7400 yards but with five sets of tees can provide challenge and enjoyment to every level of player. Located in Northeastern California just 45 minutes North of Reno, NV and Truckee, CA, Grizzly Ranch Golf Club is everything a mountain course should be .. majestic views, impeccable conditions, tough but fair. Director of Golf, Van Batchelder, strives to make every guest's visit a memorable and enjoyable experience. Grizzly Ranch Golf Club is not to be missed.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I must disagree with anything less that an excellent rating for this beautiful, championship, well-maintained course in the Sierra Mountain. Grizzly Ranch Golf Course is all of this and more, with friendly and helpful staff. Don't miss playing this course, if you're in the Sacramento, Reno or the Bay Area and seek a memorable golfing experience at a reasonable price.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I live in outside Philadelphia, where there is no shortage of top courses. I have played Grizzly four or five times in the last few years while visiting friends in California. I have found the course to be maintained as well as the best private courses and the layout is challenging but fair. The facilities are excellent, particularly the driving range and practice areas. The staff is engaging and they make you feel welcome. But what I love most are the views from the course. While I try to focus on my game, I find my eyes wandering to drink in the majestic natural setting. I look forward to my next visit.

1  Thank bclegal
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I live in the South Bay Area of San Francisco and make a trip each summer just to play a few rounds at Grizzly. The course is challenging and always in great condition---what I particularly like are the holes that are bunkered--reminds me of the 13th at Marion. The entire golf team is helpful and the treat even a high handicapper like myself as a club member. If you want a great round of golf on a clear sun washed day where you play at your pace then Grizzly is for you.

Power Man

Reviewed June 24, 2013

First about the course, then the staff and overall experience. This course is difficult, no doubt about it. It is one of those courses that a hand held GPS unit is good to have. There are just a few holes that you need to have more accurate distance information from your ball to the next hazard or "feature". The course was in excellent condition, and had some postcard-worthy fairways that made you take just an extra second on the tee-box and take in the view. As far as the staff: We were late arriving on a busy Saturday morning, due to some confusion on directions. We were frazzled when we arrived. The first person that greeted us was the kind security gate lady, and her first words were "we know you're running late, but take a deep breath and relax. You're here. and it's a beautiful day. Enjoy it!" Nice! When we got to the bag-drop, there was an attendant waiting with our cart who said the same thing, then "the good news is that you're here. Relax. The bad news is you're on the tee box. Come back later and take care of the green fees. We'll be here." Then on the way down, the pro came out and personally told us to "slow down, enjoy your round, and come back and settle up later." We could not have been treated any better! We were a wreck when we arrived, expecting who-knows-what, and it was turned into a "wow" moment!
Thanks, Van, for you and your staff, who made our day!

1  Thank gshattog
Van2013_13, General Manager at Grizzly Ranch Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words! So glad you were able to see Grizzly Ranch on a beautiful day. Hope we see you again soon.
Best wishes,
Van

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I like a good driving range and this course has one of the best I have ever hit on. It has all grass hitting areas that are well maintained. The range itself is long and wide. I even went back to hit after the round. The course is likewise in excellent shape. The tee boxes and fairway grasses were like a carpet and the greens were equally well maintained. The course is very playable with 5 tee boxes and offers a proper degree of challenge and fairness. If you like mountain landscape you will really love the views this place has to offer. There are several other good courses in the area we played which make for a great golf outing but this is the best of the bunch. Bottom line is it is a very fun course to play that is in great shape with beautiful mountain views.