“great way to see western RR history”

Western Pacific Railroad Museum
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Portola
More attraction details
Owner description: Historical railroad museum featuring a unique Run-a-Locomotive program, which allows anyone to rent and operate a train on the museum premises.
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a sleeper attraction . Wife and I are both train nuts and herd about this museum and the weekend train rides. Huge yard of rolling stock and engines from the past. The museum has a
gift shop , with lots of train goodies for young and old. The repair shop was buzzing with volunteers restoring a steam locomotive. The train ride was a 10 minute ride around the yard that was fun and you are able to see more of the rolling stock. Great place to take the kids and grand kids. Prices are very reasonable for admission and the train ride.

1  Thank roadwarriorimaging

Reviewed June 21, 2014

The museum and rail yard here are very nice. There are several trains in the rail yard to explore. You are greeted at the entrance by a huge locomotive with a snowplow. The museum is interesting and informative with lots to see and do. Very well done for a small town.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had planned for several years to visit this museum, and the day we arrived there, much to our dismay, we found the gates padlocked. 3,000 miles and lined into a bumping post. It must have been our lucky day, because a couple of museum workers showed up to do some routine maintainence work, and they graciously let us in to roam the property.

There is a wonderful array of equipment there, it's a sprawling 1:1 scale train set. Being a retired railroader, I really appreciated the various loco models and rolling stock which was displayed there, many of which I had operated during my career.

It's well worth the trip, just double check their operating days before you go. I believe they said it was going to be closed Tuesdays, although the site showed open daily.

We left a donation as a token of our gratitude, I'm so glad we had the chance to see everything after all that trip planning. The owner was out of town for the day, I had hoped to meet him, but perhaps another time.

Two thumbs up for the Western Pacific Railroad Museum.

4  Thank NeverPayFullPrice
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The kids will love this. Wander around at your leisure and be sure to take your camera. A real piece of history to experience.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a real fun place to go to. Between mid-April and mid-November they allow you to rent a locomotive and ride it for an hour with a qualified instructor along with you. My family and myself enjoyed this a lot and loved every minute of the ride. You have to book in advance. The museum itself is fabulous and the volunteers are the best, they give you a lot of information and interesting stories.

1  Thank jayprak