“Rustic Classic FISHING AT FRENCHMAN LAKE OCT2011”
Review of Sleepy Pines Motel

Sleepy Pines Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portola
Sleepy Pines Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Portola
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My name is Dave Terry and on October 11th.12th13th and 14th i stayed at Sleepy Pine in room# 29 and i have to say it was GREAT!!! the room has a small kitchenett if you needed it and the bathroom was very clean as well as the rest of the room,the propritores are very nice and made me feel at home, Keith would check on me everyday to see if their was anything i needed extra towels, soap, shampoo ext. not to forget the mention of the great gift shop that is at the office ask Sue and Keith to show you their clocks they are awsome

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank DAVE T

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Located in the heart of the valley. very clean, rates reasonable, and accommodating.

Saved me money due to kitchens in room.

Sure beats the cookie cutter motel. This was more like home.

Room Tip: Get a kitchen here.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank mightywhite_2000
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I used to stay here in the early 1990s when it was rustic and cozy - and clean. I always stayed in the "knotty pine" rooms in the section closest to the office. Sadly, the motel has deteriorated significantly over the last decade or so. Carpeting is stained; the blankets on my bed were torn and frayed; the mattress cover was faded and had stains - and this was in the "better" section. We were shown a room in the even more "rustic" section, which smelled musty and stale and needed multiple coats of paint inside and out. We were so uncomfortable with the bedding we left after one night and moved to the Sierra Motel at the opposite end of town, which is under good management. The Sierra is about the same vintage as Sleepy Pines. However, it has a brand new section which is immaculate but even the older rooms are clean and well-maintained - and the reasonable rates include breakfast at a local cafe.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank GrannyA
Reviewed April 14, 2010

With more than a decade in the hospitality industry, I believe I know customer service.

My husband and I are avid snowmobilers and were looking forward to another weekend in the snow when we made the 4 hour drive to Portola and the Sleepy Pines Motel. We had a gift certificate to redeem - a gift certificate that we had won in a raffle that benefited a local school.

The woman we encountered immediately questioned the validity of the gift certificate, suggesting that we would drive more than 4 hours to steal a $55 room. Someone with any customer service skills would have accepted the gift certificate and taken my credit card as a back-up.

Not only will I tell everyone I know NOT to stay here, I will recommend they stay at the Chalet View Lodge - just 5 miles up the road and worth the few extra dollars.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank SJHotel_Girl
Reviewed July 8, 2009

This old fashioned motel on the edge of Portola is a real find. The rooms were nicely decorated, and had refrigerators, coffee pots, and microwaves. The bed was very comfortable with fun sheets and bedspread. Clean bathroom. I arrived mid-day without a reservation, and they let me check in right away. It was a very peaceful place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank CA7777
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Its amazing how when you least expect it, good things come. Over the 4th of July holiday we found ourselves staying at The Sleepy Pines Motel. From our intial glance, just seemed to be regular run of the mill motel. That's until we actually slowed down and took notice. Our walk up the deck to the office, with seasonal blooms in different pottery. From a wooden tub to a procelain toilet to an array of birdhouse on the building. Just this walk alone was enough to tell us we had made a good choice.
Our check-in was very pleasant and very friendly. I felt as tho I were an actually guest in a home. When we arrived at our room I was even more amazed. For an older motel this family had done an equisite job in its decor and ombiance. Instead of plain white sheets and towels we were surprised to find linens that I would have in my own linen closet. Lets just say when a motel roomI feels so comfortable that I forgot to put out our "Do Not Disturb" sign. You know you have found aplace to return again again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Love_Laughter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portola
Chalet View Lodge
Lake Davis Resort, Cabins & Motel
The Lodge at Nakoma
The Lodge at Nakoma
#1 of 3 in Portola

Been to Sleepy Pines Motel? Share your experiences!