“Great location”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Port Hueneme
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This hotel is almost next to a really nice beach, I was pleasantly surprised how near it was. I was on business and enjoyed a nice run along the beach and pier that was less than 500 yards away. The hotel was fine, I didn't have any problems with the room, and got a good price over Hotwire. They had a good breakfast and the chef there was very nice and attentive.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank status88
silviaflaaten, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay with us.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed running on the beach that is only 2 blocks away.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Nichole Pinkard
Front Desk Manager
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson
805-271-2672

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 7, 2010

While visiting a family member stationed at Oxnard Naval Base, we stayed in the Country Inn Suites for a week. The beach was a nice walking distance through a safe and quiet neighborhood. The accomadations were very clean and their food was excellent. We had a delicious hot breakfast every morning and apples and cookies throughout our stay. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Ohio26
Torrevieja
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I'll keep this short and sweet - staff inattentive, rates not as booked, noisy, rooms dirty (the carpet was very very very dirty) and glad to leave (earlier than planned).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
CA Central Coast
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I booked this hotel room on Priceline for $50. A friend and I were staying after a 100 mile bike race. We needed to wake early the next morning to bike 60 more. The reason I say this, is because we were tired! We found the hotel to be a bit far from the freeway. This was my fault, as I should have studied maps a bit clearer. A day before check in I called to secure the room. They said they only had king rooms available. I asked for a roll away bed, and I was informed it would be an extra $10. When we arrived, we noticed the surrounding area was not the best. It gets better as you near the beach. But the grounds were very nice, and you feel safe on the property. The lobby was nice and bright. I immediatly noticed we were the only non military guests, being that the hotel was next to the Navy base. But this is certainly not an issue, just an observation. It was an honor to meet these men and women.

We went to the room, and found it to be very large, including a couch and living room furniture. Also, the roll away bed was already in the room. This was a nice touch. My friend and I went downstairs to the "evening reception" It was located next to the lobby in a "fireside" room. It was like a cafeteria with living room furniture. We had our choice of basic alcohol beverages and some light snacks. It was a nice touch to unwind. Nothng fancy. The cups were plastic and the snacks were nachos, pretzels, and carrots. But its included in the room. And its nice to see folks laughing and having fun together.

That evening I went to use the jacuzzi by the pool. The pool is very small, but it fits in the small patio they have out back. The jacuzzi was a welcome event after such a tough day. Going back to the room I noticed a few things of note. The room and building are definatly old and have seen a lot of use. But it is well maintained. The tub/shower had a cracked floor which is not bad but a bit unattractive. As I said earlier the room was very large, especially for a king. In the living room seciton I found a VERY clean refrigerator and microwave. I usually find these tacky and dirty. But here, they were out of the way and displayed on an attractive stand. The cleanliness made them a nice addition. And just before bed, I discovered the free wireless internet. Great!

We woke at 6:30 to race again. We went downstairs for their free breakfast. Served like a cafeteria. And nothing fancy. I missed the bacon, there was none. But a fine selection of other things, and a friendly staff. Checkout was a breeze, with only the rollaway to pay for. Overall a nice hotel. Nothing fancy, but nothing lacking. As stated in the title, it did the trick, and for the rate I recieved, I was very happy. Thank you for a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ant4fatony
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I got in from NY on the 14th of June and as there was no space at the time on the Navy base I went to this hotel instead.
Warning. If you have a government travel card, STAY AWAY. Imagine the huge coronary infarction I about had when I looked at the projected price for a 2 -week stay : $2000!!! Plus they will put a hold on your GTCC for another $500 "for incidentals". I bit the bullet and said ok. Then about a week later, after I had to have another 2 grand added to my credit limit so i could EAT, (between the rental car and the hotel they both murdered my freaking card!!!) I get another bill from them ($1000)

URGH!!! I paid up the balance and I packed my stuff and left.

The hotel itself is nice, to be fair. They have a nice swimming pool and continental breakfast, plus a staff that is fairly nice and not borderline psycho or bipolar. Like I said in the title, if you want to stay a night or two its good. If you want to stay longer you had better be made of money else they will be knocking on the door...wanting to bend you over and... you get the picture.

$3 for a bottle of water, WTFO?

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
US
Reviewed June 17, 2009

For what I paid for the room, it was a good value. The hotel options in the city are limited, but this one was worth the stay. The food was good and the hotel made a point to have evening events, offering complimentary drinks and snacks. It was nice to get to socialize in what appeared to be a business-traveler oriented hotel.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I was too late to book a hotel in santa barbara for the UCSB commencement. and everything within 30 miles was booked. so i used hotwire and ended up with this hotel. i wasn't expecting much in oxnard. but it turned out to be okay.

on the plus side: it was a good price, the rooms were quiet and mostly comfortable, the beds were pretty comfortable, it came with free breakfast (and was actually fairly tasty), and it's close to the beach.

on the down side: it's way off the freeway, the beach that it's close to is huge, but not popular at all (that may be a plus for some people). but for a 3 star, it's hard to complain. especially at the hotwire price. i wouldn't go out of my way to stay here. but if you're in the area for a night or two, you could do much worse.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor
Best Western Oxnard Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme? Share your experiences!