“A terrible experience”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Pomona
Alta Loma, California
“A terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Where do I begin, it was so bad! I guess at the beginning. We were in town for a wedding, and we experienced the same incidences in all four rooms I went into, as the entire bridal party was booked at the "hotel". Here goes...

At check in there was a $100 deposit on top of our $98 room. The hotel is run down and very 80s. The wallpaper is peeling, the bed skirts were stained. The ceiling in the rooms on the top floor was stained from possible roof damage. The girl at check in was snotty. She did not have a name tag, but was very condescending to us. Our name was incorrect on our reservation, as were several names in the wedding party, and it took a very long time to get checked it anyway. I had to get ready for the wedding in a hot room. It took FOREVER to cool down the room. The bride and groom had to sleep in a hot room though; their room NEVER cooled down. Thank goodness it cooled down by the time we returned from the wedding, but then the ice was gone. The ice makers were all broken, except for the one on the second floor. The hotel was completely booked and the ice ran out early with 129 rooms.

Went to the pool through the workout room. Air conditioning is a problem throughout. The door to the workout room was open so the 100 degree heat was where you would work out. Not pleasant. The pool was refreshing, but needs a new coat of plaster badly, as spots were peeling, and there was a black moldy looking stain on one wall. Scary. The spa had black spots all over it, and the plaster was peeling. There was no shade, no umbrellas, NO TOWELS ! I had to find housekeeping for pool towels. I wanted a shower very badly after swimming with the black spot.

If you wanted to use the tub, you are out of luck since there is no switch to move the water to come our of the faucet. The shower head was clogged and barely spit out water. There was a rusty piece of metal where you would connect the clothesline in the shower.

When calling to the front desk, or other rooms, there is a constant ringing/busy signal in the background of the phone. The TV has a high pitched tone on all channels above 30.

There was no room service menu, so I assume no room service? The continental breakfast was literally blueberry muffins, cereal, and bagels WITH NO CREAM CHEESE! Really?!

I see on Yelp that the Hyatt bought this property after it went bankrupt. I would not return unless I saw a Hyatt sign on the front. No way!

Room Tip: Where is Hotel Impossible when I need it? This place was scary!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Hilltop Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear twinboysmommy,
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences expressed in your review and we would like you to know that this hotel, prior to your stay, changed ownership and is now operated by a new Owner/Franchisee. Shilo Management Corporation will continue to hold the few independent franchisees that we do have, to the high Shilo standards of hospitality & service that each of our many Shilo company owned properties must adhere to. We will immediately share your comments with these new franchisees and ask them to take immediate corrective action to assure future Shilo Inns’ hospitality is given to each of our valued guests.
We hope that you will give Shilo Inns another opportunity, to be of service.

Leon Standbridge
VP, Shilo Management Corporation
503-641-6565

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Checked in on Friday afternoon. Rebecca was really helpful and very friendly. I should have been concerned when someone was checking out early, when we were checking in.
Stayed here rather than a different hotel that offered a manager's reception, but I chose the cook to order breakfast at the Shiloh Inn instead. In the morning Rebecaa told us that there cook called in sick, so we had to go to the sister property across the street. Breakfast consisted of cold pancakes, runny oatmeal, toast, bagels. When I asked about a cooked to order breakfast, I was told I could order and pay off the menu.
I asked about the breakfast when we returned to our Hotel and was told that they do not offer cooked to order breakfasts. It is a continental breakfast since they are under new ownership.
When trying to take a shower, could not get the shower to start. Had to have 2 housekeeping people come in and figure out how to do it. Then had to pull on a metal piece (missing a knob) until the water come at from the showerhead. Once we figured out this part, tried to adjust the water and could not. We ended up taking cold showers.

Never will we stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, VP of Operations at Hilltop Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear megsmom4865,
We hope that you will give Shilo Inns another opportunity, to be of service.

Leon Standbridge
VP, Shilo Management Corporation
503-641-6565

Travelers are raving about these Pomona hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Thank you to Fabiola and the rest of the staff for making all of our family who was there for the wedding feel at home. The rooms were clean and nice!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Union City, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were disappointed that the restaurant was closed when we were there, because they were just bought by Hyatt. But the service was exceptional! The response was very quick and friendly when we asked for extra towels, asked them to fix the internet which dropped out once, and especially when we had to check out unexpectedly early. Fabiola at the front desk explained we booked through a third party, but then she called for us and made sure we would not be charged for the two nights we didn't end up staying - Thank you so much! The location was convenient to Cal Poly, the beds were very comfortable, and the A/C worked well - it was hot outside! But the breakfast was minimal, the spa jets didn't operate, and the internet was very slow. I enjoyed the rabbits on the grounds and would stay here again after it gets some updating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

The carpet and decor are dirty and out-dated! They need to update EVERYTHING! When trying to dial out on my room phone for room service, there was a constant ringing in the background which made it difficult to place my order. One of the lights was out in the hallway which gave me a creepy feeling. It reminded me of the shining. Not a nice hotel at all!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jen m
Palmdale, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

As another reviewer mentioned, we also got dinged with a 100 dollar deposit that we were not told about.
The furnishings were in relatively decent condition, but they were a complete flashback to the 80's. The room was large, and the bed was comfortable, but there was just an overall creepy feeling for both my husband and myself. I didn't want to go around barefoot on the carpet. The wallpaper was peeling and the showerhead was clogged in the bathroom. It took our airconditioner five hours to drop the room three degrees. We slept okay, and the breakfast the next morning was amazing. It was a full, hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, and sausage in addition to muffins, bagels and cereal. That was nice.

But, until they remodel, we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were placed on the 3rd floor overlooking the roof in the back. It was...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hek1122
Riverside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was on an over night stay at your establishment and I was very tired after a long week, however when I entered in and this most gracious host Fabilo greeted me with a smile and began to assist me the day seemed to look brighter.. Service is key!!! I travel a great deal personally and professionally I will occupy this hotel everytime I'm in the area as long as you have (Fabilo) and others like her working there.. Great human being!!!

Room Tip: Great Service!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tammy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pomona
Comfort Inn Pomona
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
#1 of 3 in Diamond Bar
Kellogg West Conference Center & Hotel

Been to Hilltop Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!