“Older, but nice”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Pomona
Washington state
“Older, but nice”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Fairplex for one week in late October. Our suite was comfortable, large enough and clean. The furniture could have used some slight updating (small tear in couch cushion, very small hole in leather armchair, mattress on my side was a little worn) but was definitely sufficient. Two giant TVs. Staff were very helpful and quick to accomadate. Hotel has many meeting rooms, also outdoor pool and an exercise room. Only ate in the restaurant once, but it was good, if somewhat expensive. It has a breakfast buffet. There are other restaurants within a 10 minute drive. Room had a frig, micro, "bar" sink and coffee maker, very handy. There is a park across the street, altho locals told us it has a somewhat shady reputation after dark. We never saw anything going on. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room that does not look out over the main entrance, as that is where...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SLHbigfoot
GilbertGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fairplex Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear SLHbigfoot,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. At the Sheraton Fairplex, we strive to provide our guests with warm and comfortable accommodations and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Also thank you for shining light on the furniture tear. We will have our rooms inspected closely and repair any damages immediately.

Again, thank you for your time and kind words and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

John Gilbert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I found this hotel to be a very good value, particularly given the location. I don't mean that as a put-down but as a business reality. Hotels that cater to the business traveler run a considerable range. If there's a significant draw, the hotels are nice because they compete. This hotel doesn't really have a significant draw except the county fairgrounds. Yet, it provided very good service; very decent meals; very clean rooms and a friendly and professional staff. I recommend it to the business traveler who finds themselves in that area or to families on vacation.

1 Thank jvabalos50
Greetings jvabalos50,

We, at the Sheraton Fairplex and Conference Center, greatly appreciate the positive comments that you have left about your stay with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to offer this feedback.

Our staff always aims to provide our guests with the best experience possible and I am pleased that you were welcomed during your stay. While we do draw crowds for events at the fairgrounds, we are also pleased to announce the opening of our conference center located directly behind our location. Here we will be able to cater to large events and business meetings. We encourage you to return and enjoy our new attraction.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Seattle
Reviewed October 31, 2011

There is nothing exceptional about the breakfast, the restaurant or the service. I still rate the hotel as "Very Good" because it has very spacious and comfortable rooms and a relaxing pool area with a little hot tub next to it. I did enjoy my stay in this hotel. Everything was convenient and went smoothly.

Dear lullabymoon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write these positive comments about your recent stay with us. At the Sheraton Fairplex, we strive to provide excellent service and a friendly environment. I am pleased that we met your needs during your stay. Again, thank you for your time and your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a very nice hotel and we have stayed here 4-5 times. We attend an event every year at the Fairplex next door called the Off-Road Expo. It is pretty much our annual trade show. So even years that we don't stay in the hotel, we still utilize the restaurant and lounge. We live about 90 minutes south of the hotel, so it's a nice treat to not have to drive back and forth for 3 days in a row. The rooms are lovely and all of the rooms are suites. You can close the doors to the "bedroom" with pocket doors and have guests over. There is a couch with a hide-a-bed and a nice sized coffee table as well as a desk for business needs. Both rooms have a nice sized flat-screen television. The shower has a lot of pressure and the towels are softer than most hotels. They offer both shampoo and conditioner and a nice hair dryer that is not attached to the wall and has a little more power than those that are. Rooms have a small refridgerator and a microwave. The bed is pretty soft, but not as soft as mine at home. There are extra pillows and blanket in the wardrobe, that is always nice.

Now, for the restaurant. The food is good, the menu is extremely small. I felt the food was overpriced for what I got. Breakfast buffet is $15 and just as crappy as Laughlin. Cold food, out of eggs, only syrup for the waffles, cream cheese, but no bagels, etc. My breakfast burrito the next day was very good, though. My biggest complaint with the place is they are consistently so slow it makes me insane! When people have to get to the Fairplex to open a booth by 9 a.m. and show up at 8 for breakfast, it shouldn't take an hour to feed them. The place is always empty, so there is no need to make reservations, but I don't think they could be much slower. They don't get tables ready until you show up (most places are setting up tables in between customers), and it literally takes 5 minutes for the waitress to come back to tell you a table is ready. Really? I can see 10 empty tables from where I'm standing! I just don't know why they can't seat you right away. I have NEVER been seated right away there. They are in no hurry to take your order or come by and check on you. I usually have to ask for my check so I can leave and get to work. So, the food is pretty good, but don't go if you're in a hurry. We ended up just ordering room service for dinner and it was at our hotel room in 20 minutes, which is much faster than we would have received it downstairs. So that is my recommendation to you. Also, the bar menu has a good burger on it. No burgers next door in the restaurant. Service is a little better in the bar, but only at the bar, and not at the tables in the bar. They usually have one waiter/waitress working the tables and it is wall to wall people at this event.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
GilbertGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fairplex Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Greetings Angie12345,

Thank you very much for your positive and detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate that you took the time to write these courteous and constructive comments.

At the Sheraton Fairplex, we pride ourselves in providing our guests with a warm and comfortable experience. In regards to your stay in particular, I apologize that we were not able to seat you in a timely manner. We always make the greatest effort to provide our guests with quick, yet pleasing service. I assure you that we have taken steps in improving this expectation.

The Off-Road Expo is always an exciting event and we thank you for your loyalty. We hope to see you again soon and we get the chance to show you improvements in your areas of concern.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this detailed feedback of your stay.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Stayed here for a couple of night while in town on business and the hotel was perfect for that purpose. Rooms are spacious, clean and quiet - key factors when I am traveling for work. Would have gotten a higher rating if it weren't for the dated lobby, and dreary rundown hallways. In the end, it's the room that is important, so I would definitely stay here again for a business trip - not that there is much selection out in Pomona.

PROS - Large suite-like rooms, quiet and clean.
CONS - OK restaurant, not much food selection in the area. Lobby is rather dated and hallways need to be redone - lots of bumpy carpet and torn/stained wallpaper with dark lighting

Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I gave this hotel 4 stars because it was clean and quiet and the personnel were very nice. However, our top floor king suite was small and the fold out sofa bed was pretty torturous. The attached restaurant (McKinley's Grille) was not very good. We ate dinner there the first night. The clam chowder was strong tasting/smelling and the chopped salad was really nothing - pretty much a bowl of lettuce. The eggplant ravioli was good, however. The complimentary breakfast was just ok. The TV check-out didn't work after 6 tries Sunday morning, and you do have to check out at this hotel. (Some hotels give you the bill under the door your last morning and you just leave the keys in the room - here you actually must either check out via the TV, or at the front desk.) If you are not out of the room by noon, they charge you 75% of a day's rate! The pool and jacuzzi area were nice, but I never saw any personnel around to ask for the scaldingly hot jacuzzi to be turned down a couple of degrees. The jacuzzi was almost never being used, and this was probably the reason. Parking is normally included in the room rate (room was not cheap - $200/night with tax, etc.,) but because of the LA County Fair we were charged an additional $8.00 per night for parking. I thought that was unwarranted. What is the message there? We would prefer to use our lot for Fair Parking for a day rather than use it for our registered guests?

Room Tip: Top floor room was pretty quiet. Our room overlooked the back of the hotel and the view was really...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Irvine, California
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton so we could attend the 2011 Los Angeles County Fair. The suite was quite spacious and very clean. The "Sweet Sleeper bed" was a joy to sleep on, as the both of us did a lot of walking around the fair every day and were ready to hit the hay when we got back at night.
The fridge and microwave are a nice touch. Hotel staff members were friendly and courteous. We splurged for room service for two nights in a row and it was certainly worth it! The food was quite delicious! (steak and caesar salad one night, next night: club sandwich and a cheeseburger) Yum! Our server was very prompt and polite. Our AAA package included the breakfast buffet at McKinley's Grille. They offer a very nice selection of breakfast goodies, including a very tasty sausage!
In closing, you can't go wrong by staying at the Sheraton Fairplex.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Route66USA
Greetings Route66USA,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write these positive comments about your recent stay with us. At the Sheraton Fairplex, we strive to provide our guests with a pleasing and memorable experience and I am pleased that we met your needs during your stay. Again, thank you for your time and your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

John Gilbert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pomona
Comfort Inn Pomona
Hotel Casa 425
Hotel Casa 425
#2 of 5 in Claremont
Holiday Inn Express San Dimas

Been to Sheraton Fairplex Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!