“Casual Mexican Food in Pomona”
Review of Tropical Mexico

Tropical Mexico
Ranked #5 of 205 Restaurants in Pomona
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Zip is 91766
Escondido, California
“Casual Mexican Food in Pomona”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I used to eat here all the time about 25 years ago when I worked a couple blocks away. We'd have lunches consisting of pitchers of margaritas... it was great. I had not been back to Tropical Mexico in about that many years when my parents suggested it recently. They've gotten into the habit of eating there a lot lately and apparently love the carnitas fajitas and the margaritas.

We arrived on a Monday night and it was fairly busy, but we were seated right away. My dad ordered us a pitcher of margaritas right away, but when it came he wasn't happy with the taste and asked for a fresh pitcher. Frankly, I'm not a margarita drinker, so I couldn't really tell the difference between the two pitchers, but he was much happier with the second one. We were brought chips and salsa and menus.

The menu is pretty extensive, but I thought a little confusing in the layout. I reviewed it for a while and decided to go with a combo so that I could try a few different items. My combo was a chile rellano, a beef taco, a cheese enchilada and a tamale. The parents ordered the carnitas fajitas with extra tortillas. Both meals came with salad, which is pretty much a plate of lettuce and dressing.

The food arrived quickly and the parents loved theirs. I really liked my taco, which came in a fried shell, but the other three items were kind of boring. I could have spiced them up with salsa, but I don't like to have too much salsa close to bed time. The chile rellano really had no flavor and the tamale was on the dry side, the cheese enchilada tasted just like a cheese enchilada, so it was fine. I guess next time I should try the fajitas!

The service was really good. Apparently my parents have a waitress they like, but the waitress who took care of us that night was really great and we all liked her.

Overall, this was a good experience. I'd go back and try some other items.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank ladyjadegd

West Covina, California
“Great Drinks”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a good time here. Went on a Saturday evening, was lively and very busy.Is a "hole in the wall." Drinks were really good especially the Michelada. Would go back just for that. Food was good. Staff was friendly, the only complain would be is out waiter barely spoke English so it was hard for us to get what we needed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ushma P
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Great food small prices”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Out on a Saturday night and wanted Mexican with flavor and ended up here. The atmosphere here is a family ran "hole in the wall" clean on the inside with great staff and good food. I had the meatball soup more comonly known as "Aljondigas Soup".. Served in a big bowl with flour tortilla and all the fixens .. Yummy

June Lake, California
“Mexican Food at its Best”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I love the Combo with 2 tacos and 2 enchiladas. Leaves me with a meal to take home. Food tastes great! Try the ceviche WOW! Good stuff or the oysters on the half shell. Who knew?

Visited June 2012