“Romance and a little adventure, close to home.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Richmond
East Brother Light Station
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Want to escape to an island? Want wonderful food, wines and attentive care, along with a dash of history and adventure? For many years I have been aware of East Brother Light Station, and we finally got there for my husband's birthday in early February. It is worth the effort - not only a charming Victorian 1870's lighthouse B&B, but a delightful trip into the past with gorgeous vistas of San Francisco from your rock in the East Bay. Your hosts Peter and Dina are gracious, attentive and knowledgeable, and Dina is a fabulous chef, using local produce, cheeses, wines and coffee. There are only five rooms, so it's cozy. We were very lucky with weather, which was so mild that we could have our homemade hummus and pita chips at the outside table, watching the sun set over Mt. Tamalpais and West Brother Island. Dinner was delicious and elegant: wild mushroom soup, a greens/Halouma cheese salad, roast chicken with garlic mashed potatoes, and both strawberry shortcake and creme brulee for dessert. Breakfast was also fresh and hearty - buckwheat crepes stuff with bacon and apricot jam, fruit, and various breads and jams. Wines, champagne and coffee complimented the menus.
It's a bit of an adventure getting to EBLS. You take a rough road across an abandoned Navy base to the charmingly funky San Pablo Yacht Harbor, where Peter picks you up with the EBLS boat. I was a little worried about the laddder one has to clijmb from the boat to the landing, but it is firmly anchored in concrete and has enough height that you don't have to crawl on your belly to get ashore, you can step onto the landing. Our group of six ranged in age from late 50's to 80, and we all scrambled up with no problem. Once on the island, Dina shows you around, and gets you settled, then Peter regales you with the story of the lighthouse's rise, fall, and restoration. In the morning, Peter will fire up the old 'diaphone' foghorn and blow it for you. It''s LOUD!
EBLS is not cheap - rates start at $295/night. But for a special occasion or just to get away to something a little magical, it is well worth the cost. I hope to go back when I am 80!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lanisteele

Reviewed January 1, 2011

I've known about East Brothers for about 25 years and finally made reservations to give it a try. As Vinnie (who was one of the other guests the night we stayed) mentioned the trip to the dock to catch the boat was an adventure in itself. This area is really in the backwaters of the bay just over the hill from an oil refinery. The not so maintained road takes you through an abandoned military reservation and past the remnants of old buildings and docks. The marina from which guests are picked up is definitely off the beaten path and is a place time forgot. The dogs are many and very friendly. Our host Peter arrived right on time and transported us to the island. The tide was low so we had to climb about 10 feet up a vertical ladder at the dock. Dina was there to meet us. I can't stress enough what a great team they are, personally and professionally.
My wife and I were in the West Brother room which provided a great view of the bay and Marin County. The whole trip could not have been better. Yes, it is crisp and windy at times but dress warmly and you won't have a problem. As noted before we had champagne and a selection of cheeses and other delights in the study and got to meet the other guests. The dinner was nothing short of magnificent. Dina is truly an artiste in the kitchen. After dinner you have pretty much complete run of the island including the lighthouse on top which provides a spectacular view. Our bedroom was cozy and warm and the foghorn nearby was no problem at all. We shared a bathroom with a mother and daughter which was not a big deal at all. Breakfast was at 9:00 and, again, was filling and oh so delicious. We had trout for dinner and crepes and eggs for breakfast. Again, Dina outdid herself. She and Peter take their meals very seriously and spend a lot of time visiting markets in the area searching for new items.
After breakfast there was more time to relax or explore. After a week of bad weather the skies were crisp and clear. Peter gave a tour of the old fog horn mechanicals and fired up a near century old compressor and blew the old and very loud foghorn. Then it was back on the boat and the adventure came to an end.
The whole trip exceeded our expectations and we plan to return and tell everyone about it. Dina and Peter have been there only a month said they'll probably be there about two years. Don't miss them! Also, our group of visitors made the trip even more enjoyable. All ten of us were fairly local (Napa, Marin, Sacramento and Antioch) and shared a lot of experiences. But even if that were not the case you all become fast friends. Great place!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heloman
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I first noticed the East Brother’s Light Station when I was traveling across the Richmond Bridge, and saw it in the distance. I wondered, “That lighthouse is pretty big, I wonder if they have a restaurant out there that you would need to get to by boat.” Imagine my surprise when I looked on Google maps and saw that there was a bed & breakfast smack dab in the middle of the bay. It didn’t take long for me to start planning a special occasion or me and the little lady.
First thing to note is that the dock to get there is out in the middle of nowhere. The final stretch of road leading there has more holes than Swiss cheese and if you don’t take it slow, you’ll probably have to get your alignment checked. If I knew, I would’ve taken the truck.
Being the punctual person I am, my lady and I got to the dock at 4 pm give or take a minute, only to find out the boat was not there. Another mother & daughter party had came in with us in a car behind, and both of us were worried they had left us because we weren’t there “promptly at 4pm.” Not to worry. The boat carries only 6 people at a time and with the island having an occupancy total of 10, they would soon be back. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to the island. I went during the winter months and I would recommend having a pair of gloves or mittens. They aren’t required, but you’d be glad to have thrown them into your bag if you did. It gets pretty windy on that rock.
The island is very quaint. There are a total of 5 rooms. In the main lighthouse, two rooms are situated upstairs (The Marin & San Francisco) and each have their own private bathrooms. They are connected by a common parlor area, in which the various groups hung out, conversed or played one of the many board games provided on the premises. We were also treated with hors d’oeuvres in the parlor room. The bottom houses the Twin Sister’s room & West Brother’s room being connected by the group dining room. The rooms on the bottom share a bathroom. We stayed in the Marin room and the only issue was that my party wanted to head to bed early to catch the morning sunrise, but we would be able to hear all the people talking in the parlor room. However, earplugs are provided for the foghorn, and we used these to drown out any other sounds. If you are worried about the foghorn that runs every 20 seconds, non-stop, from October – June, it is not as bad as it sounds. It is actually soothing and you soon learn to block it out. Again, earplugs are provided as well.
The food was excellent. The new innkeepers are great hosts and had been caretakers for 1 month when we visited. Dina is a great cook, and dinner and breakfast were made with such care and was extremely delicious. Peter is very charming and funny. Being an ex-high school teacher, and with his knowledge of the history of the lighthouse, you’d think he taught history. Dinner was on a long dining table and the combination of great food and company made the night awesome.
Now that I’ve been here, I’m looking forward to coming back. Next time, maybe I’ll ask a group of 10 friends to rent out all the rooms, host a dinner party (where I don’t end up doing dishes), and play board games through the night. I would totally recommend the East Brother’s light house.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vinniev20
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Ed & Anne, the lighthouse keepers did a great job making us feel welcome & spoiled.They work harder than most B&B owners because they fix hors d'oeuvres, a 3 course dinner & breakfast! It was delightful sleeping in a brass bed with duvets & a quilt! Looking out our window from the Marin room, we could see guano rock with seagulls catching the wind currents and floating effortlessly. Having complete access to the actual lighthouse tower was awesome. We sent upstairs 4 or 5 times at different times of the evening to see the sunset & the full moon rising over the water.
Delightful!! For a lighthouse lover-fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank auntgretchen
Reviewed April 20, 2010

This was the best place I have ever stayed. From the time we were picked up in the harbour to the return trip back, it was awesome. The food, excellent. The accomadations, excellent. And the host and hostess, were the best ever. If you are a lighthouse lover this is a must. They even have day trips out to the island.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl W
Reviewed May 4, 2009

What a find! I was looking for a special get-a-way experience to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday and stumbled upon the East Brother Light Station Bed and Breakfast. The tiny island is a short ten minute boat ride away. The road to the harbor is an adventure in itself. Ed and Anne, the innkeepers since February 2009, are gracious hosts, calling in advance to find out food preferences. We were rewarded with a salmon dinner that would rival any five star restaurant. There isn't alot to do on the island and there are no showers for overnight stays, but this is an experience not to be missed.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hedgewriter
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We had a wonderful overnight stay. The island is tiny and lovely, with amazing views of San Francisco Bay. The lighthousekeepers were friendly and welcoming. Champaign and hors d'oeuvres were served outside at dusk, which was particularly nice.

The main house includes several larger rooms, but we stayed in a separate little building known as "Walter's Quarters." Though quite small (and therefore the cheapest room), we actually found it the most charming.

Really a unique experience!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Penguin_Fan

Been to East Brother Light Station? Share your experiences!