“High hopes not quite met at Station House Cafe”
Review of Station House Cafe

Station House Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mesa Road
Transit: West Marin Coach travels twice daily from Central Marin.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

After a lovely spring hike at Chimney Rock, we headed to the Pine Cone Diner for an anticipated delicious lunch. Sad to sad, it was closed for the day and we went to the nearby Station House Cafe. This restaurant held a lot of promise and expectations were met in terms of atmosphere , price and service. A number of good wines are sold by the glass. The food was good but not great. My dish was fettuccine with mussels and it was somewhat bland. My partner had the fried oysters and french fries served with cole slaw. The potatoes were great, the oysters very good but the cole slaw was just o.k. The bread was less than great and the Bay Area is one place that we have access to wonderful bread. Still, I would go back to try some of their other items.

There are newer reviews for Station House Cafe

Reviewed April 8, 2013

New Orleans jazz in the bar and very tasty beet salad, ribs on the table. what's not to like. Sorry others have had trouble with the service. Our waitstaff were personable, cheerful and very accommodating to our shared entrees, etc.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

To begin with, the Station House Cafe is a full restaurant (though I'd bet they have great coffee and I did see a pretty complete bar) and a lovely one at that. Banks of multi-paned windows look out to the town of Pt. Reyes Station, an area known for it's excellent farms and products--oysters, cheese, etc. There are many choices on the menu for children, including a hot dog, which--because I was there instead of at the SF Giants' home opener--I selected as my entree. One word: Sauerkraut. Two words: Get it. The SHC version was tart, but not grimace-level, and so fresh tasting, which is an interesting paradox considering sauerkraut is a fermented product. I asked for the topping of Black Bean & Turkey Chili to be put "on the side" which was a great decision and allowed me to taste the genius of the flavors distinctly. My husbands entree came with a corn muffin--a giant corn muffin as big as his fist and proportionally savory. I have stopped elsewhere in Pt. Reyes, but for a lovely lunch equal to the splendor of the nature of the environs, this is my first choice from now on.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I will admit to being just a little biased. I have been coming on vacation to this tiny town since I was a wee child (40 years ago!) so I have seen this establishment wax and wane in popularity. I think it is currently on the uptick with it's newly painted exterior, gorgeous garden seating and beautiful fresh flower arrangements.

This place is always full. It is a favorite destination of wildly disparate types of people, which makes it fun and interesting. Harley riding clubs, bikers, old hippies, hikers and wealthy city dwellers rolling up in fancy convertibles..,. Come as you are and enjoy a good meal. There is something for everyone -- high priced entrees as well as excellent soups, salads and burgers. The standard bread basket is filled with warm popovers. What a treat!

They use local foods and I have enjoyed most every meal eaten there -- from my carnivore days to my presently vegan incarnation.

Everyone in our party of nine raved about their meal this week. one comment from the entire table from pre teen to octegenarian would be, "Dont miss the onion rings!"

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The weather was great so we ate outdoors on their delightful patio. The service, but for one tiny departure flaw, was outstanding. And the food was marvelous. We've been here before but had never eaten on the patio due to weather. My wife's wild mushroom sandwich was excellent as was my pulled pork.Our server failed us in only one respect: when we left she handed me my receipt and said, "There you go, have a nice day." Given I am a traditionalist I still believe nothing can top "Thank you." The busser was outstanding and told us, when we volunteered that everything was excellent, that he was pleased. He also volunteered "Thank you for coming in" and seemed very sincere.