“The Worst Ever!!! Don't stay there if you can help it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Abalone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
Abalone Inn
Irvine, California
“The Worst Ever!!! Don't stay there if you can help it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

This was certainly the most terrible room I have ever stayed, I say that with confidence as I traveled the world for the last 30 years and never had the room where you couldn't even use the toilet properly.
Breakfast was minimal, too - Donna, the owner will put the butter on your bread - just to make sure you don't use too much...
We stayed there only because we found ourselves in Point Reyes unexpectedly. Wold not recommend this place to my worst enemy, seriously.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank putovanje_11

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Sigh....I hate writing this but damn, I have to. My boyfriend and I decided last minute to go for a night alone, no kids to Point Reyes/Inverness. Because it was a holiday weekend, I was having trouble finding a vacant room in the area. I got the last room available here (The Mountain Room) and it was cheap. Shouldve hung up lol. Drive there was easy. Drove up to the CRAMPED parking spot (had to be careful as there were bees everywhere when I opened the door). Couple was in the parking lot WITH THEIR TODDLER and the innkeeper was happy she didnt have to go through her instructions twice. She must be reading these reviews because we had no cobwebs or bugs and she forced some compliments out of her fake smile.
THIS PLACE IS RIDDLED WITH INSTRUCTIONS AND NOTICES EVERYWHERE. Our room was small with a bathroom in a hallway. She took our payment immediately. She took my Visa # over the phone as a hold over the phone but demanded cash on arrival. There were 4+ men staying in the only upstairs room. More on that later. We went into town for dinner which was nice but was already trying to pull an "Aunt Emily" or sick kid excuse to get the hell outta there. The dog was so cute but yes you can smell pee there. Nice stock of tea available. We chatted with the innkeeper till our ALLOTTED time in the hot tub, one hour from 9-10. Very private, best hour of the trip. We went to our room and the pillows might have well not been there FLAT. Bed didnt creak which was a relief :). Could hear EVERYTHING through the house. Worst part was beyond her control, the dudes upstairs WOULD NOT SHUT UP till 12 am. I ended up saying a loud "shut the **** up after 2 hours of listiening to there inane chatter. Soon after they did.Could hear couple down the hall but thankfully it didnt last long.
Not being able to flush toilet paper was AWFUL. Barely got maybe 4 hours sleep. We were up and outta there before 8AM skipping her breakfast. This probably put me off B&Bs for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: If you plan on staying here get the attic room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JoJoStateWorker

Travelers are raving about these Point Reyes Station hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

When you wipe your butt, make sure to put the toilet paper in the "sanitary can" (like it's a thing, "sanitary can"), not in the toilet. Oh, wait...you don't have a "sanitary can" at your house? If your plumbing can't perform it's only function--then upgrade it. Weirdo.

I should have sped off as soon as I read the first of many sets of directions (this one about removing my shoes and placing them under the bench to the right, behind the door) and had my first strange, 30 second conversation with the proprietor about why I just walked through the unlocked door and didn't "ring the bell loudly" as instructed by the sign. There were instructions and reminders posted every where. It made us extremely uncomfortable. If they don't want people in their house, they should find another line of work.

There is a reason she takes the money up front. It's because she knows you'd bail if she didn't. We came extremely close to not actually staying the night and finding another place. Only reason we didn't was so to not reflect poorly on the person who recommended this dump. I can not say enough bad things about this train wreck of an inn.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank roadhard
Sonora, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

3 couples, all related, booked the upstairs suite for the kitchen area and 2 downstairs bedrooms inside the house. Beds were comfortable, place was clean, hosts were very friendly and breakfast was enough. Found out due to Marin Co. laws, you can't break an egg without having a commercial kitchen w/3 sinks and host of other rules. Stupid, but there ya are. Since this is an old house, there are some things you accommodate that wouldn't occur in a modern place but they aren't burdensome and for the price, you can't beat it. All family members happy with our stay here and we will be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FoothillsFamily
Rocklin, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

We paid only $110, that's what I kept telling myself. The room was adequate and clean. Private bath was outside the bedroom in the hall (we got the cheapest room). Breakfast was minimal as everyone says. The place is cluttered and the grounds are all overgrown. Yes, there are signs/instructions literally every few feet throughout the inn and outside, it's comical really. We used the hot tub and it was nice and clean and hot and we were the only ones there, which was great. The area is fun, the innkeeper is nice, the place is inexpensive. Would I stay here again? Probably not. But I was comfortable and I enjoyed myself - I have no real complaints. Don't expect luxury.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet077
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

On Friday night, I finally decided it would be smarter to book a place to stay
for our last minute birthday getaway weekend then just show up in Point Reyes
and hope for the best. I was shooting for a cottage/cabin, but came across the Abalone Inn website and liked the look of the attic suite (and the price). I called quite late in the evening, but Dona answered. We made an arrangement to meet at the Inn at noon the next day, and there was no surprise in being asked for a check for our stay upon arrival, as most smaller properties don't take credit cards.

Dona was waiting for us on the stairs as we pulled up and graciously gave us a
requested tour before we committed, as I needed some reassurance that this was
the right place for us. It didn't take long after walking through the front door
to know that it was. What others have referred to as "clutter" struck me
instantly as windows into the soul of the place. The books and magazines were
eclectic and thought-provoking, as was the art. I almost wished it was raining
when we checked in, as the comfy sitting area by the fireplace and the soft,
lilting music made me want to curl up with one of the nearby books and magazines
and sip on some tea or cocoa. The attic suite, which is the entire top floor of
the house, was perfect. There is a stocked kitchenette and a big sliding glass
door looking out onto gardens and chickens. The suite itself had an amazing view
out onto the wetlands, and was so spacious that we did feel like we were in our
own cozy cabin. The bathroom was larger than I've experienced at a
B&B, and it had a view of the vegetable garden.

After sitting down and going over some of the local attractions and
restaurants, we settled up with Dona and headed out to explore. In the late
afternoon, we returned to the Inn and decided we were done for the day. Perry's
Deli, a few doors down from the Inn, has delicious, cheap sandwiches that we
picked up along with soup and wine for our evening in. We took a soak in the
large hottub, which Dona has heated and ready every day by 5pm, and then settled
into our comfy suite for some reading and games. After a very restful sleep in
the comfy king bed, we were delivered a tray of fresh fruit, whole wheat
toast, fresh squeezed orange juice and lightly colored hard-boiled eggs plus
condiments. Dona also included a lit birthday candle in a holder in honor of my
birthday.
One of the things we loved about this place, among many, is that if you want
privacy, you get it. Dona seemed very adept at reading her guests. At the end of
our stay, we got to sit down and talk with her, and realized why we loved her
place so much. Just like her, it was welcoming, entertaining, relaxed and...
well, kind.

I could not find better rates in the area (starting at $110), and I'm so very
grateful we didn't end up paying $250 for a cold, sterile cottage lacking
personality.

It was hard to leave and we will be back. If you've ever used the words
"pretentious", "sterile", or "soulless" to describe a bad lodging experience, then you may be the type to appreciate the charming Abalone Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SusanCade
Portola Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Donna is really nice and hard working. She is super eco-conscious. If you are the type to enjoy alternative settings, spirituality or new age, for example, and if you are not expecting the Sheraton, this could be your place. Each room is unique and has its own charm.

The mattress was very comfortable and we slept well there. We were at first annoyed by the many rules, but Donna is super nice and flexible, so they were not a problem.

The Cost: everything is pricey in Pt. Reyes. Abalone Inn is a good value, considering that breakfast is included and so is a nice hot tub. Donna even served one breakfast with fresh eggs from her chickens in the back yard--can you beat that?

The food: we do not recommend Priscilla's down the street. On a weekend, the best restaurants could be sold-out. Instead, we recommend doing a BBQ using the Weber on the patio. Bring your own brickettes. We recommend purchasing oysters from Drake's Bay for a fun BBQ. Delicious! We had a blast meeting the other guests.

Location: you can't beat it. It's right next to Tomales Bay and near the restaurants and grocery stores.

The one thing that I did not enjoy was the music in the main room, but I am not a new age fan and the music was thankfully restricted to the main room. Otherwise, we had a wonderful time and would return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
#4 of 15 in Point Reyes Station
Point Reyes Hostel
Point Reyes Hostel
#1 of 2 in Point Reyes Station

Been to Abalone Inn? Share your experiences!